Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Monday, February 26, 2007

I'd like to thank the Academy


The lovely and talented Jessica of Oh, The Joys, has graciously nominated me for a Thinking Blogger award.

Everybody likes getting awards, and I think for most bloggers any kind of recogntion and validation for the effort we put forth is appreciated. But a thinking blogger award is to me, especially meaningful. When I started this blog, I knew I didn't want it to be just another rambling account of daily Mommy minutaie. From the beginning I have endeavored to write about something meaningful, and to provoke thought. But sometimes it feels as if I fall woefully short of that goal and that my blog is just one more in the floating sea of whiny, disjointed, inconsequential flotsam and jetsam that dots the internet.

So thank you Jessica. Truly.

I am to pay it forward to 5 other bloggers and I will do so happily. One thing that has always bothered me about blogging is that certain blogs get ridiculously numerous comments for posts that, while admittedly entertaining, are largely immaterial, while others who write fantastically thoughtful, insightful, creative and intelligent posts on pertinent and poignant issues get little to no recognition in the blogging community. Blogging is a lot like highschool in that regard. It's a popularity driven social medium, where substance and relevancy are not necessarily valued as much as it should be.

For the most part, I accept that and try not to let it bother me too much. But occasionally, when I see that a post about poop has garnered 57 comments, while an incredibly powerful, well written or thoughtful post gets 5 or 6...well, it rankles me.

That said, a couple months ago, I cut my daily blog reading down to about 10 blogs as a form of self-discipline. And all of them save 2 have already received the thinking blogger award. I do plan to include those two in my nominations because they are absolutely terriffic writers. BUT...I am going to take some time to find three other nominees who are really deserving. There are a lot of really terriffic bloggers out there who are just not well publicized.

So, without further ado I nominate Kvetch and Antique Mommy.

Kvetch is written by a gal whom I admire greatly and whose writing career is really taking off. No wonder! She writes about issues that I can relate to with really powerful insight and emotion. Her blogging has slowed down a little now that she's a "real" writer, so I am always excited to see a new entry from her.

Antique Mommy is just one of those people whose posts make you nod your head in perfect understanding and agreement. She is really super funny, but beneath the humor is a really keen intellect and deeply compassionate nature. She is never boring, never mundane. I all but tremble when I see a little number 1 next to her blog name in my Bloglines.

They are both, truly, thinking bloggers.

8 Comments:

  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    I'm going to keep this post new in Bloglines and check both of these bloggers out. I can see why you got a thinking award -- your posts often stay with me long after I've clicked away.

    I see Prodigal Summer is in your book list -- are you reading it, or have you read it already? I LOVED that book.

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said…

    Ah, two EXCELLENT choices. I look forward to the three more...

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    MT: I have not read Prodigal Summer. Cupid brought me a Barnes & Noble gc, so I picked it up during a buying spree. I have read The Poisonwood Bible and loved it. I read the Bean Trees and didn't like it as much. I'm glad to hear PS is a good read.

     
  • At 7:40 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    You so deserve this. You are one of the MOST thinking bloggers I read in the blogosphere. And I absolutely second your two nominations. Good choices.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Namito said…

    You are consistently writing thought provoking pieces (and ones that I more often than not agree with). I am so glad you were nominated!

    I have heard of the blogs you mention, and need to take the time to check them out in detail. Since you like them, I have a feeling I will too.

    Prodigal Summer is worth a read. I actually haven't read The Poisonwood Bible yet. And I stress the YET.

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Foofa said…

    Congrats on the nomination. It is well deserved.

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you thank you, B.A. Can I just please ask that you take my name away? My mother googles me nowadays and if Kvetch comes up attached to the real thing I'm doomed. It's OK that everyone knows my name - I just don't associate the blog with it in writing. Thanks. And now I will go do some thinking!!! :-)

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    Good Grief, what a faux pas! I am SO sorry. Consider it done.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home