Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Mashed Potato Standard

When my youngest son was 6, he developed a deep and abiding interest in the Titanic that bordered on obsession. His bookshelf was crammed with books on Titanic and he collected more at every opportunity. His most prized possession was a submersible model of the fabled ship that magically broke apart as it sunk (sucker cost me fifty bucks on ebay).

He was thoroughly entranced by the movie. He would watch the part about the sinking over and over. I questioned the wisdom of allowing such a macabre pastime, but his fascination could not be squelched. He seemed to comprehend the scale and scope of the tragedy in a way that belied his tender years.

He could tell you the date, time, and location of the sinking, and how fast it took the majestic ship to finally disappear into the frigid water. He knew the names of the captain and crew, and some of the passengers. He knew countless obscure facts and every day he committed more to memory.

In his estimation, anyone who didn’t know as much as he did about Titanic, or was uninterested in learning, simply was not worthy of his time or his favor.

Wouldn't it be nice if we as adults had such a straightforward and uncomplicated barometer for judging other people? I've always considered myself a pretty good judge of character, but recently, I've had reason to question that.

So I think from now on, I will only like people who like mashed potatoes. I really like mashed potatoes.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger Karyn said…

    Count me in on both counts.

    Titanic junkie and ardent fan of mashed potatoes. :)

    (Tell your son - or don't, if he's not still interested - that I went to a traveling Titanic Exhibit and TOUCHED "the big piece" of the hull which had been removed from the ocean floor and was set apart at the exhibit's end, under a perpetual stream of saline solution ...I think... anyway, it was super rusty as you might imagine and we weren't supposed to touch it. I quickly wiped my damp hand on my shirt and it left a huge rust stain - so now I have a shirt stained with the rust of the Titanic.)

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    Does your son know that the last American survivor of the Titanic just died? She lived less than 15 miles from me. And I never knew!

    I looove mashed potatoes and they are currently Chicky Baby's favorite food. But I have strict guidelines for my taters... They have to be extremely creamy. They can have garlic in them, but no cheese. Save the cheese for the cheese fries but keep it away from my mashed potatoes. Gravy is good, but not if the potatoes have garlic in them, then only butter and salt. I'm starting to sound like Meg Ryan in "When Harry met Sally"...

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mashed potatoes always make me think of my maternal grandmother. Hers were amazing (she's still living, but she doesn't make them anymore - she saves her culinary skills for fudge and peach pies). An entire STICK of real butter.

    Hers are the standard against which Kyle and I measure all mashed potatoes. We hadn't known each other but a few weeks, and he had already had Gran's mashed potatoes, when we went to New York and had dinner at the Plaza Hotel. He ordered a side dish of mashed potatoes and informed the waiter that they were ALMOST as good as Gran's. I'm sure the waiter didn't care a bit, but his love for my Gran's potatoes made me love him even more.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aw, man, I LOVE mashed potatoes!

    Especially with a lot of melted butter, salt and white pepper. Mmmmm!

    Oddly enough, I'm also interested in learning more about the sinking of the Titanic...

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My huz is kind of like that about music. It's not really overt or a strict policy or anything but I have observed that basically, if you're not interested in making music, you and he will never be more than friendly acquaintances.

    And I love MP's :)

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Antique Mommy said…

    My husband's nickname for me is Tater because I lovem' mashed, fried, french or otherwise, hashbrowned, cheesed, casserolled, whatever...

    I have found that geneaologist are kind of like the Titanic-ists. Only one topic of conversation permitted.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger kevin black said…

    Incidentally I have a good recipe for blue cheese mashed potatoes that are to die for. I'll have to dig it up and send it your way.

    Mashed potatoes is an embracing term though. I like mine lumpy so there's proof they actually were made from potatoes. My wife likes hers the consistency of pureed slurry. Given the choice she would actually prefer to have the instant kind made from the box.

    That's just wrong.

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Her Bad Mother said…

    I love mashed potatoes.

    With butter.

     
  • At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love mashed potatoes, too. I'll take mine with lots of gravy - lumpy is fine.

    Dang, it's after 10 p.m. here, I'm exhausted, and now I'm hungry for mashed potatoes!! ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home