Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Worth Wondering

People who read me with regularity sometimes say...

"Wow, you've lived a really interesting/extraordinary/unusual life!"

Yes, I have. But so have you. And so has the mailman. And the grocery store clerk. And that guy who puts weed killer on my lawn. And the homeless man begging at the on-ramp to I75. And the librarian who makes polite chit chat with me about the books that I check out.

My life is no more or less interesting than a thousand other lives out there.

There is extraordinary in the ordinary. There is beauty in the mundane. There is nobility in the prosaic. There is heroism in mediocrity.

We just have to open our eyes and see it.

I've always been a people watcher. It's my favorite pastime. I notice things about them and I invent entire lifestories based on insignificant details, such as a battered wristwatch on the arm of an otherwise expensively dressed man (It was his father's, whom he never knew, because he was killed in WWII when his plane was shot down. The watch was the only thing recovered).

And who's to say these fabulous things aren't true? It's not impossible. And chances are that something even more profound and wonderful than my imaginings lies within the real lifestory.

Because life and the people who live it are that intereseting. Really.

Online, as in real life, I have a very small, intimate circle of friends. And both of these circles contain people with amazing life stories, unimaginable courage and perserverence, and unshakable conviction when it comes to their principles, their beliefs and their passion.

So have I just won the cool people and amazing friends lottery? Well, I'd like to think so. My friends are pretty special people. But the fact is...EVERYONE has something and is something worth celebrating.

That grungy guy panhandling on the Interstate could be a Vietnam vet. Maybe he saved an entire platoon from extermination, except one guy. Maybe he had to hide in the jungle and eat centipedes for a year before he was rescued and returned to his home. Maybe he still has nightmares about that one guy and wakes up screaming and that's why he can't hold a job. Maybe he's just now beginning to believe he is safe.

Maybe that nondescript cashier at the grocery store has seventeen adopted children. Maybe the Mailman runs a soup kitchen in his spare time. Maybe that guy who puts weed killer on my lawn risked his life to smuggle an entire village across the border so they could have a better life. Maybe that unassuming librarian is a whip cracking Dominatrix when the sun goes down.

You just never know.

So the next time you're tempted to think of my life as extraordinary because of the things that I've written about, just take a look at your own. Take a look at the people in it. Look beneath the surface and find the extraordinary.

It's there. I guarantee it.

Wonder about people. Because they're almost all worth wondering about.

14 Comments:

  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger Avalon said…

    Very cool to consider. Even when we think we already know someone, there is so much more under the surface that we never get to see.

     
  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger OhTheJoys said…

    So true, so true.

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just stumbled upon your stupid blog.

    I am very much looking forward to reading your blog a little more. So far you are woman after my own heart. Glad there are others out there.

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Pendullum said…

    Amen!

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Blogger mischief said…

    I totally agree, my friend! People-watching is fun. And you're so right - everyone has a "story". ;-)

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Six Green Zebras said…

    How do you do it? First I'm reading and laughing, then I'm nearly in tears, then I'm laughing again, finally - I'm thinking.

    Makes me think of a certain old, beautiful, vintage dress - I'm sure it has a story to tell. I hope it's a marvelous one.

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Her Bad Mother said…

    BRAVO. And, too true. Something that we really do need to remind ourselves of.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    You are so right. As I tend to become so inwardly focused, these words are important for me to hear and remember.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Cathy said…

    Very cool post. Definitely food for thought and a damn good reason to not judge those around us so harshly, unfairly.. or at all.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Ruth Dynamite said…

    Yes indeed! Thank God for their stories (real and imagined).

     
  • At 4:02 PM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Yes, yes, yes. Which is precisely why I am a people watcher. Everyone has a story. Everyone.

     
  • At 12:39 AM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    amen, friend. amen.

     
  • At 11:58 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    I just loved the hell out of this.

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you ever heard of Storycorp: Recording America? I'll go ahead and explain it for the benefit of anyone who has not.

    It's this thing where these portable recording booths are set up in different cities and people can go in them and talk for, I think, five minutes, about their lives.

    Anyway, they air them on NPR on Fridays, I believe, and they are an absolute study in seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary. I really like it.

    You can get listen to tons of them on NPR's web site by going here:

    http://tinyurl.com/3aow3s

     

Post a Comment

<< Home