Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Shocking Confessions of a Free Thinker

I like the Dixie Chicks.

There. I said it.

But wait. I have an even more shocking confession. I don't like them because of what they said about Bush. I don't like them in spite of it, either. I like them because...wait for it...

Their music is good.

See, I don't get my political views from entertainers for the same reason I don't get my prescription drugs from the bakery. It may be convenient, but it just doesn't make any sense.

Like most of us, they have opinions, and the right to express them. But unlike most of us, they happen to have an effective platform and a captive audience for expressing their views. That doesn't make them more perceptive, astute or unimpeachable. It just makes them louder.

If constructing a values system with as little effort as possible is one's goal, then I suppose being spoon fed ideals holds a certain appeal. It does eliminate the need to think, afterall. In which case, I guess a person could conceivably do worse than to adopt the views of someone who gets paid truckloads of money to parrot the words of others. I'm not exactly sure how, but I have no doubt it will become apparent with the advent of the next election.

I love the Chicks one and all, but I could not possibly care less about their thoughts on politics. Or abortion. Or the death penalty. Or foreign trade. Or immigration. Or religion. Or parenting. I won't stop listening to them unless they start making crappy music. I wouldn't have started unless I enjoyed it in the first place.

So I'll get my views the old fashioned way, thank you. Because there is something to be said for thinking. It pretty much eliminates the need for righteous indignation and abject disillusionment when a much loved performer expresses an opinion not in keeping with one's own views. And, it keeps one from making a complete ass of themselves by passing judgement on others by virtue of a single belief.

More people should really try it.

13 Comments:

  • At 2:59 AM, Blogger kevin black said…

    Love the analogy about getting prescription drugs at the bakery. I'm always a little alarmed at the number of people who say things like Oh my God, did you hear what Madonna said about the president? Why anyone would give a rat's ass about what an entertainer thinks of politics is beyond me. Is Madonna your elected official? No? Then forget about it.

     
  • At 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amen. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm taking my turn on the sin wagon.

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger motherbumper said…

    boooyah! right on the money! we are all entitled to our own opinions and beliefs and if we weren't, wouldn't this be a sad and boring world. Well said and I'm lovin' your blog.

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger Mama of 2 said…

    I can't agree with you more.
    I like the Chicks for their music alone and feel that they are entitled to their opinions as much as I am.

    Good post!

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I agree wholeheartedly with your post. It is only infrequently that I am so turned off by an artist's personal opinions that I stop watching, reading, listening, etc. to their work.

    Having said that, I don't necessarily like to listen to their political points of view either. But I don't really like talking politics at all, so maybe I'm not the best person to have this conversation.

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger MrsFortune said…

    But .. they can sing and play instruments. Doesn't that make them qualified to tell me what to think? Plus, they have MONEY. I'm confused.

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh BA, I love you. So very well said. I just read the Newsweek article last night, and I read it mostly because I'm interested in the music industry connection.

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    And yet, interestingly, if they were out rallying against abortion or preaching the evils of gay marriage, I doubt I could listen to them again. There's a fine line they have to straddle between people with opinions and activists.

    So while I don't allow entertainers to shape my views, I can't help but see them for the people they are beyond their music. It's why I have trouble with Tom Cruise these days. Stupid, maybe. But I can't help it.

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Overwhelmed! said…

    I like Dixie Chicks too, just for their good music.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    I love the dixie chicks too- they're even better live. I'm with mom 101 on this - if their politics were in opposition to mine I'd be inclined to like them less. The fact our politics seem to match to me is great and I like that they stand up for what they believe in.

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ditto, BA. I don't get my politics from musicians. I don't get much of it from politicians these days either, but that's not the point.

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger GipperBlog said…

    Couldn't agree more on this post. I don't like the Dixie Chicks, but becase I don't like country. People in the spotlight do need to be ready to accept consequences when they make choices to speak out, and that is my criticism of them.

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Wendy said…

    Celebrities should shut the frock up! Most of them do not have an education...and people swoon when they make any comment!
    Used to like the Dixie chicks, but now....Earl's gotta die.
    Sorry DC, just liked you better when you were chirping.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home