Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Not Only Not Stupid....

....but incredibly intelligent, informative, and refreshingly relevant.

I am not a numbers person. Being neither a neurosurgeon nor a psychologist, I'm not sure if that's a right brain/left brain thing, or a simple quirk of human nature. The point is, numbers do not just "make sense" to me, as they do to my husband and sons.

I can absorb and retain countless historical facts. I can learn languages. I can enjoy and appreciate the interprative beauty of art and poetry. I can even string together a series of fairly well-contructed sentences (though I struggle with run-ons; they are my literary achilles heel.) with reasonably cogent results. And nobody, but nobody can beat me at Boggle, Scrabble, Flipwords, or Balderdash. But ask me to do a simple equation...and I break out in a cold sweat.

That said, Mr. BA and I, in an attempt to actually have something left with which feather our nest with after our chicks have left it and been properly educated on how to fly solo, have spent the last five years or so taking stock of our personal finances and formulating a plan for the future. I'm proud to say we have successfully completed step 1 of that plan, which was to eliminate all of our unsecured debt. Talk about a weight being lifted. I'm embarassed to say how much we had amassed, so I won't, but suffice it to say, we could have fed a small country on what we spent on nothing at all, really; mere trifles. Well, except our honeymoon to Europe. It was worth every penny of that 21.5% interest.

Anyway...Economy and all it entails scares the pee out of me, (not hard to do since son #2 came into the world at a fighting weight well over that which any woman should be expected to birth) to be quite honest, but I feel its important to understand at least the basic principles if I'm to be instrumental in executing The Grand Plan, especially since most of the cash that so quickly leaves our posession does so through my hands, by virtue of my position here at BA Inc.; raiser of children, keeper of house, procurer of food, clothing, medical care and requisite sporting goods/apparel.

So I've been browsing economic and finance blogs and came upon this. At first glance, its pretty dry reading, unless you're an Economist or Financier. Frankly, my first instict was gouge out my eyes and rend my garments...but if you dig a little deeper you will find that there is some really good information there.

What I learned:

  • Who Alan Greenspan is (KIDDING, kidding...but only a little).

  • What a Housing Bubble is, how it was created, and why it probably won't be going away any time soon.

  • How Foreign and Domestic trade impact our economy.

  • What a Bourse is and why we should hope that it dosen't come to fruition.

  • All about home equity, and why it should not be used indiscriminately (OOPS).


You will find all that and so much more in this blog. Did I understand all of it? Not by a longshot. But it's a start. If you're an economics nitwit like me, I think you will find it as informative as I did. So, without further ado, I give you:



The Mess that Greenspan Made
How 18 years of Easy Money Have Changed the World

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home