Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Thrill of Victory

It's funny how things can turn out completely different from what one expects, isn't it? But it's very gratifying when the universe bestows a gift upon those who deserve it.

My boys won the State Championship.

They went undefeated in the tournament. First game, 8 to 5. Second game, 19 to 4. Third game, 12 to 6. Last night, 16 to 3.

At a point when it was still anybody's game, my son hit a home run with bases loaded and 2 outs. My heart was in my throat. I couldn't look. I felt somewhat ill. The smack of that bat was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard in my life, and the grin that lit up my son's face as he rounded the bases was a sight I will remember and cherish the rest of my life. And I will also remember the diminutive coach, jumping up and down on the third base line, windmilling his arm so hard he could have taken flight, urging him home.

There were many spectacular moments in that game and all the boys had their shining moments. There were plays that made us hold our breath, gasp, and scream with unabashed joy. There were a few bad calls; one in which the first baseman caught a very low, slow fly ball and threw it to third for a double play. But the umpire said the ball hit the dirt before it bounced into his glove. It so did not. Even the other team said it did not. It was clearly caught. But a call cannot be reversed except by the head official who made the ruling in the first place. But Mr. Firstbaseman made up for it. He channelled his frustration at that call into a monster hit that gave us two more runs.

There was a play by the third baseman that was so beautiful you would have thought you were watching major league ball. The right fielder hustled his behind off to make a catch that seemed downright impossible. The pitcher threw strike after strike after strike. (My son was to take over in the 4th inning. I'm glad he didn't. I don't think I could have taken the stress.)

They worked so hard this summer only to have victory snatched from them time and again. But they never lost their spirit, and they still went into every game happy to be playing baseball. Even if they had not won, they would still be true Champions.

At the award ceremony immediately following the game, they received trophies, t-shirts bearing the "State Champs" legend, AND...they were given the second sportsmanship award of the season. All the coaches, umpires and Dizzy Dean officials vote on whom the award should be given to, and they were unanimously chosen to receive the award. I know some people look upon a sporstmanship award as a token gesture, but it is no small thing. No other team from our park has brought home two sporstmanship awards. We were as proud of that award as the Championship, if not more so.

Last night as I was tucking pre-pubescent one in, he said to me..."That felt good."

Yeah. It sure did.

This will probably be my last baseball post. I know, I can hear the sigh of relief from here. We leave for the World Series on Friday and then our season is over. I thank everyone who has endured my many posts, both good and bad about baseball. I thank those of you who have commented and expressed encouragement even though I have been too crazed to reciprocate. I have been reading and enjoying your brilliance and have been grateful for the diversion in the wee hours when I couldn't sleep for worrying over money and team issues.

This is the life of a sports Mom. People snicker and sneer about us, but this is what my boys love and if I want to be with them, I have to love it too. Before I had boys, I barely knew the difference between a pop fly and a line drive. Now I can quote just about any rule verbatim. I know why you shouldn't bunt on the second strike. I understand why sometimes the coach doesn't want the batter to swing. I know who Dizzy Dean is. And I know that I will never forget the days and nights we spent in the bleachers eating popcorn and peanuts, bonding and cheering for 11 year old boys who dream of Major League glory but who are, for now, just happy to be particpating in the Great American Pastime.

I complain about the hectic schedule, dragging coolers and chairs and equipment hither and yon, and the hoardes of money we have spent. But one day my boys will be gone. And I will miss it. A lot.

Congratulations Knights. You are all winners, with or without a State Championship.

8 Comments:

  • At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Outstanding news. DH and I have been following your 'boys'through their path to victory and I am truly happy for you all. Your post was wonderful to read on Independence Day, an uplifting and wonderful event has occured. Thank you for sharing it with us out here in cyberland.

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    Hooray!

    Oh wait, maybe you can't hear me over the fireworks.

    HOOORAAAYYYYYYY!

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    BA, that is the greatest conclusion that I didn't even dare hope for. I'm so happy for you and your boys and their team.

    What an amazing season. And you have made it truly interesting for those of us who are pre-sports.

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Kudos to the kiddo's, they have some thing to be very proud about. You are absolutely correct to say that one day you will miss it alot.
    Does this mean that they will get to play in the World Series instead of just watching?

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said…

    How awesome! Go team! :-) You are such a wonderful mom to learn all about baseball & attend your sons' games.

    And? You just made me nostalgic, a little bit, for my old softball days. :-)

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Hooray!!

    My heart was in my throat as I read this. I am so thrilled for them. And they sound like such a deserving team.

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger Her Bad Mother said…

    That felt good to read. Really, really good. Big congrats all around.

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I missed it this year, even though my kids played, it was different. Kvetch Teen had to play in a different/new league because he's 14 and he didn't play travel ball at all. I liked the freedom but missed the cameraderie. My daughter plays softball but honestly, it's different. How sexist is that? OH MY!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home