Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Monday, May 06, 2013

They Called Him Pork Chop

After the response from my post about self  harm, which both surprised and delighted my son, he begins to comprehend the power and the scope of social media in a way he never has before. Which is kind of ironic, considering my readership is pretty nil these days. He asked me to post this video on my blog.  Because in his mind, it's all related. Which breaks my heart in ways you can't even begin to imagine. It makes me cry. I'm crying now and I've already seen it twenty times. I'm not crying because the video is so evocative and poignant....it is. Ohhhh, it is. But I'm crying because it is so deeply meaningful to him. I wish it wasn't. 

Watch, share, act. Please.


 


His favorite line from this video..."If you can't see anything beautiful about yourself, get a better mirror."

He thought that was genius. I do too.







3 Comments:

  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    I've been reading your blog for years now, long enough to not remember how I stumbled across it, and long enough that I am always excited when my Google Reader shows a new post. I've so enjoyed hearing your sons (particularly your youngest)grow up from afar. Please let him know that his recent triumphs give me so much hope for my own young daughter, who struggles with ADHD and social immaturity. I've spent many sleepless nights wondering how I can make things easier for her and help shield her from pain. Thank you both for helping me to realize that even though I can't protect her forever, she may well find the same strength within herself to do it on her own.

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    Being open about what he's feeling is a great step for him. I'm glad that he's seeing something beautiful about himself.

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Anonymous SandyG said…

    I was one of those kids who couldn't see anything beautiful about themselves. I finally got a better mirror after adulthood, but it took a long time. Now I'm a teacher doing my best to help change things.

    Your son will be stronger faster than I was, because he has the courage to speak up now. I admire him.

    By the way, there's another group, Defeat the Label/Stand4Change coming out of metro Detroit that people should check out. https://www.socialply.com/campaigns/8

     

Post a Comment

<< Home