Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

She Shoots, She Scores

I know I have been neglectful here of late. But I have good reason, I swear.

You see....I got a real grown-up (read; PAID) writing job. Two, actually.

For years, I've been searching for validity as a writer. I know it should be intrinsic, but for me it's just not. So this is a huge deal for me, even though the pay is certainy not going to launch us into a life of wealth and privilege.

I feel as though I'm finally on the path to gaining some legitimacy as a writer. I can say I'm a writer without feeling like a lying sack of poo. I can start building a portfolio, building a body of work, gaining some respectability.

It's nothing huge or glamorous. It's not Newsweek or Time or any of the coveted print writing jobs. But it's a start. And I'm ridiculously pleased by it.

So my pace here will slow a bit. I'm not closing up shop, because truthfully, I love this blog and I'm free here. I say what, when and how I will write, and that's something I can't give up. I also use this blog to work through all my personal garbage, so as a therapeutic tool, it's invaluable. Not to mention, it's cheaper than therapy, which I was never really good at anyway.

I'm trying not to make too much of this, because it's such a small step, but I feel like it's a new beginning for me; an end to feeling superfluous and unfulfilled.

I wish I could share with you all where I am writing, but of course, I am doing so under my real name. Though I love you dear readers, I'm afraid I am not yet ready to remove the cloak of anonymity. Maybe when I have grown more comfortable with the idea of being known, I'll reconsider.

I have to thank you all for being instrumental in this. The comments, the encouragement, the praise...it has all helped me be confident enough in myself as a writer to pursue something I never thought I deserved, simply because I lack a set of letters after my name.

It's trite, but I can't help but feeling that now, the sky's the limit. I took the first step, the hardest step. And while my steps are still unsteady and faltering, I choose to believe that in no time, I will be striding confidently into my destiny.

Melodramatic much?

I can't help it. I'm walking on air, people, and that's the truth.

19 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home