Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Public Apology

I would like to tender an apology.

I honestly don't have a problem doing so when warranted. But I won't tender an insincere apology. Nor do I care to receive one. They are as disengenuousness as they are pointless.

There are times that an apology on my part would have solved some problems. But only in the short term. An apology offered only for the sake of peace does nothing to address the hurt feelings at the core of the issue.

I find that people are often far more interested in smoothing things over than they are in getting to heart of the matter. I don't work that way, and never really have.

That has, at times, resulted in some degree of personal difficulty.

There are several situations, one of which resulted in the implosion on an entire community, where a well intended but nonetheless insincere apology on my part would have stopped the shitstorm of invective, but not solved any real problems.

But it's my thing. I can't and won't issue an apology unless I truly mean it.

When I started the blogging thing, I had really had my fill of negativity on the net, my own included.

When I realized that there was a give and take required and that getting comments was dependant upon also giving comments, I resolved to be polite, positive, and even...nice. I resolved not to comment unless I had something positive to add. And for the most part, I have stuck to that resolve.

Not that I never express disagreement, you understand. But I try to do it in a respectful, constructive way. And I don't usually do it unless I'm confident that the poster is someone who can accept it with equanimity.

In other words, I'm not in the habit of shooting off my mouth on blogs not otherwise frequented by me.

But the other day, that is exactly what I did.

As snark goes, I've seen worse. But still I feel that my comment was unwarranted and not given with the best intentions.

So I would like to offer an apology to I Agree With Me.

I'm sorry that I made a rude comment on your blog. There was no reason for it, other than the fact that your stance on the issue of Michael Phelps is opposite of mine.

Although it appears that our views diverge on quite a few issues, you seem like a perfectly nice person and you didn't deserve my snarky comment.

I sincerely hope you'll accept my apology.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:21 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    i always think we show our measure when we know we have erred and try to make it right.

    just like this.

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    I've learned in this weird blogworld that some things seem very intense and important as they happen, but stepping back they weren't so major at all. I read the post. I thought your comment was a fair disagreement and I thought her response to you was as well. Maybe your heart feels otherwise but from where I'm standing, it's two big people being cool to each other.

    Nice to see you BA.

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger iagreewithme.wordpress.com said…

    I have been meaning to tell you for a long time that your apology is accepted. At first I was not certain that it was offered without sarcasm...You are a very funny, witty and clever writer and I did not really know you so I was a little flummoxed. But now I have been reading you (You do make me laugh out loud!) so I think you did mean it and I appreciate it very much. Plus, you brought me hundreds of readers -- (you are so popular!) Take care and thank you.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    I'm sorry if you thought my apology was some kind of joke. I guess I can see how you might think that. Thank you for accepting! I'm glad that we've mended fences.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home