Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Making Progress....

I am making some progress on my Funeral piece and am very pleased with it. It's turning out to be much longer than I anticipated, but that's okay. I'm still not quite ready to post it, so I need some filler here. I am going to do something I swore I'd never do, but desperate times call for desperate measures. In my writing, I reveal many of my deepest feelings, but I don't reveal much about who I am in everyday life. So, here are 20 interesting things about me.

1. I shaved half my head in highschool during a pseudo-punk phase.

2. I flunked my senior year of highschool because I blew off all of my classes except Art, French, and Creative Writing. I was missing so many credits I had to repeat an entire year, during which I made straight A's.

3. When I left home at 18, I had only $100 in my pocket. Then I thought myself very adventurous. It strikes me now as incredibly foolhardy. I was lucky that my boyfriend's parents were willing to let me squat at their place until I was on my feet.

4. I have double jointed elbows. It freaks people out.

5. I was once a size 0 and my Dad thought I had an eating disorder. I didn't, which is now painfully apparent.

6. When I was 15, I got a job working in a pizza parlor which catered to the after bar crowd. The owner had to let me go because he got fined for having a minor serving beer.

7. My parents owned a (different) pizza place when I was in highschool.

8. I witnessed the very first MTV Broadcast. Who can name the very first video they played? Never mind...Google has taken all the fun out of trivia.

9. People say I look like Drew Barrymore. Snort.

10. I grew up in the same town as Harry Houdini.

11. I used to run an internet message board site that had over 7,000 members, almost all of which, were women. Yeah.

12. My wedding day was one of the biggest disasters EVER. It's a very long story, but one thing that happened was that the seamstress delivered the wrong dress to the church, and then promptly left the country for Bolivia, with my dress locked in her house. I had to wear a store demo to walk down the aisle.

13. Because of a very sporadic menstrual cycle, I didn't realize that I was pregnant with my first child until I was 10 weeks pregnant. He was born six weeks early, which means I was only conscious of being pregnant for about five months.

14. With my second child, I was 9 weeks pregnant when I found out. I had suffered an early miscarriage only 12 weeks prior to that. There was some speculation that I might have been pregnant with twins the first time, but it was never proven conclusively. My son was born on the second due date, but was 9lbs 3 oz and showed signs of being significantly post-term.

15. I lost 40 pounds in two days with my second child due to pre-eclampsia.

16. I quit smoking cold turkey 9 years ago. I was pregnant. Pregnancy hormones plus nictone withdrawal equals one beleagured husband.

17. I used to speak fluent French. I haven't used it since my honeymoon in Paris 13 years ago, and can now barely manage to ask for the bathroom.

18. I am naturally brunette, but have been dying my hair red for over 20 years. My kids have never seen me with anything but red hair. I have very fair, freckled skin and green eyes, and people are often surprised to find that I am not a natural redhead.

19. I am not what is known as a "morning person". Given a chance, I would stay up until the wee hours of the morning and sleep until noon.

20. 25 years ago, I chose a pen name to use when I became a famous author, because my maiden name was really embarassing. I still think it's cool.

So there you go. I know it's inane, but it's been three days since my last post and I'm feeling a little blog anxiety, which I used to think was beyond ridiculous.

Shrug.

12 Comments:

  • At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This post was such a window into your life. It was a peek, it was most welcome. Thanks for allowing us in if for only a moment. A redhead, huh? I'd have never thought! :-) I must say that the fact that you didn't tag anyone still leaves you leaps and bounds above the rest!!! (although it's a good idea that someone could swipe!)

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Now this was not inane. At all. I have been having BA withdrawals when I went away last week and came over eagerly to learn so much about you. I could make a comment on all 20 but then I'd hijack your comment section!

    I know this is no replacement and pretty lame at best but I wanted to tell you that I missed the Perfect Post awards this month because of my vacation. I got back to feel like an idiot because I had planned on nominating yours with the story about your friend and her abortion. It was the most stunning piece of writing that I wanted everyone to read. I am sorry I didn't get to sing your praises loudly. But know that I am a big big big fan.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger wordsonwater said…

    My, you have led an interesting life. Thanks for being fearless enough to share.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Denise said…

    Hey girl. It's Denise from MUP. G is so proud of you and your writing. I enjoy hearing about your writing struggles and triumphs. In fact, you've inspired me to start keeping my own inane blog. It's a homage to Sex and the City and a journal my single awakening. I'll send you a link if you're interested in reading a bit of my writing. Take care.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    Ahem. The above comment was made by me, but somehow I posted as anonymous. Anyway....

    Kvetch: Thanks for the encouragement. If you're willing, I'd love to read 20 things about you. We've already discovered some similarities, and I suspect we have a lot more in common. :?)

    Sunshine: Oh dear, please don't apologize. There are SO many incredible, deserving writers out there. I enjoy reading them when the PP awards come out. And thanks for your kind words. Please know that I feel the same about you. I absolutely love to read your blog and I have missed you! I hope you had a nice vacation.

    Words: Thank you so much! I hope you will come back.

    Denise!!! Welcome to the blogosphere babe! I checked out your blog and it looks like it will be very....juicy. ;?)

    12:58 PM

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OT but I wanted to say thank you for your PFLAG addition on your sidebar.

    Love ya always my friend!

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    LOL! How'd you guess it was for you?? (smooches)

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Karyn said…

    I liked getting an "insider's view" of Blog Antagonist.

    Thanks for that, and for posting for the sake of posting (and Blog Anxiety - a 12 Step Program is coming any day now for the lot of us.)

     
  • At 11:50 PM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    I like you even more! And number 1? Me too, girl. Me too.

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said…

    Okay. I did NOT use Google or look it up, but was it "Video Killed the Radio Star?"

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    YES! It was. You get a Swatch, A WHAM! t-shirt, and some neon slouch socks for playing. ;?)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home