Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Happy Is As Happy Does

Ugh. I am having poster's remorse, as I usually do when I have a public pity party. It's really not my style, but occasionally, the urge to whine overwhelms me. I humbly beg your pardon.

So let's move on. I need to think about happy things. You know what makes me happy? Color. I adore color. Taupe is my nemesis.

I have a friend who has done her entire home in neutral tones. It makes me want to stick a fork in my eye. It's so blaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.

Recently she bought a new comforter for her bedroom. It's cabbage roses on a dark beige background, which sounds really kitschy, but it's actually very nice. It's some type of fabric with a slight sheen to it. I like the lustre.

She asked me to help her shop for paint, which is silly, because she knew I would choose deep vibrant colors. And she knew that she would still end up painting it some boring earth tone. Sure enough, she chose chip after chip in tones of beige, taupe and mud, while I was attracted to the pink, the green, and the rose hues.

I implored her to use some color. Her bedroom has a vaulted ceiling and can handle it. She agreed that her home could use some color and said she would consider it.

She painted it taupe.

Gah.

I have a dream home completely constructed, furnished and decorated in my mind. In my dream home is my dream room. It is a medium sized room with large, long windows on two sides that let in the afternoon sun. On one wall is a large fireplace. It is not brick or marble, rather but dark, rich wood that is carved with wonderful whorling shapes. It is oiled with something that smells of lemon, and gleams richly.

Above the fireplace hangs this picture:



She is Flaming June and everything about her makes me happy. I've written about her previously, and my fondness for her only grows deeper with time.

The walls are painted a vibrant orange. But not the orange of organges. It is the orange of flames. The orange of sunsets. The orange of of autumn leaves. It is the color of warmth and contentment.

The walls are lines with bookshelves upon which are all my beloved books. My birth books, poetry books, writing books, wine books, art books, gardening books, decorating books. And of course there are scads and scads of delicious fiction, most of which I cannot bear to part with.

In one corner there is a big, overstuffed chair with an ottoman. Beside the chair is a sturdy but attactive table upon which to pile the periodicals I devour like candy; Writer's Digest, Time, Newsweek. And yes, there is some not so highbrow reading material as well; InStyle, Cosmo, Good Housekeeping.

Behind the chair is a leaded glass Tiffany floorlamp (because in my dreams I can afford one) that lights the pages I read.

The floor is hardwood, but upon it is a thick and beautiful rug in shades of forest and umber. It makes me think of faraway places, where men are dark and women are sultry. There are plants in terracotta pots (because in my dreams, I can actually keep them alive) and framed photographs on the walls.

Best of all, there are no smelly sneakers, sports equipment or legos littering the floor. There are no cartoons blaring. It is a no bickering, farting, burping or armpit pumping zone. It's a no I'm telling, you started it did not did too zone.

Ahhhhhhh.

Now that makes me happy.

27 Comments:

  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    Oh me too. Part of apartment living that kills me is the lack of color. White walls make me itchy. I am longing for a flaming june....

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My favorite picture of all times...and it hangs above my sleigh bed. Just always makes me feel cozy.

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger Brook Ann ( the Great ) said…

    I read only the last two posts here and I totally relate to you. I too don't want to live where I live, and you couldn't have captured my feeling more perfectly when you said that living between two worlds is such mess, and you don't recommend it to anyone. I am living that nightmare, trying to stop, but haven't been able to. Also I love color and books. I am in a place with a lot of color, but NOT ONE BOOK. I love that you talk about books, and magazines, and have a word of the day, and are a reader and writer. I am too, and I feel so stifled. Although you hate blogs, I am grateful for yours, because as the internet is the only resource I have to read, I am glad you left something that spoke to me to find.

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    Sigh.

    The dream home that I built that is only ours for four more days has an orange room...the color of flames orange.

    Sigh.

    Back to my pity, party I guess. Sorry to clog up your blog with it. Just call me a blog clogger.

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger S said…

    That room sounds divine. Only -- I'd add a window seat under those long windows.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Can I come over and hang out in that room with you?

    Only you don't want a tiffany lamp for reading. My parents owned one (a real one... you don't even want to now what it cost in 1976 when they bought it at auction) and it doesn't give off much light at all, and the light is uneven, colored, and patterned. Not great for reading.

