Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Monday, June 05, 2006

A Legacy Revealed

I am a Mom of boys. This suits me just fine, as I have little patience for female histrionics, melodrama and backbiting whether it be from girls or grown women. But I cried when it was revealed that my oldest child was a boy. I had no brothers and boy children were a mystery to me. I felt completely at ease with the thought of mothering girl children, but I was gripped by the fear that I would be woefully inept at raising a boy. That fear evaporated of course, the moment he was laid on my breast, tiny and squalling and covered in my blood. I would learn.

Years later it's funny to reflect on that. I can't imagine life with girls. We do pretty well my men and me. But because of gender differences, it's hard to see myself in my boy children and sometimes it makes me feel a little sad. I would have liked a girl to remind myself of me. I would have loved to hear people say that she is the spit and image of me, as they say about my youngest son and my husband. Or that she is a little Mommy like I was at that age. Or that she can't keep her nose out of a book. For that reason, I really miss the girl child that I will never have.

Late the other night as I sat in front of the computer bleary eyed; really too tired to write, but determined to take advantage of the rare moment of absolute peace and quiet, my youngest son stole down the steps and timidly called out to me.

"Mom?"

I was annoyed at having my solitude disrupted. Will ill-concealed impatience, I snapped at him.

"WHAT??"

There was a moment of silence, during which I assume, he was contemplating whether it was prudent to continue.

"Ummmm, Mom, I can't sleep. Can I come down and talk to you?"

I softened a little. I've been an insomniac for years and I can relate to the torture of lying in bed unable to sleep; body willing, but mind awhirl.

"Come on down and tell me about it." I called.

He traipsed down the stairs and appeared before me squinting in the lamplight, blonde hair sticking up in riotous disarrary. Toothless and freckled, and naked save for tighty whities, he was a sight that rendered me completely incapable of holding onto my pique. I pulled him onto my lap, ignoring the fact that his legs dangled nearly to the floor. Since we were alone, his dignity was not affronted and he did not resist, but settled against me with satisfying bonelessness.

"What is it Diminutive One?" I asked as I tried to smooth the peaks and whorls in his hair.

He sighed heavily, and replied, "Well...I've been thinking about my story...."

He'd been working dilligently for weeks on a very detailed story chronicling the adventures of a valiant Knight and his evil nemesis.

"I keep thinking of things I want to write and I'm afraid I won't remember them in the morning. I feel like I want to write them down right now. I'll never be able to sleep if I don't."

In that moment, I saw myself in my son. I felt connected to him. I saw that some part of me would live on. I imagined a nameless faceless young descendant far in the future, earnestly scribbling his or her first story, being told..."You know...your great great grandmother B.A was a writer."

I hugged him hard enough to make him grunt, and said,

"Go work on your story. You have 30 minutes."

He grinned and scampered off, mindful of every second. And when I tucked him in thirty minutes later, his eyes drifted quickly shut, his mind at ease; divested of the words that burgeon within him unbidden.

That's my boy.

10 Comments:

  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    I'm so glad baseball didn't take you away for very long. If you have to leave again for fund-raising purposes then I'm glad I had a chance to have this story to tide me over.

    Beautiful, as usual.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    I can only dream of having this conversation with my daughter one day. That is a real live writer ya got there, BA. Lucky lucky you. Now just pray he doesn't start writing about you...

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Overwhelmed! said…

    That is so sweet! I'm enjoying being the mama to a sweet little boy as well!

     
  • At 4:11 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Oh I loved this. I hope to have this exchange with my guy some day.

    I hear you on the boy thing. I often ache for a little girl but am so glad for a boy too.

     
  • At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    SIGH, I loved this post. I have a son and a daughter, but I do understand wanting to see yourself in any child. What a wonderful and unexpected moment you had. It will last a lifetime - for both of you - because he will always remember that YOU understood.

     
  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger Karyn said…

    Beautiful. I too, went through the momentary "oh no!" when it was called out that "it's a boy", but it was just that - momentary - and now I love that I have boys. (Not that I wouldn't like a girl. Someday.) Too, I relate to feeling a little left out because my first child looks like his father spit him out; there is nothing of me in him , save his tendency to forget where he puts things... but our second child is all me, from his curly hair to his love of chocolate. It all comes together I guess.

    I am SO linking this blog to my own.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Karyn said…

    As a side note: How'd you get all that cool 'blather' business on your sidebar - current reads, quotable quotes, et al? I haven't found a damn thing in the "help" section and my independent research is meeting with limited success.

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's such a sweet story. I wonder if my husband feels that way about having girls, wishing he could see himself in them.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Blue Moon Mama said…

    So cute. :)

    I cried when I learned I was having a boy, too. With 4 sisters, baby boys just seemed so...alien to me.

    Who knew boys could be such snuggly cuties!!

     
  • At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aw, I am a mom of boys too- I felt this post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home