Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Not Even Important Enough for a Pithy Title

Pre-Pubescent One now has the flu. But, not the same flu that Diminutive One and Husband had. That flu started with a brutal hacking cough and evolved into stuffy nose, chills, body aches, and high fever. Sort of a head cold on steroids.

This flu is puking. And puking. And more puking.

Frankly, I was not terribly sympathetic when he first told me he wasn't feeling well. He's a hypochondriac, and very dramatic to boot. Which means that every little ache and pain produces great moans, groans, sighs and desperate bids for attention.

For several hours after I picked him up from school Tuesday with a low-grade fever, he lay on the couch and moaned dramatically and punctually, timing his performances roughly 10 minutes apart.

It was getting on my last. nerve.

But then his fever soard to 104 and he began spewing things that looked like they might have come from much farther down the gastrointestinal tract than his stomach.

And then I had to concede that he was really sick.

He continued to spew things and so, I didn't sleep last night, but rather, lay wakeful in my bed listening for the latest eruption. He had a basin by his head, and other than providing that, there wasn't much I could do. But still...a kid wants his Mom when he's puking his ever loving guts out, even if the rest of the time, he is far too cool to admit he even has a Mom.

So I'm tired, and not really up to being deep or pithy today. Sorry.

There are a few random things I have to talk about, however.

First, someone emailed me for some advice about doulas, and I, somehow, deleted it. Please, please, please, please, please email me again. I would love to talk to you about it. Truly. I know you're sitting there thinking I'm a snooty bitch who doesn't answer her email, but really, I'm just a dolt who can't even work her email properly.

Second, this past weekend Husband and I watched a movie called Martian Child.

It wasn't a big blockbuster. I had never even heard of it. We don't get to go to many movies that don't aren't animated and/or feature digitally rendered mythical beings.

Simply put, this movie blew me away. Maybe, if you don't have a child that is a little eccentric, a little unusual; one who walks a different path, to the beat of a different drum...it won't be as meaningful to you.

But if you have one of those kids who just doesn't fit inside the very narrow definition of normal, then this is a movie you should see.

It makes me wonder if, instead of trying so hard to help our children fit into their world, we should focus on making their world more accepting of them. Maybe, we should embrace their uniqueness instead of trying to shove them into ill fitting boxes. Maybe we could all learn someting if we would look through their eyes.

Maybe, we should believe in their right to be different. Maybe, we should champion the fantastic.

John Cusack, whom I have loved since he played "Hoops" in that movie One Crazy Summer and later, Lloyd Dobler in Say Anything is all grown up now. And he gives a truly stunning performance.

I love discovering little gems like that.



Third, Prince of Tides...wow. If you haven't read it, do.

I loathe book reviews that give away the entire plot, so I will spare you that. But I will say that Pat Conroy is an amazing storyteller and his prose is absolutely remarkable. I found myself speaking phrases from the book because they were so beautiful, so interesting, or so evocative that I just needed to hear them said aloud.

His characters are wonderfully rich and complex. Even his villians are not so villainous when he has peeled back all the layers and exposed the core of their misery. It takes a real pro at character development to create a vulnerable, sympathetic nemesis.

Again I must thank whomever it was who recommended that I read him. I can't wait to crack open another of his brilliant stories.

Last but not least, I would like to leave you with this from my friend Nina. It is the first verse of a poem she wrote. You can read the rest of it here.

she cried uncle today,
life's expectations, self expectations
she dropped them at her feet.
She then stepped over them and walked away.


For some reason, that hits me right in the gut.

Afterthought: Seriously? I am OVER the pussy searches.

21 Comments:

  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    That movie does look good ~ thank you for sharing! I'll put it on my Netflix queue...
    I hope PPO feels better and doesn't share his cooties... Poor guy! And hope you get some sleep tonight, Mama!

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    That verse is just incredible.

    I have to chew on it for awhile.

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger thailandchani said…

    Sounds like a great movie.. and everything you said is right on! It is important to embrace differences instead of trying to bury them. Now I want to see the movie.

    Agree with you about Pat Conroy.

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    Feel better. And stay out of the way of their aim...yuck.

    Loving those Nina lines this week. Loving. them.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger nina michelle said…

    Hey! You are talking about me! hee hee

    thank you sweets!
    oxox
    neen

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Life As I Know It said…

    I love John Cusack!

    Hope your son feels better soon!

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    I've heard of Martian Child -- recently, so it's funny you mention it here. I heard it was quite good.

    I hope general health and wellness is restored quickly to your neck of the woods. Sick sucks.

    The verse? Is compelling.

     
  • At 2:45 AM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    sending healing vibes, sister.

     
  • At 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    John Cusack has a permanent spot on my "list."

    I hope all are well soon!

     
  • At 10:29 AM, Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said…

    I have been wanting to see that movie. I love both of the Cusacks. Especially when they are in a movie together...

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I will Netflix the Martian Child one. Sounds like something I could get into, my middle her Asperger's and can be hard to understand.

    I saw the movie, Price of Tides, but have never read the book. I think I'll have to put that on my list too.

    Hey, I was just thinking.. they should come up with a place like Netflix where you can rent books. Yeah yeah I know, there's a library. But I like doing the mail scene lol. I don't like to leave my house.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Kim said…

    Ok I am requesting Prince of Tides from my library - I am going on your word here, cus I need someone to follow see :) And Oprah has let me down far too often.

    Sending tummy-settling vibes to the kid.

    I definitely plan to check out Martin Child too - thanks

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger The Woman Formerly Known as Jenn said…

    I truly enjoyed Prince of Tides, but *loved loved loved* Beach Music. In my opinion, Pat Conroy is pure magic with that one. I'd love to hear what you think of it.

    Martian Child is high on my list of "what to rent next." Glad to hear it belongs there :-).

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger sltbee69 said…

    I felt like I was reading about myself when you were describing your impatience with PO's illness. I have one of those but it's a girl. I hope he starts feeling better. Thanks for the movie recommendation. I'll have to check that out. And yes, I agree, the book, Prince of Tides, was a great read. Truly much better than the movie.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw Martian Child at the theater. I really liked it. I saw it for several reasons, not he least of which is that both John AND Joan Cusack are in it. I like both of them. They did not let me down in this movie. The movie it self might be a little on the idealistic, unrealistic side. Generally kids adopted from foster care that exhibit extreme behaviors are not that easily "fixed". But, on the opposite vein we should not discount all kids as broken who are just different from the average. And, hey, it's just a movie. I watch them for them entertainment value. It was sweet.

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Sarahviz said…

    Pat Conroy is one of my all time favorites.

    The Great Santini and Beach Music are divine.

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Forever In Blue Jeans said…

    Martian Child is on my list of must sees... and I think you're right... forcing kids (or anyone for that matter) into pre-defined, pre-labled, and pre-padded boxes is probably not in our best interest.

    Sending "toughs" to the child unit. (Remind me to tell you the story that goes with "toughs" sometime)

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger email said…

    LOVE Pat Conroy! His best (in my opinion) and my favorite book of all time is "Beach Music." Definitely read that one.

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger crazymumma said…

    I loved the book Prince of Tides. Not so much the movie.

    Hope your boy feels better soon.

     
  • At 12:01 AM, Blogger painted maypole said…

    i actually saw "martian child" on an airplane, and like it.

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger Shelley Jaffe said…

    Mama loves her some John Cusack - I even wrote him a love letter (post in December '07). Was curious about the movie & waiting for it to come out on DVD. I will check it out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home