Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Importance of Being Earnest

The internet is a big place. It is peopled with with a dizzying array of staggeringly diverse individuals. That's a diplomatic way of saying that there are a whole lot of freaks navigating the information superhighway.

But freakishness is relative.

Quirky, eccentric, offbeat and kooky are all acceptable kinds of freaky. We view these people as interesting and colorful. We allow them their freakiness beccause it amuses us. We encourage their whacky ways because it adds vibrance and dimension to a world that is otherwise bland and lackluster in its sameness.

But then there is the Marilyn Manson tortured artist kind of freaky. His freakishness frightens us because it is sensual and alluring. His wickedness and blatant disregard for convention titillates us and makes us dream of forbidden things. This is the kind of freakishness that we disparage with our mouths, but yearn for in our hearts. It awakens the inner freak that we all fear, so we push it away and call it names.

And of course there is freakishness that is dark and malevolent. It lurks in the dark shadows of the internet, waiting for prey, feeding its aberrant desires with lurid imagery and decadent discourse. That is the kind of freaky that compels us to gaurd our children and lock our doors. Because we know that like everyone else on the internet, they are real people, living among us.

But every once in a while, we stumble upon a special kind of freaky. For reasons we don't quite understand, we are captivated and charmed. Perhaps it is the whimsy, perhaps it is the childlike joy that these people project. Perhaps it is their self-indulgent and carefree pursuit of that which makes them happy. Who among us doesn't admire that? Who among us isn't insanely jealous of someone who pursues their heart's desire with complete abandon?

I have recently run accross one such individual. Admittedly, my first thought was... "Wow, that is one fuh-reaky Dude." But I was drawn in, sucked in, really, to his amazing little world. I bet I spent an hour at his website just reading, looking at pictures and wondering what it was about him that fascinated me so.

As I read, I gained a lot of respect for him. He is living his life honestly. He is who he is and he makes no apologies. Nor does he hide behind socially accepted pretenses. His brand of freakishsness isn't hurting anyone. In fact he strives to make the world a better place by laboring to further acceptance and understanding for those who are not....conventional. He has founded a ministry through which these individuals can worship a God that others have said is off limits to them because of who they are.

His real name is Randy Constan, but he bills himself as the real life Peter Pan. And I have to wonder if he hasn't actually found the answer to staying forever young. The man is 50 years old and still looks to be in his late twenties. Perhaps its as simple as following your joy.

Is there any of us who couldn't use a little more of that in our lives? Whimsy...it does a body good.



Visit Pixieland Today. Be sure to visit the Fashion Pages. And consider making a donation to his Ministry. It's not often that I encounter something worthy.

Afterthought: He is also a spokesperson for Net Neutrality, which if course, is something that affects all of us. Check it out at WearetheWeb.org

12 Comments:

  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger kevin black said…

    I gotta confess that I've seen his site and found it a wee bit disturbing. Not serial killer disturbing or child molester disturbing but weird in a way that made me feel uncomfortable reading his stuff. Is it my own insecurity? Can I not come to terms with my own fey-ness? Who knows?

    Another site to check out though is blackpeopleloveus.com. Now that site is sheer genius.

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said…

    Okay, the fashion pages are just SO WORTH even a tiny peep. The blog post title is too perfect.

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    now I'm officially skeeved out!

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting that your last entry speaks of Karr & his oddity and how you're pissed off & skeeved out by him, but then you sing the praises of this guy.

    I think that's odd.

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    You find it odd that someone who hides himself in our schools and our neighborhoods so he can prey upon innocent children and has quite possibly murdered one, chills me to the bone?

    You find it odd that I find someone else who is living their life honestly and openly and is hurting nobody admirable?

    How very interesting. Would you care to explain why?

     
  • At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not the one finding it odd, but I feel I must address a particular question.

    I, personally, find it admirable that he has the self esteem to put himself out there on the web the way he has. I was skeeved by the other photos, moreso than the Peter Pan personna. The Little Lord Fauntleroy and the Blue Prince and Boy photos seemeed a bit odd to me. Kudos for him for putting it out there and I commend him for it. Just skeeved a bit by the other photos, for whatever reason I cannot fathom at the moment.

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    I'm trying to go there with ya, I really am. But...but...

     
  • At 4:28 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    LOL. It's okay. Like I said, my first thought was not very charitable either. But he kinda grew on me. And even if I think he's kinda weird, I have to admire his courage and his honesty.

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry. I saw him on that obsession show on VH-1 (which, if you haven't seen, will scare the living shits out of you... we're talking karazy obsessions).

    And dude.

    He's nuts.

    Granted, he's not hurting anyone (although doesn't he eat a shitload of candy?) - so I won't hate on him. But...

    Yeah. What mom-101 said.

     
  • At 6:29 AM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    Hey, C'mon now! You young hip folks are supposed to be the open and accepting ones and us oldsters are supposed to be fantastically closed minded. What gives?? ;?)

    I hadn't heard the candy thing. It doesn't say anything about that on his site. I suppose someone who is perpetually eight years old might eat a buttload of candy. Diminutive One certainly would, left to his own devices.

    Anyway, on his site, he addressed the issue of the VH1 show. He alleges that they promised him a positive and unbiased representation, but instead twisted some things to make the story more dramatic, and then refused to make a donation to his children's charity as agreed upon.

    Who knows? But the media isn't exactly the last bastion of truth and honesty.

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Keegan said…

    I think we should give him a break. Wouldn't we all be a little freakier if we weren't too scared? Haven't all of us thought about what we would dress up as, or imagined flying around like Tink, if our family and friends wouldn't disown us? Or is it just me...

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    I totally agree with that. If it weren't for the conventions forced upon us by society, I think we would all be a lot freakier than we are.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home