Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Flaming Happy

First, I want to thank everyone for their very kind comments on my post yesterday. I didn't intend for it to be a bid for sympathy, but I won't deny that the outpouring of concern and compassion made me feel really warm and fuzzy. The Blogosphere can be a truly wonderful place.

That said, I'm done wallowing. I need some happy. And what makes me happy is Flaming June. One day, I am going to hang her picture in a room painted the same color as her gown. It will be a sunny room with lots of windows, and lots of warmth. Maybe a fireplace for chilly fall and winter evenings. Lots of bookshelves and a big, comfy chair.

So who is Flaming June? I wrote about her a while back. And, as a present to myself, I'm going to repost what I wrote.

Because it makes me happy. Maybe it will make you happy too. I give you....

My Beautiful Flaming June


This painting is called "Flaming June" and even the name makes me feel light-hearted. June...I feel like she could be my friend. I think we would talk about books and babies, life and lovers, poetry and politics.

The color of her gown is vibrant and liquid; juicky like overripe Mediterranean fruit. I can feel the gossamer folds running like water between her thighs; cool and silky on her fevered skin. The ocean breeze caresses her, whispering through her hair and coaxing from it, the aroma of jonquils and baking bread. It carries the faint, delicious promise of summer rain. I wonder if it is the sun that has warmed her, or a lovers touch. I wonder if its the exhaustion of ardor that tranquilizes her or just the limpid peace of a perfect day.

I am brimming with contemporary disquiet, loaded with cares and concerns that June would find bewildering. I long for her contenment and langour. Sometimes I think that if I lie as still as she and imagine the tang of salt on my lips...I can steal her serenity for just a moment. Its a thought that cheers me. I find solace in her.

Lord Leighton would be pleased, I think.

(click for larger image...it's worth it.)



The Art of Lord Frederic Leighton

7 Comments:

  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said…

    Glorious!

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger Antique Mommy said…

    I love Flaming June. I love the happy color of her dress and I love that she looks like she occassionally enjoys a cheeseburger and milkshake. My kind of gal.

     
  • At 4:43 PM, Blogger Namito said…

    Man. I wish I could sleep like that.

    Wearing the gown wouldn't be half bad either.

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    Wow, your description is as beautiful as the picture!

     
  • At 11:45 PM, Blogger Amie Adams said…

    I just knew what I was going to see before I got to the picture.

    Lovely description. I completely agree.

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger J. Denae said…

    Flaming June is one of my favorites! That's what I think of when I need a little happy, too. She is just so peaceful and beautiful.

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger Code Yellow Mom said…

    Would you believe we looked at house for sale a few months ago and the living room was painted a slightly lighter orange than her gown, and she was the main artwork, right over the couch. Shoot. That was enough to make me want to buy the house right there.

    And your post about her is beautiful.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home