Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Fine Art of Idleness

I slept until 1:00 today. Yes.

One. Pee. Em.

I should have included that little fact on my "ten things" post. I love to sleep. LOVE it. I am not a morning person, which is an unfortunate trait to possess when one has children that have be fed and clothed and put on the bus by 7 am. But, my night owl tendencies came in really handy when dealing with infants.

At any given point in any day, I could lie down and sleep for several hours or more. However, once the moon is high in the sky, my ability to sleep often abandons me.

I have tried for years to reset my internal clock to no avail. My body likes it that way and sees no reason to change. All my efforts have ever afforded me is a whopping case of sleep deprivation and frustration borne of hours lying in a rumpled bed while the unsleeping minutes tick by.

I try not to sleep during the day. Because I do have to get up with my kids and if I succumb to the allure of my soft, fluffy, womblike bed...I pay for it. I have at times, lain awake for the entire night, risen to see them off to school, and then somnambulated my way through the entire day trying to assure myself a good night's sleep the following night.

And since the world operates on a 9-5 schedule, there are things I must accomplish during the day that cannot be accomplished during those hours when my thought processes are the sharpest. It sucks to be nocturnal in a world that is populated by worm lovers.

However, a lot of housework does get done during the hours between dusk and dawn.

Also, I love my bed. I do all manner of things in my bed. I write, I read, I talk on the phone, I network. We don't have a television in the bedroom, but sometimes I take my laptop in there to watch episodes of stuff I have missed on Meevee or Netflix.

I once read that Einstein was the same way, and sometimes didn't leave his bed for days, though he was perfectly well. He just had a deep and abiding affinity for his bed.

Anyway...today, one of my Mother's Day indulgences was being allowed to sleep as late as I pleased. I really only slept until about 10:30, which surprised me. Then I cracked open a book and read for two hours. Then I simply laid in my bed and listened to Husband exorting the boys to relative quiet and trying to keep the house in good order until I arose.

You know those Mothers who complain that they appreciate the thought, but they just can't sit around doing nothing? I am not one of them. I have raised the art of loafing to new heights.

After I got up, I was plied with blueberry muffins and hot fresh coffee. The house was boy clean, and I had cards aplenty, as well as a Barnes&Noble gift card, which, in my house is the gold standard of gifts. Screw diamonds.

Then I went for an hour long walk while hubby slaved in the kitchen over my favorite meal. It's a Persian meal that requires hours of preparation, so it's no small feat.

Now, I'm going to go soak in a tub, uninterrupted, with a glass of wine. I'm going to shave everything. At the same time. I'm going to apply a face mask and not remove it until it's completely dry.

Then we will eat the fine meal hubby has prepared and watch a movie of my choosing. It will not be animated. It will not feature any person with super powers.

Have the boys bickered? Oh yes. Has the house gotten messed up? Yep. And now there are mounds of laundry, which I usually do Sunday afternoons, waiting for me Monday morning.

But no matter.

I can deal with anything when my chin hairs have been depilitated and my feet have been pumiced to the bone.

Ahhhhhhhh.

13 Comments:

  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I too am well-versed in the art of idleness. Truly, too many of us don't appreciate the nothingness that is so calming. Oh, and I am lover of sleep too. Morning, is just too early.

    Happy Mom's Day

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    oh. that is absolutely perfect. it's amazing how much we appreciate these moments or days we once took for granted.

    i am glad you were well loved today.

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger jean said…

    I thought I was the only one who "woke up" at night. Wow. I have to tell my husband that there are others!

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like you had a wonderful day:)

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    Lovely day. Yes, B&N gift cards are prized here too. I wish I could relax sometimes; I'm just wired to be a nutcase.

    Happy Mother's Day!

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Damn. That sounds way better than the hours of unpacking I did on Mother's Day. Scoot over. I want in the tub too.

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    That sounds heavenly. The only time I stay in bed past 9am (and even that is a huge indulgence saved for special occasions) is when I'm too sick to move.

    I'm glad you had a great Mother's Day! You deserve it.

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger Foofa said…

    Sounds like an absolutely perfect mothers day. Sleeping is the greatest!

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger S said…

    Love sleep, too.

    And B&N.

    I think we'd be friends.

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger Sandy. said…

    I too have mastered the art of idleness. I love having a day with NOTHING to do . . . unfortunately, I can't remember the last one of those.

    It was undoubtedly a day well-deserved. I'm glad you enjoyed it for all its worth.

    Sandy.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love to sleep and am at my very best when I can do it until I wake up on my own.

    I'm a night owl, too. My husband doesn't understand it. He can't stay up past 10 p.m. unless he is heavily caffeinated. I'm brilliant at night. Too bad no one is up to appreciate it.

     
  • At 6:25 AM, Blogger Code Yellow Mom said…

    I was getting relaxed just reading this...sounds like a fabulous day!

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Blogger tulipmom said…

    First time visitor ...

    Your Mother's Day sounds like my idea of the perfect day! I'm a big believer in naps. I also share your night owl tendencies ... that's when I get most of the stuff around the house done. Try as I might, I just can't seem to get to bed early. My hubby, on the other hand, is rarely awake past 8:30 pm. Every night is New Year's Rockin' Eve here, let me tell you!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home