Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Friday, May 12, 2006

The Future Disguised As Shameless Bragging...

This is my Spirited Child
The Diminutive One
My Lastborn



This image was captured on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, while he was doing what he loves most. It's a rare thing, because at about two years of age, he decided that having his picture taken was simply unacceptable. I cherish pictures like these, where his unique and indomitable spirit shines through.

Though it looks as if he was posing, he was actually completely unaware of the photographer. That look is pure unmanufactured happiness. The love of the game. The anticipation of victory. The resolve to smack the dickens out of the ball. The confidence that he would. That look was to say..."Don't you worry Coach, this one is outta here."

There's a reason he was blessed with such a winsome little face. It's nature's way of ensuring that he makes it to adulthood. It's very hard to stay angry at a face like that. That face is why I walked away 1000 times. When telling stories of his exploits, I have often been met with exclamations of disbelief..."Not him! Look at that FACE!" Yes. That face. That blue-eyed, rosy lipped, freckled little face. It has stayed my hand and my tongue far too many times to count. Thank God.

This is my spirited child. He drives me crazy. I fear for what the future holds for him. It could well be incarceration. But it could just as easily be the Presidency. The only thing I am sure of is that whether he pursues a life of crime or a career in politics, he will do it with drive, enthusiasm and sheer unadulterated determination. He will be the best if it kills him and it just might.

God I love that kid.

12 Comments:

  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger kevin black said…

    Good lookin' kid. I love the determinism in his face.

     
  • At 10:40 PM, Blogger Antique Mommy said…

    He's a handsome little dude.

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's boys. They don't like to have their picture taken. At least mine doesn't, while my daughter would pose away for hours. I have a similar photo of my son from several years ago, that I entitled "The boy who loves baseball." I so get you.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Me said…

    You can just see the confidence oozing out of those expressive eyes. What a handsome young man!

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Suburban Turmoil said…

    I love that picture. And this post. Reading so many moms blog about being moms this week has made me feel very, well, momcentric lately. :)

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said…

    Happy Mother's Day to a fantastic mom! I love how your son is smiling just a tiny bit in that photo. :)

    Also, I'm late to weigh in on your last post, but it was so eloquently and poignantly said. And i couldn't agree more. (I was absolutely stunned when I saw BBM in the theater. I had to stay in my seat for a long time when the credits rolled.)

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    That's a wonderful photo! A keeper for sure. He seems to have those eyes that give you a glimpse into the motors turning in his brain. With his looks and obvious brilliance he's just a few steps away from world domination!

    Happy Mother's Day!

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ahh, BA, you've done it again. I can really relate to your blog! My youngest son also has very expressive eyes, freckles, and the most beautiful face (if I do say so myself!) He can be an angel, devil, flirt, dig-in-his-heels stubborn, etc - and I'm very grateful for him. He's the "spice" around here.

    Happy Mother's Day!

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    Yes he does!! His eyes will melt hearts someday. Are you prepared for that?

    Happy Mothers Day to you too, toots.

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and for not lynching me for my shameful bragging about my kid. I'm glad to have met such wonderful Moms/Women here in the blogosphere.

     
  • At 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brag away, mama! It's in your job description.

    Happy Mother's Day :)

    (your spirited child is a cutie)

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is a really fabulous picture. I love how the fence in the background is blurry, and he is perfectly in focus.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home