Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Best. Husband. Ever.

The title of my post today was going to be "Best. Wife. Ever."

Because I allowed my husband to mount a 50 inch high def plasma screen television above the mantle in our living room.

You may think...So? What's the big deal?

Well, you see...I live in a house full of men, and as such, I don't have a whole lot of space for feminine frippery.

Once, a piece from my treasured collection of vintage perfume bottles met with a grisly end when a ball was tossed into the ceiling fan and careened into the bookshelves where I had them displayed. Since then, I don't really scatter knicky-knacky things about like many women do, because they are sure to meet with a similar fate.

But I had a few cherished things upon the mantle. It looked nice.

I had a set of brass etchings that we bought in Paris on our honeymoon from a street artisan whose booth was set up at the base of Montmartre. I look at them and remember the majesty of Sacre Couer and how we joked as we climbed a very narrow staircase to the top that we hoped there wasn't a fire.

I had a set of Waterford Crystal candlesticks rimmed in 18 kt gold that we got as a wedding gift. I rarely light them because I don't want them damaged. But I love to look at them. I love having them.

I had a Mikasa crystal decanter, also a wedding gift, filled with petals from a bouquet that Husband gave me on some long forgotten occasion.

I had pictures of my boys, including my favorite one of Diminutive One. The look on his face is quintessiantially, essentially, superbly...him.

I had a mirror in a beautiful frame that I got when a very chi-chi home decor store went out of business.

Now, there is an enormous black rectangle. It's not attractive.

But you know what? Either is the rest of my living room. It's a dark, low ceilinged room with bland white walls and ugly teal green furniture. It isn't a showplace. It isn't a sanctuary. It's just a room.

So what do I care?

I said to some friends not long ago, that one day I would have my sanctuary; a beautiful high ceilinged room with floor to ceiling bookshelves and an ornate fireplace above which I would mount a copy of my favorite painting.

So I wasn't terribly upset about the fact that his new television is now dominating the landscape in our livingroom.

Still. I did plan to get some mileage out of it. Mostly in the form of blog fodder, but also in the form of some good old fashioned emotional extortion.

But then, today, on a day we had agreed only to give cards and chocolates, he presented me with this:



Damn him. He totally ruined my pithy title.

27 Comments:

  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    oooof. my HEART!

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    awwwww!!!

    gorgeous painting!

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    Ding ding ding - that man definitely racked up some serious points there! Good for him and lucky you!

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger Lara said…

    i got chills! so wonderful. :)

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I gasped!!! Oh my!!! You posted a photo of yourself once -- and once of your boys. How about a peek at this amazing husband, ya know, just in case there is another one rambling around somewhere, I'd like to be able to identify him. :)

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Amie Adams said…

    Darn it! I hate when the do that. ;)

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    Just when you can be mad at them they have to do something great.
    Happy Valentines day

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    he is most excellent.

     
  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    I was totally taken by surprise at the ending to this post. I expected jewelry or something.

    Yes, indeed, you've got a good hubby.

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Blogger kevin black said…

    Beautiful! And touching. I mean the post and the painting.

    Here's some worthless advice: Paint that goddamn room! White walls do nothing to accentuate a room unless they're covered in rubber and you, having already been heavily medicated, are donning a special jacket of your very own in which you can't uncross your arms.

    Incorporate the TV in the artwork of the room. Use it as the middle piece and plan a layout of other artworks around it. You're painting probably deserves space all it's own, but grab other stuff from around the house and hang it up on that wall. Then when you see how cool your stuff looks hanging around the now-not-as-ugly TV paint the goddamn wall.

    P.S. Your Sacre Coeur story made me nostalgic for the City of Lights. We also honeymooned there.

    P.P.S. But seriously -- the wall.

     
  • At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, your painting! What a guy. I love surprises like that.

     
  • At 1:30 AM, Blogger jean said…

    What a sweet, sweet man. He is wonderful.

     
  • At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So if the TV's above the mantle, where does she go?

     
  • At 4:22 AM, Blogger Polgara said…

    What a gorgeous painting!
    You lucky girl!
    Pol x

     
  • At 7:27 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    I love that painting....the frame is perfect for it too...

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    How cool! Lucky Mama! And lucky him too ~ obviously, he knows it. :)

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sounds like my kind of man. Can I trade him in for mine.. or at least a model just like him? My v-day gift was bought a) while I was with him, and b) a week ahead of V-day with strict instructions not to make use of it until at least V-day.

    *sigh* I still love him though!

    Nice painting!

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger painted maypole said…

    very nice. i finally broke down (read: was manipulated into) getting an HDTV for our living room. But it did not go above the mantel.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    Don't you hate it when they go and do something all nice like that?

    :)

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Foofa said…

    Beautiful and a great present.

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Mary Alice said…

    I love it.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Phoenix said…

    What's that saying, something about a woman says something to her husband about ruining the grass, by always playing ball with the boys on it. And he says, we're not raising grass, we're raising boys.

    The day will come when you'll have a whole house to decorate with whatever you want, but that time isn't now. Now I will tell you, you'll learn to love that big ole' TV though.

    PS. Your husband is a smart man.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said…

    Oh! I remember you talking about your deep love for that painting... What a sweet man. He definitely gets serious points for this one...

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Blogger Code Yellow Mom said…

    Goose bumps all. over. He is definitely a keeper. ;)

    And oh! Where will you hang June?

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Code Yellow Mom said…

    P.S. Your Flaming June post is one of the first ones of yours I ever read. And it hooked me because I also love her. I am now envious as can be. :)

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    Goosebumps here. What a great husband!

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger anne said…

    I remember the first post about the painting. What a wonderful gift.

    And regarding the not-displaying of treasured items...

    10 years ago my in-laws had a fire in their house. The house wasn't completely destroyed but they lost quite a bit of personal belongings. I will never forget my mother-in-law telling me about a beautiful crystal bowl that she received as a wedding gift. She kept it in a box in the attic for years, only to put it on display a few weeks before the fire. Of course, it was ruined in the fire. Her one regret was that she didn't put it out sooner so she could have enjoyed it more.

    I take the same view with pretty much all of my stuff. Antique or not, it gets used.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home