Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Blogs are not Stupid

I'm giving serious consideration to changing the name of my blog.

I've been cruising around the blogosphere for a little over a month now, and I have to admit this blog thing is growing on me. I've enjoyed customizing my blog a great deal, and have learned a lot in the process. And though its not nearly as slick and polished as some of the blogs I've seen, it's not too shabby for someone who six weeks ago didn't know an anchor tag from an image tag. I am inordinately proud of it, despite its amateurish simplicity.

I'll even go so far as to admit that blogging has become Spiritual Lipstick for me. Indulging my creative side is something that has too often gotten put on the back burner in favor of a thousand endless domestic obligations. And though writing is something I do strictly for my own enjoyment, the pointlessness is sometimes hard to justify when there just aren't enough hours in the day for really important stuff such as the the fine art of stain removal.

But blogging has changed that. Now I have the satisfaction of knowing that someone, somewhere, might actually read my graniloquent blather and that's all I need to spur me into a flurry of creative energy. I'd forgotten how good that felt. Why that matters is uncertain, but it does. It absolutely does.

In short, I get it now.

Now, there are undeniably some really, really stupid blogs out there. Really. Stupid. But you know...who am I to say how someone should use their blog? Who am I to dictate what is and is not appropriately creative, sufficiently urbane or justifiably entertaining? If it makes some schlub happy to pretend he's the Hulk and write third person mono-syllabic narrative...who am I to trivialize that? This occurred to me when writing my previous entry. If being the Hulk is someone's Spiritual Lipstick...shame on me for belittling.

But likewise, there are some really, clever, insightful, creative and witty blogs out there. I have been searching for blogs with some purpose, some meaning, some REASON for existing. But I have overlooked the only reason that really matters. It makes people happy. And, if in the pursuit of happiness, some bloggers manage to entertain, enlighten, or touch someone...so much the better.

So, in light of my epiphany, the question arises...What should I rename my blog? *Some* blogs are Stupid? *Most* blogs are Stupid? Hmmm. Need to do some brainstorming on that. Feel free to drop any ideas you may have in my suggestion box.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:54 PM, Blogger nina michelle said…

    How about !!!HOT NAKED GIRLS!!! Of course, you don't have include hot naked girls on your blog but I imagine it would increase your hit count quite a bit...

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    How about Blogs Are Stupid Except Mine? I would totally laugh at that. I might even come back here again.

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger Poppy B. said…

    You can just keep fiddling with the name until you find one you like better. But remember, that which we call a blog, by any other name would smell as sweet.

    You write extremely well, and I'm bookmarking your blog, no matter what its name is.

     
  • At 5:22 AM, Blogger Callisto said…

    Quite glad that you did not let your initial assertion that Blogs are Stupid, prevent you from starting this one. Lovely writing, I'm coming away from your site not so much enlightened as entertained and in the words of one bad actor "I'll be back".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home