Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Serenity...

...is not a complicated word, but it's a complicated concept. I think that serenity is difficult to find in the ever increasing pace of modern life. I know that it has eluded me during moments of desperate, searching need.

Yesterday, I found serenity in an unlikely place, at an unlikely time, in a throng of people, assaulted by the aroma of bodies marinated in the viscous Georgia heat, and air permeated by the redolence of a just opened tin of Fancy Feast.

As I stood in front of a mammoth tank while strains of conspicously soothing music issued from speakers cleverly disguised as coral, I was mesmerized by the majesty of four Beluga whales. The crowds and the stench and the chaos receded and I was alone with these beautiful noble beasts. They played and cavorted and danced a sinuous ballet to music unheard by human ears; oblivious to all the woes that mankind has wrought upon the world beyond the watery womb of their concrete and glass abode.

I was overcome with a feeling I have rarely felt in my 37 years. Serenity. It felt profoundly good to realize that there are still creatures on this earth untouched by ugliness, unmarked by hate, untainted by greed and avarice and power. They were perfect and beautiful and innocent. They made my heart ache with gladness and they evoked a feeling of peace unlike any I have ever known, except that of watching my newborn children slumber.

I watched them until I could not convince my boys to linger any longer. They were also deeply affected by the huge and impossibly nimble animals, but their eagerness to see and do everything urged them on long before I was ready.

But it was no matter. The feeling lingered most of the day. Many hours later I still found myself smiling at their antics, marvelling at their grace, and revelling in the calm effected by their beauty and dignity. They are a panacea that no drug can rival.

I wonder how much it would cost to have a Beluga Whale tank installed in my living room. Perhaps my health insurance company could be persuaded to foot the bill under the auspices of preventive medicine. I think I'll write a letter.

If you live in Georgia, go to the Georgia Aquarium and visit the Beluga whales. They are amazing. If I had only seen that one exhibit, it would still be worth every penny spent on the price of admission. I think $21.06 is a small price to pay for Serenity.

(The whale sharks, Alice, Ralph, Trixie and Norton, are pretty incredible as well)

7 Comments:

  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Karyn said…

    That is fabulous - good for you. I had a similar experience at Sea World, first thing in the morning when we were among the first fifty or so people in the park. I sat by the Orca pool and watched them play and listened to them sing and I just wept at the majesty and beauty of them. That was six years ago but I remember it vividly. Let me know how that Preventive Medicine thing goes; I want in on that.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fancy Feast...bleah.

    Love going to the aquarium. Thanks for the idea - I will put it on my list of cool places to take the kids once I escape from this cube.

    (I had a former co-worker who called me "Beluga" when I was pregnant.)

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Isn't it funny that we can find those peaceful moments in the most unexpected places. With all the stress of your tournament I'm glad you were able to find one.
    Great entry and I, once again, could see it all clearly with the way you wrote about it.

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Serenity. I love that. And loved the way you describbed this moment. It is those unexpected times for pause in unexpected places that I value the most.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Ruth Dynamite said…

    Everyone knows that whales are big, but when you actually see one up close, they're mesmerizingly huge. And they're so nice, too. Big, nice, peaceful whales. Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    We took Thalia to the Long Beach aquarium last month in LA and I know just what you're talking about. Although you expressed it far more eloquently. Me, I was like: Preeeeettttttty....

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Yano said…

    I lived in Long Beach for a bit and the first time I went to the aquarium there I felt that same wave of calmness and serenity come over me. I got a membership there which allowed me to go there whenever I felt like it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home