Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Friday, September 26, 2008

Without Further Ado

I promised to share my "Melancholia" playlist with you, once I had created it.

I've gone through each and every suggestion that my kind readers made. Some I liked, some I didn't. Some I liked, but didn't feel they had the right "flavor" for my list. But I truly appreciated them all.

I decided that rather than an entirely cheerless playlist, I would make one that is a medley of melancholia and mellowness. So some are sad, but some are not. Regardless, they are all smooth and soft and impart a certain mood.

I've been listening to it primarily in bed. I'm a lifelong insomniac and I find that it helps me shut off my brain and fall asleep.

There are still ten or fifteen that I'd like to add, but I had to stop, as I was running up quite a bill on iTunes. I had quite a few in my library already, but I kept adding one more and one more until I realized I had purchased 30 songs or more.

Also, did you know you cannot buy Beatles tunes a la carte? That sucks. I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but I did want to put "A Day In The Life" and "Eleanor Rigby" on my playlist.

It's a bit eclectic, but I like that. Also, some artists such as Norah Jones and Bette Midler appear several times with different songs. When you're good, you're good.

So without further ado, I give you Blog Antagonist's Melange of Melancholia in no particular order.

1. Time In a Bottle - Jim Croce
2. Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
3. Hello In There - Bette Midler
4. The Rose - Bette Midler
5. From A Distance - Bette Midler
6. Who's Crying Now - Journey
7. The Sounds Of Silence - Simon and Garfunkel
8. Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin
9. The Rose - Bette Midler
10. Everybody Hurts - REM
11. Hurting Each Other - The Carpenters
12. Rainy Days And Mondays - The Carpenters
13. Goodbye To Love - The Carpenters
14. Stop And Stare - One Republic
14. Linger - The Cranberries
15. You're Beautiful - James Blunt
16. Stop And Stare - One Republic
17. Apologize - One Republic
18. Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
19. Seven Years - Norah Jones
20. Don't Know Why - Norah Jones
21. Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton
22. Total Eclipse of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
23. Travelin' Soldier - Dixie Chicks
23. God Speed - Dixie Chicks
24. I Believe In Love - Dixie Chicks
25. Stand - Jewel
26. Haunted - Jewel
27. The Thunder Rolls - Garth Brooks
28. Tiny Dancer - Elton John
29. Lost - Anouk
30. How Do You Love - Collective Soul
31. The World I know - Collective Soul
32. Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
33. Where I stood - Missy Higgins
34. King Of Pain - The Police
35. 100 Years - Five For Fighting
36. My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion (normally, I loathe her, but love this song)
37. Leader Of The Band - Dan Fogelberg
38. Mad World - Michael Andrews
39. Save a Prayer - Duran Duran
40. Ordinary World - Duran Duran
41. What Happens Tomorrow - Duran Duran
42. Lyin' Eyes - The Eagles
43. Don't Speak - No Doubt
44. Any Other World - MIKA
45. Don't Laugh At Me - Mark Wills
46. Almost Doesn't Count - Mark Wills
47. You Can Sleep While I Drive - Melissa Etheridge
48. Dust In The Wind - Kansas
49. No Rain - Blind Melon (rethinking this one, not quite mellow enough)
50. Piano Man - Billy Joel
51. Never Tear Us Apart - INXS
52. Crying - Roy Orbison
53. Winner Takes It All - ABBA
54. Little Sparrow - David Cook
55. Dear Mr. President - Pink
56. Please, Please, Please - The Smiths
57. Constant Craving - K.D. Lang
58. Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
59. Sweet Thing - Van Morrison

Here are the songs I would still like to add:

1. Candle in the Wind - Elton John
2. Yellowbrick road - Elton John
3. Nothing Compares 2U - Sinead O'Connor
4. Major Tom - David Bowie
5. Left of Center - Suzanne Vega
6. Wouldn't It Be Good - Belious Some
7. Cry Me A River - Diana Krall
8. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
9. Pink Floyd - COmfortably Numb YES
10. I Can't Make You Love Me Bonnie Raitt.
11. George Harrison - Give Me Love
12. George Michael - Praying For Time
13. Sunshine on My Shoulders - John Denver

There you go. Something fun and frivolous for the weekend. Go forth and purchase.

And just for fun, here's one of my current favorites on the list. Ignore the video itself, it was the only non-live video version I could find. Just listen. His voice....heavens. If you like it, check out more of Collective Soul. They're amazing.

12 Comments:

  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    Oh I totally love it! and look at you, over there on your about page, with YOUR FACE!!

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger All Things BD said…

    Wow that's some list! Can't wait to take some time and break my iTunes bank account. :)

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Bea said…

    Oooh, "Winner Takes It All" - good one. And I can remember playing "I Can't Make You Love Me" over and over again and bawling on the occasion of my first wedding anniversary (first marriage - not a good sign).

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Momster said…

    What a great list! I love, love, love Collective Soul. Dosage would have to be my all time favorite but I have all of their CD's.

    Have a great weekend!

    Hugs!!

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Momster said…

    Oh yeah, have you seen them? Wow!

     
  • At 12:33 AM, Blogger Middle Girl said…

    Interesting list. Some of my favs (& former favs) are here-I have many of these on cds or cassettes. Some I've never heard (or don't recognize by title/artist). . .however, must

    stay far away from iTunes as there are winter boots to buy. :)

    Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Blogger Woman in a Window said…

    Ohhh, Godspeed by the Dixie Chicks, that's a little slice of my life a few years ago, while my little boy was in the hospital and we finally got to the end of that cd there it was. I thought it might be an omen. As it turns out,it was a good one.

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    Belouis Some. Wow. Blast from the past.

    What a great list. I see I have more downloading to do.

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    The song int he vid reminds me of Bowie - very nice.

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gotta add I Will Always Love You by Fisher and The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice.

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, there's a song called Lightning Crashes by Live kinda fits this mood, too. Also, if you like that Fast Car song by Tracey Chapman, you might like some stuff by Nina Simone. Feelin' Good is one of my favorites of hers. Very soulful and a little bluesy. Nice list.

    There's also another one by Jewel that I can't think of but I can hear strains of it in my head. Oh yeah, Foolish Games. I really love that song.

    There's also one by Annie Lennox called Love Song for a Vampire from the Interview With a Vamipire soundtrack you might like.

    I can just see my iTunes bill zooming up.

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    Great list, BA.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home