Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Didja Ever Notice....

That people who most loudly proclaim their superiority over others, are quite often those who are most profoundly lacking in the attributes that make human beings bearable to one another??

Strangely enough, they often cite instances of extraordinarily low behavior to illustrate their transcendent humanity. Further, instead of letting their sterling character serve as its own shining beacon of supremacy, they are compelled to enlighten anyone and everyone who is unaware that they are smarter, wiser, pithier, bolder, braver. That their morals, values ethics, and ideals are stronger and truer; their commitment to them more stalwart. So great is their conviction that they will tolerate no impeachment of them. They are, in every estimable fashion, better than their fellow human beings.

Clearly, humility is neither a requirement nor a hallmark of such greatness.

And then there are people who are truly, rarely, and beautifully good, but whom are completely unconvinced of their worth. They are humble and self-effacing, completely unaware of just how much they gladden the hearts of those around them. They don’t realize that they are a precious gift to those lucky enough to call them friend, mother, wife, or lover. They simply and quietly live their lives in the pursuit of bringing joy and comfort to others while forsaking their own needs and masking their own hurt.

My friend,"Maria" (as in, "How Do You Solve a Problem Like…") is just such a person. She is the light of so many lives; the calm in the storm of adolescence for her older children, a ray of sunshine and mirth maker for her younger, an honest and steadfast friend....the list goes on. She has the heart of a poet and I imagine that as a child, she was called a day dreamer and a sillyheart. She is Julie Andrews without the bad haircut. She has been my champion, my wound tender, my rock and my shoulder.

And now, my dear sweet friend is experiencing the kind of life defining struggle that leaves one raw and gasping for breath; unsure of everything except that nothing is as one thought. I want to wave a wand and make all the pain go away for she who has salved so many hurt souls with her gentle words and humor. But I can’t. There is nothing I can do except to tell her that I love her. And that my life is better for having her in it. And that I would do ANYTHING to take away her pain and make everything okay again.

She thinks that who she is has changed, but it hasn’t. Her heart, though heavy, is still pure and tender. She is still my Maria, my flibbertigibbet, my will o’the wisp, my clown.

The world would be a dark and lonely place without people like Maria in it and even the superiority mongers know it.

Love you Maria. Any time you need a soft place to land, you head down South. The weather is great right now, the pool water is still cool and inviting, and I've got plenty of Mint Julep to get us good and snockered.

9 Comments:

  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said…

    What a beautiful homage to your friend. I'm sorry to hear she's going through a rough time.

    "And then there are people who are truly, rarely, and beautifully good, but whom are completely unconvinced of their worth."

    I am so fortunate to have a few people like this in my life. I'm thankful on a daily basis.

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maggie loves your Maria, too ;~)

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger nina michelle said…

    What will this day be like?
    I wonder.
    What will my future be?
    I wonder.
    It could be so exciting,
    To be out in the world,
    To be free!
    My heart should be wildly rejoicing.
    Oh, what’s the matter with me?
    I’ve always longed for adventure,
    To do the things I’ve never dared.
    Now here I’m facing adventure
    Then why am I so scared?
    A captain with seven children...
    What’s so fearsome about that?
    Oh, I must stop these doubts,
    All these worries.
    If I don’t I just know I’ll turn back!
    I must dream of the things I am seeking.
    I am seeking the courage I lack.
    The courage to serve them with reliance,
    Face my mistakes without defiance.
    Show them I’m worthy
    And while I show them
    I’ll show me!
    So, let them bring on all their problems,
    I’ll do better than my best.
    I have confidence
    They’ll put me to the test!
    But I’ll make them see
    I have confidence in me.
    Somehow I will impress them.
    I will be firm, but kind.
    And all those children,
    Heaven bless them
    They will look up to me
    And mind me!
    With each step I am more certain,
    Everything will turn out fine.
    I have confidence,
    The world can all be mine!
    They’ll have to agree
    I have confidence in me.
    I have confidence in sunshine,
    I have confidence in rain.
    I have confidence that spring will come again!
    Besides, which you see
    I have confidence in me.
    Strength doesn’t lie in numbers.
    Strength doesn’t lie in wealth,
    Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers,
    When you wake up, wake up! It’s healthy!
    All I trust I leave my heart to,
    All I trust becomes my own!
    I have confidence in confidence alone.
    I have confidence in confidence alone!
    Besides, which you see,
    I have confidence in me!

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Maria sounds like a beautiful soul and a treasured friend. I hope you share this post with her as it is one of the most loving tributes I have read.

    I am so sorry to hear of her pain but knowing that a friend like you is there appreciating her, validating her and offering a soft place to land, I am sure is very helpful.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Her Bad Mother said…

    Sunshine Scribe said it perfectly. This was beautiful. She is as lucky for having you as you are for having her. Share this with her.

    And share this: someone who has never met her, but who has been convinced of her beauty by her good friend, wishes against the pain for her.

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Antique Mommy said…

    A lovely tribute to your friend. I am convinced that good friends (and good dogs) make life sweet.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger MrsFortune said…

    How sweet. I hope that her struggle um ... turns out okay for her? I'm not all sunshine and roses so I don't know if that's the right thing to say but what a sweet tribute to her. I wish I knew her.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    While I don't know the entire story, I can easily tell (as can anyone reading this) that she has a one-in-a-million friend in you. We should all be so lucky. I hope her pain passes.

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    For once I find myself at a loss for words.

    I will say this, though... I think anyone who refers to a friend or loved one as "My (insert name)" obviously possesses a great deal of affection for that person.

    I hope you're able to help her in her struggle.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home