Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Eyes Have It

BITACLE.ORG steals content. JESUS GLEZ is a THIEF. If you are reading this post on BITACLE.ORG, you are supporting theft of intellectual property. This post was written and copyrighted by BLOG ANTAGONIST, who has not given consent for material to be reproduced. Please visit BLOGS ARE STUPID to enjoy this content LEGALLY.


Currently, my pupils are the size of quarters, and apparently, they are going to stay that way for another 24 hours. I went out and ran some errands, terrified of being stopped for some routine traffic violation, only to have the cop take one look at me and realize I was high as a kite.

"What are you on Ma'am? Ma' am? Do you have it on you? Get out the car please. Lie down spread eagled with your hands behind your head while I search your mini-van. Dispatch, I'm going to need some backup here."

Gauchos and sandals aren't really felony attire. Or is drug possesion a misdemeanor? I'm so not up on my drug offender penal code.

I can scarcely focus, and the usually soft glow of my computer screen is driving spikes of agony into the backs of my completely exposed and vulnerable eyeballs. The seeing in the dark thing is kind of cool. Unfortunately for me, I am not the undead.

But...it seems I am a go for surgery, so I can deal with looking like a overweight anime drawing for a couple days.

I have chosen to have my procedure done at Emory Vision Center.

It's one of the best in the country. It's a little more expensive than most places, but truthfully, I haven't done any comparison shopping to know exactly how much more. If I'm going to have my corneas sliced and diced, I'm not interested in a bargain basement doctor. I want someone with an honest to goodness medical degree, not a certificate he got in Tijuana on his last vacation. I've seen the results of those Mexican boob jobs on TLC. I don't want to end up with irises as walleyed as the nipples on those unfortunate gals.

I was extremely impressed with the whole set-up and with the staff. They were courteous and personable without being overly solicitous. The technician who did all my corneal mapping and various other tests (you can ultrasound an eyeball...who knew?) chatted with me happily and easily and the doctor never made me feel like I was keeping her from something really important. She explained everything thoroughly and she seemed HAPPY that I was asking questions. A doctor who encourages questions...what a novel concept.

There was lots of comfortable seating in the thoughtfully dim lounge, and the hospitality room offered a nice selection of flavored coffees, sodas, fruit juice and bottled water. But the best part...there was an abundant selection of CURRENT magazines. Yes. Not one was more than a few weeks old. I had brought a book as I always do, anticipating a dearth of reading material. But since I was 30 mins early (I planned for bad traffic, but got lucky) I fully enjoyed thumbing through "Entertainment", "InSyle" and "People". I didn't give "Time" or "Newsweek" a second glance.

I am scheduled for surery on 11/03.

It's hard to believe that in three weeks, I will no longer be fully dependant upon glasses or contacts. I've been wearing them since the third grade. That was long before they had the sophisticated grinding techniques that they have now, and I suffered through many years of wearing "Coke bottle" glasses so heavy they would scarcely stay on my face. I remember the sticker on the lense craze. I had a silver puppy dog. It drove me nuts but I pretended it didn't because everyone else had one.

I started wearing contacts back when you had to put use the heat disinfection machine. Then they came out with those fizzy tablets that smelled like eggs and that was really something. No more heat! No more lenses that baked into hard yellow scales. Yeah. It's fun to put that in your eye. It's a wonder more people didn't go blind from corneal abrasion and infection. Because I know that I went just as long between cleanings as I possibly could. My lenses would get so cloudy it was like looking through a soft focus camera lense. But the more you disinfected them, the faster they wore out, and back then, those suckers were expensive.

But no more. No more paying $400 for a pair of glasses. No more farting around with nosepieces and bows and adjustments. No more begging the eye doctor to give me just one more pair of contacts until I can squeeze in an appointment. No more feeling vulnerable without those blasted things perched on my nose. No more "blind as a bat."

WOW. Just...WOW.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger Mama of 2 said…

    Good Luck with the surgery. I am envious. I have scarring on my cornea so I am not a candidate but wish I was. I had a friend have the procedure a couple years ago and she loves it.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Foofa said…

    With my experience placing low income youth in jobs, I have learned much about drug charges. They are based on how much of a substance you have. I am guessing though that as a responsible mom you have a prescription for whatever you were possessing. No charges for you, they won't arrest you for being high (unless you hit someone).

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Wow. Just Wow indeed.

    I am looking forward to hearing all about the surgery. What I wouldn't give to be rid of my glasses and contacts!

     
  • At 2:42 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    You can always tell the quality of a medical facility by how recent their magazine selection is.

    Can't wait to hear how the surgery turns out!

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said…

    So I will never know the glasses wearing you...

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Blogger Kendra said…

    Best of luck and I'm SOO envious! I'd love to be rid of my glasses and contacts and all the hoo-ha associated with them.

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had Lasik done in March '06 after being dependent on glasses or contacts for 27 years. I hope you are as happy with your results as I am.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home