Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Excuses Schmexcuses

I've been trying to post more often lately. It's made me realize how much I miss having that creative outlet to deal with...everything. I don't have much of an audience these days, which is nobody's fault but my own for absconding from the blogosphere to "find myself". But I think there might be an audience out there for me somewhere.

My friend Amy Sue Nathan just had her first book, "The Glass Wives" published, which thrills me to pieces. Go read it. It's good.

I've made lots of excuses for many years about why I couldn't write a book. Amy has the same number of kids and one less husband so, regrettably, my excuses are nullified by her damnable success. Curse you Amy Nathan!

In short...I've decided it's time to get serious. Quit screwing around, quit making excuses and just write a damn book already.

It may be slow going. I have a job and a family and although I do have a room of my own, (nod to Virginia Woolf) it doesn't afford me as much privacy or freedom as say...a life of my own.

But so what? So what if I only write a few pages each day. So what if it takes me ten years to get published? Olive Anne Burns didn't become a published author until her sixties. Probably because she had kids. (I joke...mostly). And she didn't even start writing "Cold Sassy Tree" until she was diagnosed with lymphoma.

It's never too late, is what I take from that.

I've done quite a few things in the last five years that I never, ever, ever thought I could or would do. Now I know I just have to make up my mind to do it.

And so I have.

See you on the New York Times Bestseller list?

8 Comments:

  • At 3:52 AM, Anonymous ALE said…

    Yay! I will definitely buy!

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Anonymous OmegaMom said…

    Hear, hear! Go for it!

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    Good for you!! I'd buy your book :)

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Lisa said…

    If you write a book, I will buy it.

    I've been enjoying your return to your blog. Keep writing!

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said…

    Cool. I have no doubt you will get it done.

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger merinz said…

    Go for it!

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you are a fantastic writer. if you write for many or few does not matter. just write. you are meant to. I know this because I am very smart and read alot. also, I sometimes drink. but anyway, as a smart reader who sometimes drinks, I think you rock. keep on writing.

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    LOL! Thank you Anonymous. You made me laugh out loud. Since writing this post, I've done a lot of research about querying, acquiring representation, publishing, etc., etc., etc.. and it's made me feel a bit overwhelmed and defeated. I've got to learn not to take it so seriously and just let my love of writing guide me. So thanks for the laugh. It helped. A lot. As did all the comments expressing support. Thank you all!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home