Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em

I don't really have anything profound to discuss today, so I'm going to resort to cutesy pet pictures. I don't think I've ever done that, so I'm not going to feel terribly guilty about taking the easy way out today, especially since I never share pictures of my children.

We have three cats, despite the fact that Husband is allergic. That was an accident. We started with two cats; Chester and Betsy. Betsy got sick and had to be put to sleep. The kids were distraught, but not so distraught that they did not recognize an opportunity to exploit their grief and guilt me into another pet.

Enter Bo the cat.

We adopted Bo from the Fulton County animal shelter, which is a terribly sad place. So many beautiful pets needing a home; all of them looking at you with beseeching eyes. SIGH. I would take them all home if I could.

Bo was a juvenile and placed on the very bottom row of cages. The kittens of course, were all placed at eye level. We wouldn't have seen him if he hadn't stuck out his paw and beckoned to us as we walked by.

Bo is very stupid, but very sweet, and really, the best behaved of the three. Bo will sit in front of a door that is open an inch or so and wait for someone to open it further so he can get out. Sometimes, one of the other two will open it for him, and I swear, they roll their eyes while they do it. Perhaps he is not stupid, but rather diabolically smart.

Bo will occasionally wander off if an opportunity presents itself. With two boys who can't seem to remember to close a door, those opportunities are not infrequent. I honestly think he forgets how to get home. On one such occasion, Bo was gone for a month, and we had to talk to the boys about the possibility that he was dead, or that someone had taken him in and made him their own.

Again, they were distraught, again, they suckered me into another pet. We went to pick up Chester, who was in for surgery on his leg for an abscess. In the waiting room of the vet's office was a cage containing a 10 week old kitten who was a carbon copy of Chester. He was vigorously attacking some kind of rag toy and he was undeniably adorable.

Oh, the begging, the whining, the pleading! The kids really wantd him too. Husband couldn't take it and so, Leo came home with us.

Two days later, Bo came home.

The kids were overjoyed. Husband? Less so. Not that he wasn't glad to have Bo back safe and sound, but three cats in our small house is, admittedly, a bit much, especially for his immune system, which generally does a good job adjusting, but does get overwhelmed if too much fur is flying.

So, anyway. I've been trying to get them not to sleep on the furniture. As you know, you can't make a cat do anything. So I've encouraged them, by purchasing several little pet beds and scattering them around the house.

Bo will not sleep in or on anything. He sleeps right smack in the middle of the floor or on the steps. He has been tripped over more times than I can count, and still he does this. Tolja. He is one dumb feline.

The other two love the beds. Actually, they love the same bed. Chester is really the alpha male and so, claims the bed as his own. Leo, the youngster, sometimes tries to roust him from the bed, with little success. His best hope is to get to it before Chester does.

Recently, Chester, who although the undisputed king of the castle, is not an aggressive cat, (none of them reallly are) decided he wasn't going to put up with that. But wasn't quite sure how to eject Leo without resorting to violence.

Here is what happened:

He actually started out sitting just outside of the bed, but I didn't think to take a picture at that point. He meowed sternly. Leo ignored him.



So he slowly inched closer, and closer....



And here folks, is the embodiment of the saying "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."



So there you go, gratuitous cuteness.

BTW, that is my ugly dining room, ca. 1984, which, in the absence of actual dining room furniture has become a storage area for my workout stuff, and the place where the cats congregate, by virture of a large picture window that lets in the afternoon sun in a huge swath each afternoon.

Since then, I have purchased one of those huge puffy dog bed things at the dollar store and the problem seems to be solved. Leo, the upstart, tried to bogart that too, but Chester put a stop to that pretty quickly.

Please forgive the fluffy (pun intended) nature of this post. I'm experiencing technical difficulties of the female kind, and just not in the mood for anything, really, except some hot (literally) sex with a heating pad.

21 Comments:

  • At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I aquired 2 cats when my husband moved in with me, I was never really a pet person but now i love them, your post made me want to put pics on of mine, watch this space lol
    Cute cats!
    Pol x

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cats are awesome. My cat, Phil (yes, Phil, like Donahue), seems to always have a look on his face that says "F**k you. Now pet me."

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Terri said…

    Gratuitous or not, it's darn cute1

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chester looks a lot like one of our cats (Buster). He got his name when after being put in the bathroom to acclimate to the house as a tiny, tiny kitten he managed to unroll an entire roll of toilet paper. Still not exactly sure how he got up that high top get it started.

    Our other cat is as dumb as a box of rocks. She was very sick as a kitten and wasn't breathing well. We swear she was oxygen deprived at some point. But she is cute.

    Buster - shut the hell up and open the door.

    Cali - what's a door????

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    Welcome to the dark side. It's nice here. Fluffy and cute and nice.

    Makes me miss my kitty who went away this summer.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger S said…

    They are so cute! I like ginger-colored cats.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have horrible, horrible cat allergies, but I also have an undying love for cats. (Isn't it always that way -- how many cat haters are allergic?) I have had up to six cats, and the way that I survive it is by using Rhinocort. It's a prescription nasal spray, and since I've been using it, I am like everyone else. No sneezing, running/itchy eyes, etc. -- no misery at all! Might be worth a try.

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    We are cat people at my house too... though thankfully no one is allergic. Great pics... I am continually amazed at your story telling abilities ~ female issues or no. You are a rock star! :)

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    I want a cat.

    Husband wants a dog.

    Husband doesn't understand that if we get a cat now, we can get a dog later. I'm cool with dogs and I'd love to have one, but not at this point in my life.

    Husband says if we get a cat we must get a dog too.

    So we have no cat....but no dog, either.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    Oh man, those are some seriously cute cats.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    Oh man, those are some seriously cute cats.

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm allergic to cats too, and we have the Worthless Pet, who has fallen madly in love with me and will not let me out of his sight.

    I used to have a Maine Coon Cat that was dumb. I mean really really dumb. He couldn't deal with doors either. Once he got stuck for hours between the door and the storm door and just sat there waiting for someone to open the door and let him in. Dumb as a box of rocks.

    Doncha love the way cats snuggle up with their arms around each other? So sweet.

    Oh, and you have a lonesome F at the very top of your blog, above the banner. It appears to be new... or I never noticed it before. But it's got to be a mistake.

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    cutesy pet pictures. i love that you did this because it was entirely unexpected.

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Alex Elliot said…

    What great pictures! I finally gave away our dog bed because the dog had another one that he liked better: our bed. Our cats enjoy their heated cat bed. What can I say except that they're spoiled!

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Blogger Liv said…

    Adorable cats. And what can I say? You have a lot to say for some one with nothing to say!

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said…

    A friend of mine called one night, sobbing, because her cat, Tabitha, had vanished. Shortly after, she adopted another one.

    Three months later, someone in her old neighborhood -- she had moved, prompting Tabitha's wanderings -- and said he had her cat.

    Tabitha was a little thin, but otherwise her cantankerous self.

    She was NOT happy to find a companion in her kitty bed.

    They did, eventually, become friends, however.

    Love the pics.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Ms. Skywalker said…

    I don't care what anyone says, they have souls, and they deliver wonderful things to ours.

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a cat person, so this type of fluff is right up my alley (pun intended - get it? Alley cat...) Seems like you are not the only blogger feeling a bit off today! Thanks for the cuteness, it warmed my day. Your babies are adorable.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, they're very cute.

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger painted maypole said…

    makes me miss our kitties. We witnessed many such moments.

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    Oh, seeing two kitties together has made me so wistful. My older cat is so confused now that her pal is gone.

    And, I love that one of yours sleeps on the steps! It is as if he is saying, 'Don't forget about me!!!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home