Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, err...Grocery Store

I'd like to take a break from the vacation slides and tell you about something that I saw today. Because I think it's important that there are people like this in the world.

You may remember my post "Of Coyotes and Common Sense" where I discussed the growing problem of wildlife displaced by urban development. It's happening everywhere and we have to do something to halt the relentless urbanization of land that many species desperately need to thrive.

The honey bee crisis is a perfect example. Who knew the were so integral to our own survival as a species? We have lived in ignorance all this time, quietly reaping the benefits of the honey bee's industry and fortitude. Only now that their existence, and thus, our own, is threatened, do we appreciate them.

We have to find a way to live in harmony with our animal and insect brethren. Our survival depends upon it.

So anyway...

This afternoon, I turned out of our subdivision onto the very busy thoroughfare that borders it. Traffic whizzes down this road at all hours of the day and night. Immediately I could see that there was something going on in the road ahead, but I couldn't quite make out what exactly the trouble was until I pulled abreast of two men and a car stopped dead in the lane opposite mine.

The men were standing in the road protecting an unspeakably beautiful red-tailed hawk.

Their car was parked several feet behind them, blocking traffic. One man motioned traffic around and through, while the other one made sure nobody veered into the lane where the hawk stood. He shielded the bird with his body, arms and legs akimbo. He wore an expresion that was a mixture of sadness and determination.

I am not exaggerating when I say that these men were risking their lives to save this bird.

I've seen red tailed hawks before. They are plentiful in our neighborhood, but they are normally seen from afar, soaring high above the tree tops in search of succulent squirrels or other small prey. I've never been privileged to see a wild one this close. He was absolutely breathtaking, from his brilliant red tail feathers to the fierce and startling intelligence in his hooded eyes.

He stood majestically in the road with an air of calm authority. He was not afraid. And that's what was so frightening to me and, I presume, to the men who stood gaurd over him. There was a dead rabbit in the road, and apparently, he was determined to make a snack out of it, traffic, or no traffic.

I rolled down the window and asked if I could help. The man thanked me, but said that he had already called the Forestry Commission. They were on their way to assist in relocating the hawk. I wanted to hug that man for caring, but stupidly, I merely gave him a thumb's up and a tremulous smile. He smiled back, but his eyes were still sad.

When I came back, the hawk, and the men were gone, though the rabbit carcass was still in the road, now pulverized almost beyond recognition.

I wish I knew what happened. I wish I knew who they were. I wish I knew that they knew...what a wonderful thing they did.

I feel pretty certain that the hawk was saved. Thanks to two ordinary guys who took a moment to help a creature who couldn't help himself; who simply couldn't grasp the danger that he had put himself in by stepping into man's path and putting himself at man's mercy.

That makes me feel good and bad in a way I am somewhat at a loss to describe.

Did I say "ordinary" guys? No..I think extraordinary is more like it.

On behalf of the human race and all of animalkind...Thank You.

14 Comments:

  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger hermitgirl said…

    It seems like a happy story, or ending at least, but I almost cried. I'm so glad there's people like you who see the whole picture and care about animals. Really enjoy your writing.

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    Yes, thank you.

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger S said…

    Oh, so poignant.

    Good people, they were. Too few like them these days.

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    That was wonderful and I thank you for sharing that story. There's not enough people like that in the world. Instead, there are plenty of people who leave their dog locked in a car on a 90 degree day with the windows barely cracked and no air conditioning on.

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    oh, this is beautiful. it's this, isn't it..these small yet gigantic moments of humanity that make everything seem brighter.

    so glad they were there and did what they did.

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger Natalie said…

    This is my first visit to your blog and you've hooked me. Wonderful post, really.

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    what a lovely story, and with a possibly happy ending. Except for the rabbit.

    I was visiting my BFF about 3 years ago, and turned the corner to get to her street and there was a red hawk in the middle of the road feasting on a squirrel. Or what I assumed was a squirrel. That bird was HUGE. I had no idea how big they are on the ground with their wings spread out.

    They're beautiful birds. We have a lot of them around here. And the foxes were out in the woods last night. I heard a lot of stirring and thought it was raccoons, but I saw a fox face peeking out at me, grabbed the cat, and ran indoors. I love wildlife too... but foxes? From the window only.

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Avalon said…

    Beautiful telling of a story that hopefully had a great outcome. I live on a street that abuts a lake. There is a small mountain between us and the lake, but on the main thoroughfare a few weeks back, a very large turtle had apparently decided he needed a basking break on the warm asphalt. Two teen aged boys managed to scoot the turtle off the road and back to safety. I was very proud of their actions.

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Extraordinairy indeed.

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger Ms. Skywalker said…

    Thank you.

    From a million miles away, thank you.

    KC may have to surrender her cape for today.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger painted maypole said…

    great story

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Maddy said…

    Likewise.
    Cheers

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger Namito said…

    That is the most wonderful thing I have read in a long while.

    Mrs Chicky: Re dog: Or strapped to the roof of a station wagon, hey?

    Thanks for the hope, BA. Does the heart good.

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice going, BA. Thanks for telling that story and reminding us of the important things of life. And GOOD for those men!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home