Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Bad Blogger

Way back when this blog was nothing but a satirical commentary on the nature of blogs and bloggers, I said I would never chastise myself for not blogging more frequently. I would never be a slave to my blog or my audience. I would never write just to see words on the page. I would never blather on about the inanities of my life. My blog would mean something.

It's a good thing I like crow.

I've been a bad blogger. ((cringe)) That looks even more pathetic in writing. But I haven't been writing anything worth reading and I haven't been commenting.

I have a perfectly good reason for that, I swear.

This is the last week of school for my kids, and last week was baseball playoffs for both boys. I've been running around like the proverbial chicken minus his proverbial head.

This is what my life is about, of course. It's what I do. I procure stuff. I organize stuff. I attend stuff. It was part of the deal I made with husband when I told him I wasn't going back to work twelve years ago.

Also, I have been working on editing my piece "Funeral In a Small Town" for submission to the Southern Women Writers Writing contest. The deadline is June 1st. My piece has roughly twice as many words as the submission guidelines require, and it is killing me to discard even the smallest one.

I really don't know how "real" writers survive the editorial process. I have labored over these words, writing and re-writing until they felt the way I wanted them to feel. They are like my children these words...conceived in my mind and birthed onto the page. I cherish them. I am proud of them. I love them. Like my flesh and blood children, they are my legacy.

Needless to say, it's a slow and agonizing process.

So...anyway...despite the validity of my reasons for being absent from the blogosphere, I feel guilty about the crapitude of my blogging lately, as well as not making the rounds to comment the way I normally do.

I'm such a dork.

Forgive me.

16 Comments:

  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger mischief said…

    Forgiven. Life gets busy sometimes. You just have to go with it.

    Your faithful readers will be here for you. Thanks for your honesty.

    Best wishes on your upcoming submission, and hang in there with the editing. That's always hard. Let us know when you win, okay? ;-)

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger Emily Suess said…

    I've never been here before. This is my first impression of you and your writing--and I still plan on coming back. Good luck on that editing stuff. It ain't no cake walk.

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said…

    No worries - good luck on the submission!

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Send me that bad boy - I'll edit it for you!

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Your are forgiven. I love your writing. I can wait for the good stuff.

    Good Luck on the article submission. I'm a good "editor". I've been editing, commenting and terrorizing my students and their writings for years. Email it on over and I'll be glad to cut it back for you. Today is the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL AND I'M GONNA BE FREE!!!! Seriously, if you'd like, send it on over. What's the worst that could happen? You hate what I did and push delete.

     
  • At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck with the submission! All my fingers and toes are crossed that you win and are "discovered."

     
  • At 12:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've been a professional writer for over 25 years. You have to be egoless to get through the editorial process. And rememeber, editors SUGGEST, they don't demand. If you don't like an edit, or it changes the way you want to present an idea, you're allowed to ignore the editor!

    Good luck with it, it's hard I know.

     
  • At 7:12 AM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    Is it bad of me that I'm glad you're a bad blogger right now? I'm so far behind on blog reading, having just moved, that I'm kind of glad you're too busy to write. LOL.

    So totally forgiven. :)

     
  • At 7:14 AM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    I could never even handle seeing red marks on my business letters; I can't even imagine trying to edit a work of love.

    Take your time, I'll be back no matter what! (not that I'm all so important, but I'm sure others will stick around too!)

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Foofa said…

    I think it's okay. We know that daily life sometimes takes precedence over blogging, as it should. Sometimes I try to write just to do it and usually those are the lamest posts. Better to save it until the time is right.

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Namito said…

    Life comes first, girlfriend.

    Good luck on that editing. The nice thing about the computer age is it's easy to save a copy of your baby, and have another to heartlessly cut down to size.

    Do you have time to get away from it for a bit? Might give you a bit more objectivity.

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Kevin Charnas said…

    Nothing to forgive, Princess Dorkess of the Land of Dorkia. ;)

    I know the battle of which you speak, oh tired and stressed one.

    Know that you are not alone and may the Force be with you.

    Or at least a good bottle of wine.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    Ah, the blog. That ruthless bitch. She always makes us question ourselves.

    As for your story, good luck! I can't imagine having to edit something you love so much but I know you'll do it.

     
  • At 6:03 AM, Blogger Ruth Dynamite said…

    Oh puh-lease. Good luck with contest!

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Code Yellow Mom said…

    I can forgive anyone who uses the word "crapitude."

    Editing is killer...I wish you the best in the contest!

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    yup. it's ok. it's nice though, that i miss you when you are gone, right?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home