Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Thank You

Dear Mom,

You used to say, "One of these days, you will thank me."

I'm sorry I made you wait 30 years.

I get it now.

Thank You.

For reading books to me twenty times in a row. For driving by Jamie Tookshur's house every day on the way home when I had a crush on him in first grade. For yelling at the teacher that time she wouldn't let me go to the bathroom and I wet my pants. For letting us keep Sunshine because Alan Head's mom was going to flush him down the toilet. For letting me run away to Grandma's when I was 9. For not letting me watch stuff that would rot my brain. For letting me read everything I could get my hands on. For sending me upstairs to wash that crap off my face. For sending me back upstairs to put on something decent. For fixing my hair that time I tried to bleach it by myself after you said I was not meant to be blonde. For letting me pierce my ears three times. For telling me over and over how smart I was. For believing me that time you left me home alone for the weekend that I didn't mean to have a party, and it wasn't my underwear you found in your bed. For buying me a stereo that year you said there wouldn't be much for Christmas. For not trying to stop me when I left home. For not saying I told you so when he left me for another woman. For saving my wedding day when I found someone worth ten of him. For crying the first time you laid eyes on my newborn son. For not crying when I told you I lost the baby. For loving my husband and my kids.

And so much more I can't even put into words.


Love,

Me

7 Comments:

  • At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope your mother reads your blog. Happy Mother's Day.

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    This was beautiful and brought a tear to my eye.

    Wishing you a very happy mother's day!!!!!

    (p.s I missed so many great posts this week - I just spent way too much time catching up on all of your great writing. you rock as usual!)

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    I hope you're planning on printing that out and letting her read it. :)

    And something tells me that, even though you think you waited 30 years to tell her thanks, she's known it all along.

    Big hugs to you and your obviously fantastic mother.

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't have a mom like yours. Mine was pretty much the opposite, but at least I know what not to do now. I want to be to my kids, what your mom was/is to you. Beautiful post - sounds like you have a wonderful mom. ;-)

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    I just sat here reading mother's day posts with my mom and as I mentioned on Kevin's blog, she told me, "this is what makes it all worth it." You did a good thing here, not just for your mom but for all moms.

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had to come check you out (via Jess R) simply because of Duran Duran. BTW, I really enjoyed Uncle Tom's Cabin. I hope you're liking it, too.

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Kimberly said…

    No fair, sister. This made me well up and cry like a baby. How do you say it so well? Amazing...again.

    Happy Mother's Day to you and your wonderful mother.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home