Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Copping Out

Today was the last day of school. This week has been ridiculously busy as I may have mentioned a time or two. I don't know why teachers and room moms feel the need to cram as much activity as humanly possible into those last seven days. It's stupid and stressful. So anyway, my brain is fried and my heart has been wrung a thousand different ways. As a result, I got nothing more to offer that is of any consequence.

So I'm going to cop out by posting a picture that I ran accross yesterday. But it's not just gratuitous cuteness. There is a message, I think. Maybe some of you have seen it. If not, let me tell you the story behind it.

At a zoo in California, a mother tiger gave birth to a rare set of triplet tiger cubs. Unfortunately, due to complications in the pregnancy, the cubs were born prematurely and died shortly after birth. They were simply too tiny to survive.

After delivery, the mother tiger started to decline, though she was physically healthy and fully recovered from giving birth. The veterinarians felt that the loss of her litter had caused the tigress to fall into a depression. The doctors thought that she might improve if they could find a surrogate for her lost babies.

After checking with many other zoos across the country, the depressing news was that there were no tiger cubs of the right age to introduce to the mourning mother. The veterinarians decided to try something that had never been tried in a zoo environment.

Sometimes a mother of one species will take on the care of a different species. The only "orphans" that could be found quickly, were a litter of wiener pigs. The zoo keepers and vets wrapped the piglets in tiger skin and placed the babies around the mother tiger.

It worked.



The message?

I bet this tiger knew that these babies were different. But she didn't care. She needed babies and they needed a mom, and that's all that mattered. I wonder if the other mother tigers stopped and stared at them, or if they made catty remarks behind her back about the babies' father. Somehow, I doubt it.

13 Comments:

  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    How you are able to make me all teary in a post with the words "weiner pigs" I will never know. This is a great metaphor; we'd all be wise to remember it.

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with Mom101 and all teary, with a lump in my throat. We should all be as accepting as Mama Tiger.

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger Antique Mommy said…

    I've used the term "weiner pig" before, but in an entirely different context.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Antique Mommy said…

    Also, I like the pig, second from the right,that is turned the other direction. I love a non-conforming free spirit.

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger Wendy said…

    That is so awesome!!! It made me smile! Don't we know exactly how that tiger feels...the need to love her babies, the ones she lost and the ones she adopted!!
    Thanks!

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sniff, sniff...

    Poor tiger mama! I'm glad the zookeepers found her some babies to love.

    I love the little white piggy tails, and the one piglet who's facing the wrong way...

     
  • At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my God! That is amazing. And now you've got me all misty-eyed. I've had enough misty-eyes this week what with pre-k graduation and end of the year parties but this is really worth shedding a few more tears. So precious!

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger Me said…

    A mother's heart knows no limits and loves unconditionally. This picture if proof that animals are no different.

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "She needed babies and they needed a mom, and that's all that mattered."

    Oh, I have so been there!! As you know my DS was adopted after the death of my other son, and it helped me just like that tiger. In fact I have used that same explanation to help him understand how we came together.

    On past bulletin boards debating adoption I have used examples like this when the talk turns to the unnaturalness or evils of adoption. It is not unnatural-- it happens in nature all the time, often without human intervention.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger The Domesticator said…

    That is just the most precious picture. I hope this mama wasn't "talked" about...

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hadn't seen it, but I love it.

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Sandra said…

    That is the best cop out ever. Love it!

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Too bad it isn't a real story!

    http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/tigerpig.asp

     

Post a Comment

<< Home