Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Enough is Enough

I am quickly losing patience with blogger.

Let me first say that I do not do well with change. I don't rearrange furniture on a whim. I don't do drastic things with my hair because I'm feeling adventurous. Only shame keeps me from clinging to fashions long past the point that they are ridiculous.

You get the picture.

So I resisted changing over to Blogger Beta, even though I was assured that my blog would not change. But, due to repeated and emphatic encouragement on the part of Blogger, I could resist no longer and made the change.

I hate it.

For some reason, no matter how many times I check the "remember me" box, I have to sign in every. freakin. time. Yes. I have cookies enabled. The same goes for commenting. Every damn time I want to comment I have to sign in AGAIN, and then my comment may or may not actually show up. It's maddening.

Also, for reasons I cannot for the life of me identify...I can't copy and paste text from one source to another, even if I use the control function. WTF???

Forget about trying to add a picture. It's an exercise in futility and insanity.

I flirted with the idea of changing blog hosts a while back, but ultimately, it was more trouble than it was worth. And there was that whole change issue. Despite the few little annoyances, I was comfortable here. But no longer. It's like living in a house where the faucets come off in your hands, and the toilet overflows every time you flush it and the roof leaks and the furnace runs when you turn on the air conditioner.

I'm not the most computer literate person out there, but due to having my own consultant at hand for the last 13 years, I'm a little more savvy than the average user. I should certainly be able to figure out how to copy and paste or add a picture without taking a refresher course in Blogger. The fault is not my own, I think.

This is beyond user unfriendly...this is poor design and execution, as well as a failure to properly test and assess the functionality of the product. It's a big picture issue, I think. Husband has been in computer programming and development for over 20 years, and I know that there have been times he wanted to bludgeon a member of his staff for making a programming change that was, in theory, sound, but when incorporated into the database, created a plethora of problems that were sometimes merely annoying, other times catastrophic. Said staff member failed to take the larger implications into account.

I know you get what you pay for. I have ridden the blogger gravy train with no complaint about the occasional glitch here and there and been grateful.

But enough is enough.

I have to find a new home. I hate moving. And now I'm grouchy.

15 Comments:

  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger OhTheJoys said…

    Go to Daddy Diary Tales (link on my blog)(he is moving, but I think his e-mail address is still there)(if not I have it and I will give it to you)

    -- Jeff can help you. He WILL help you. He is some kind of fellow blogging angel who lives to help bloggers fix their issues with Beta.

    He helped me transition and I have no issues.

    Also, do you have a flicker or photobucket account? I never upload a photo to blogger, I paste in the HTML from another source because blogger never works anymore. I can send you an e-mail on how to do the photo thing with flicr if you want...

    Best,
    J

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I sympathize completely. Blogger ate half my template back in late September, so I moved to Wordpress. Have not had one problem since. Not one. It took a couple weeks to get used to the differences, but Wordpress offers much more in stats such as whose referring people to your site, what posts got the most traffic, etc... The move was easy and there was even a way for me to import all my archives from the Blogger site. The only thing I don't like about the free version of Wordpress is that I can't get into my HTML. They have what are called widgets, where I use them to control my sidebar. I'm happy with my template, simple as it is, and the widgets are extremely easy, so I haven't NEEDED to get into my HTML, but I've had to drop a couple things, like my Library Thing badge, and my Creative Commons license doesn't look right. For that, though, as long as the wording is there, I don't care if the button doesn't show up.

    Here's the best part: I have not had ONE SINGLE PROBLEM with Wordpress since moving. No freeze ups, no losing posts when the publishing button times out, no funny problems with pictures. None of Bloggers usual quirks followed me. And I love it.

    Anyway, if you have questions about Wordpress if you decide to move and choose that one, I'm happy to help you navigate to get yourself up and running. little bald doctors at charter dot net.

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    At least you don't have to wrap at all your glasses in newspaper!

    I had some issues with the new blogger (like it cuts my title off on the top of the page!) but it's been ok. For some reason, it even now remembers me (this drove me crazy too!) but I can't tell you why.

    Please make sure to leave a forwarding address. I'd hate to lose you!

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please just send out change of e-dress cards! ;-)

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I made the move from Blogger to TypePad last spring and it was painless. Not free, but almost. I jumped for the same reasons. I hear good things about WordPress too.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Little Shot said…

    Blogger beta sucks. I keep thinking of moving too ... but I hate moving. Don't forget to tell us how to find you. Happy packing.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Blogger sucks so much that it wouldn't let me log out as Little Shot. Ooops -- that was me.

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger Bea said…

    The problems with pasting text and uploading photos seem to be browser-specific. I use Safari to paste my posts, but then I have to switch into Mozilla to upload photos (but in Mozilla I can't paste). So, yeah - it's a hassle, but it's not that you're doing something wrong. I don't know if there are any browsers that are problem-free, but if you want to avoid the move, you might try downloading an extra browser or two.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    A couple of months ago Blogger deleted half of my template. Luckily I had saved a slightly older version in Notepad, but it still took me the better part of a day to get it back.

    The point? Blogger sucks.

    And? I've been recently thinking about changing to Beta, but you have convinced me otherwise.

    I've been considering moving to another platform all together myself. Let me know how it goes with you!

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I also have issues with the signing in thing. It refuses to remember me. Very annoying. However, I can cut and paste and upload pictures with no problem. It's a strange situation...be sure to let us know where to go if you move. I enjoy your blog very much.

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    New Blogger totally blows. If I was better at html I would switch to wordpress.

    Ugh. Blogger, you biatch!

     
  • At 11:30 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    The only change I enjoy is underwear, which would TOTALLY explain the current funked-up-edness of my blog. So, I relate.

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Amie Adams said…

    I haven't had any REAL problems in Beta, but I hate that the templates are so boring. I have NO idea how to give myself a unique template (no html skills at all) and it looks easier in others.

    I use IE.

    Good luck.

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    I switched to WP last year and I haven't had a single problem with it. We pay for my domain and hosting but honestly, making the switch to WP was quite easy (it was the template coding that was tough, because I dug my heels into the ground and insisted on keeping my hot naked lady in the bathtub template). If you decide to go with WP and have questions, email me anytime and if I can help, I will.

     
  • At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love Wordpress and don't miss Blogger at all.

    If you do happen to decide to go with Wordpress, Bluehost is only $6.99 a month for hosting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home