Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Sweet Relief

I know what you're thinking.

You're thinking this is another glowing, gloating epistle to the greatness of Obama.

Not so.

I am relieved.

Not because of who won, but because it is over.

Many, many, many Americans have expressed feelings of transcendant hope that Obama gives them.

I feel no such thing.

Although I voted for him, I still feel a lot of worry over the economy, health care, education....the whole ball of wax. It's a lot for one guy to fix. And I worry that we've created iron shackles of expectation that will weigh heavily on his untested wrists.

But still, I am relieved.

This election has consumed our nation, and it has divided us neatly and decisively. Red and blue. Elephants and donkeys. Conservatives and liberals.

We have been at war right here on our own soil. It has been waged in living rooms and coffee houses and cubicles and churches and town halls.

People have judged one another and judged harshly.

I saw the last election do inestimable damage. It was ironic, given that the message of peace was being delivered on a tide of invective. It was disheartening given that those aching for change were those most mired in the antipathy of the past.

A lot of people are celebrating. Some are mourning.

I'm really doing neither.

I'm just waiting.

Waiting for fences to be mended. Waiting for the fear to go away. Waiting for change. Waiting to see if we've done the right thing.

Waiting for our country to be whole again.

19 Comments:

  • At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Excellent post, I agree with you 100%. Hopefully we can come together as a nation and move forward.

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger All Things BD said…

    I'm with you. I wasn't particularly jazzed about either guy, and would have wanted a conservative in there, but I'm glad we're through it and can move on to the task of change. Without the vitriol.

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger The Woman Formerly Known as Jenn said…

    Amen sister. Amen.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm normally just a lurker around here (your own private stalker, if you will) but I had to respond with gratitude that I am not the only one out here who is so relieved words cannot express that the whole shennanigans are finally FINISHED.

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Foofa said…

    I still can't believe it was over so quickly. I am incredibly relieved and very happy. I was glad to see him acknowledge that the road would be long and hard. He knows he isn't going to do this alone and our country needs to come together for any good to really happen.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger josetteplank.com said…

    Exactly.

    Obama win was okay by me, although I didn't vote for him.

    I will, however, be openly pissed off for a good long time at the California Democrats who voted to ban gay marriage. WTF, dudes? WTF?

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger jess said…

    Well said. I'm on the same page. I'm really glad that Obama won, but I worry about people placing too much hope in him. He's a great man, but he's only human.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    I couldn't have said it better. I am ready to see change rather than here talk about it.

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Notes and letters to myself.... said…

    And now the real work begins.

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Maureen Fitzgerald said…

    Yes, the expectations are unrealistic, but then again...so were the campaign promises.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    It's a lot of hype to live up to, that's for sure. All that you mentioned AND having to bring the nation back together. He may as well be Atlas carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    I understand how you are feeling... I think what we all need to remember, though, is that we need to BE the change that we want to see. He is just one man with a lot on his plate and I don't think he can do it alone. We need to rise above the divisiveness... we need to help unify ourselves... we need to stop judging and start working together. I think he can do a lot of good but not without us behind him, waiting for him to do it for us.

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    I worry that his first mistake will be over-amplified 10000000x, but I think we have to be ready for that mistake b/c no one person can be as much a savior as he has been made out to be.

    But, I'm glad he was chosen and that change, however hard-fought and slow to come, is at hand.

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    Great post by the way. You and I have differing points but this one hit the nail on the head.

    I think people who've spent a lot of time putting Obama on a pedestal will be shocked that it can be a long fall when he doesn't come up with results. Lets hope that it doesn't happen, no matter who you voted for...

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Woman in a Window said…

    There's a lot of healing to be done. Certainly O'Bama can't do it all. It's got to be everyone. There needs to be a revolution of thought. O'Bama's only one finger on a hand of five. This one's gonna take a lot of hands!

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One term president. Alas, and alack. But this economic mess is too big, and unless he's a miracle worker, he won't be able to fix it, and he will have to break some promises to try to contain things, and the ones who think he's the Super Dude will be disappointed.

    He knows it, too. He made very clear in his acceptance speech that it was going to take hard work and probably wouldn't be done by the time one term was over with. But people will still be disappointed.

    (I thought McCain would be a one-term president, too, if he won.)

    And thank the lord, we will be campaign-ad-free! Woot!

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger sltbee69 said…

    I couldn't agree more. While I didn't vote for him, I am glad the whole process is over and I can only pray for the man.

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the process of election is like a Heated and Dynamic process to make a Donkey out of a Woman\Man. Bill Clinton and Bush 2 are now Comical Characters. The whole process is a TV game show..we are all addicted to reality shows and nothing better than the one where we can edit the script in a small way.
    We may convince ourselves to tears about how electing Obama has undone all injustice but sadly he does not deserve the 'Change' tag. He will not bring about any change, only you and I will. But are we willing to Change?
    Naga

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Kristen said…

    Absolutely agree, 100%. And I live in Australia! But the anger and hostility most definitely leaked over to us as well....very upsetting.

    Jozet - I am with you on the Cali prop 8 thing. My little sister had to rush and marry her SO last month to get in under the wire. But it is a weird situation - 4 years ago the Cali people voted for no gay marriage, and then the courts went in and overturned that, so they had to vote again (plus put in a clause saying only a vote of the people could change the constitution!). I'm absolutely FOR allowing gay marriage, but I am also totally opposed to the court system coming in and overturning a popular vote (not to mention the constitution) -- so part of me is weirdly conflicted. On the plus side, it only passed by 52 to 47% so you know next time we'll get the vote! Yeah.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home