Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Georgia On My Mind

Warning: This post will probably not be erudite, witty, or thought provoking. It is just your average run of the mill rant.

People in Georgia are crazy.

In 2004 State Superintendant Kathy Cox proposed the removal of text books that referenced Evolution and replacing them with those that supported Intelligent Design. Kathy Cox explained that "Evolution is a buzzword that causes a lot of negative reaction." People supported this. Thankfully, common sense prevailed, and the proposal was not accepted. However, references to Natural Selection and Origin of Man were removed, and have not as yet, been restored.

Last year, there was the whole "Laptop for Every Student" fiasco. The proposal was for a SPLOST generated $70 million dollars to purchase an APPLE laptop for every child in our county. There were so many things wrong with this that I can't even conceivably address them all in the 30 mins I've allotted myself for blogging this evening. And people supported this.

NOW there is a proposal afoot to add BIBLE classes to public schools. Elective, of course. So how could anybody possibly object. Hmmm. Anybody heard of that pesky little thing called Separation of Church and State? Not to mention the fact that class time is already so jam packed with state mandated curriculum that there is barely time for recess. Who needs recess when you have the First Testament?

And tonight I heard on the news that some uber Christian nitwit housewives with too much free time on their hands are launching a crusade to have the Harry Potter books removed from school libraries, because they expose children to EEEEEEEEEVil. And guess what? YES! They have gained a following and....people are supporting this.

Just recently, a vote was passed to discontinue music enrichment programs at the Middle and High School levels. Not in my county, but I suspect it's only a matter of time.

I am so fed up with this kind of ignorant bible thumping propaganda being crammed down out throats. I am so sick of people being short sighted, narrow minded and downright stupid when it affects my children. And I am sick of people not getting out there and VOTING when issues like this come up.

I have got to get my kids out of this state.

Now, has anybody seen my spleen?

8 Comments:

  • At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ha! Your disclaimer is funny :)

    Not to be nosy but whereabouts, generally, in GA do you live? I have a good friend in Cherokee county (Canton area)

    Non-voters really chafe my ass. And sorry, I've not seen a spleen around :)

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger M said…

    Ha ha! sorry, not only in Georgia. It's the South in general! I moved to the Carolinas from California a few years ago and felt like the world had come to a complete stop and reverse! It's surreal. I have learned to live with it and made a couple friends who have all moved here from the "other side". It's weird - but, not unusual. Do you all have the stupid "no alcohol sold on Sunday" rule? My God - where are we?
    www.thewritemom.blogspot.com

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    Izzy: I live in West Cobb County. We are the fastest growing county in GA currently. Yee. Haw.

    KeeKee: Yes, we have the no alchohol on Sunday rule. I really have no idea what this is supposed to accomplish. ((eye rolling))

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Honey. I feel your pain. I'm in MS, remember. I think I was scorned (in private, of course) for buying my friend's son a Harry Potter book. ACK.

    And we can buy beer on Sunday - the town over, nothing... And nothing is open on Sundays until 1pm and bars close at 12am on Saturday night.

    It sucks.

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    This Northerner is not touching this topic with a ten-foot pole... Its too hard to add my point of view without coming across as snooty. So, instead, I will say that the last time I was in Georgia (the South in general, actually) I noticed that what was lacking in common sense was almost made up for in sheer kindness. And kindness is in short supply these days... as is common sense! Just an outsider's observation.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    Ms. Chicky, you are absolutely correct. I do have to say that Southerners are among some of the friendliest, kindest, and most generous people I have ever encountered. I have a hard time remembering that when stuff like this comes up. Thanks. ;?)

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    OMG...how could I possibly forget that?? What a waste of time.

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    BA, you must have a copy of what every good Muggle has at home: _The Gospel According to Harry Potter:Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker_ by Connie Neal. I have a copy and though it is off base with a lot of its theories, I find it no less "off base" than some Christians response to Harry Potter. May JK Rawlins never stop writing, and may Hogwarts live forever in school libraries all across the US of A!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home