    I like color too, but our house has a lack of it on the walls. The downstairs rooms are dark sand color with glaring white trim, but the furniture brings in a lot of red colors, as does the oriental.

    I'm too lazy to paint.

    And that fabric you mentioned is probably polished cotton, which has a lovely sheen. Waverly fabrics often are used for comforters, and they do a lot of polished cotton.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger SUEB0B said…

    Oh me too. For four years I lived with the exMrStapler and for four years it was beige, moss, sand and white.

    Then I went to Mexico. Color everywhere. I knew I was close to home when I reached the yellow, magenta and purple houses all side by side.

    Then I came home. Then I moved out/

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    I couldn't stand taupe either. Ick.
    Love that painting... and the room you'll put it in one day :)

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said…

    Yep, we love the bright colors too.

    We painted our bedroom in our first house orange -- so cheery yet cozy. I loved it.

    Current house: yellow dining room, turquoise kitchen, lavender bedroom (daughter), mint green bedroom with red accents (son).

    Am dying to redo the living room -- currently a boring ivory color -- but cannot seem to find time for such a project.

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    I totally agree with you about color on walls though I doubt my color choices would be quite as vibrant as yours. When I was growing up, I remember wanting to paint my room pink. Not even a dark pink, but a nice pastel pink, but my mother wouldn't hear of it. Only white walls for her. Now I find myself aversive to all white walls. My husband and I both are all for color throughout the house, but since we are renting we have to endure taupe walls.

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh you would miss those smelly sneakers and boy things, you know you would.

    I adore Flaming June as well. Her dress is one of my favorite colors. My dream is that Candace Olsen comes in and does my entire house carte blanche while I'm away but finds a very Candice-kind-of-way to hide the sneakers.

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    orange walls make me happy too.

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    I think a rainbow house would be cool. Where each room would be a different color of the rainbow.

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger PunditMom said…

    I love that painting, too!

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Ms. Skywalker said…

    I, too, love color, and I swear I could see your dream home and feel the comfy chair as I sank into it.

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Polgara said…

    I get posters remorse too! Feel like all i do is moan but well we all know it helps sometimes!

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger crazymumma said…

    I hope this dream comes true. I am fatally attracted to taupe. But it is a horrible colour to live with.

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger Magpie said…

    The difference between a prostitute, a girlfriend, and a wife? The prostitute says "That'll be $100." The girlfriend says "Oh, baby! I love you, I love you, I love you!" The wife says "Beige. I think I'll paint the ceiling beige."

    Your intended room sounds divine.

     
  • At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your dream room sounds devine.

    Please help me convince my hubby that it's WORTH it to spend extra money to repaint a newly purchased house with newly painted walls, if only to break up the everloving monotony of pale taupe.

     
  • At 4:32 AM, Blogger Kathryn in NZ said…

    Awesome painting - love that orange of the dress.
    You might like my house: we took a deep breath when we built it and had the interior painted (all bar eldest daughter's room, which is a fab lilac) in bright clear sunshine yellow. I'm a sucker for yellow, it's my ab fav colour. Plus, the name of this paint is Happy. Which clinched it for us, cos we got a "happy" house.
    Oh, to not have to use the car every day! With you on that one.

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger XUP said…

    Is there no way that you could create a room something like this in your current home? Build a room in the basement or attic? Take over one of the bedrooms? Add a small wee cottage in your backyard? Make yourself a little oasis just for you where you can spend a few hours every day to re-group and feed your soul?

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Foofa said…

    It sounds like a beautiful room. I am ok with neutral tones but they have to be nice neutral tones that work well together. You can have neutral res, greens, yellows, etc. A house of Taupe would be crappy. Then again I live in an apartment where i can't paint so I just hang lots of bright paintings on the walls. It's thebest I can do.

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    I've never seen that picture before. Orange is my favourite colour; I love Flaming June.

    Do you remember the colour I painted our bedroom walls? It is hot mustard and I LOVE it. I can't tell you how many people see it and are like, "Oh. That's an...interesting choice for a bedroom colour. I'd have gone with something a little more...calming, myself."

    I love it. I love the passion that I feel from that colour. And when the rest of my house is filled with primary coloured toys, I want passion in my bedroom, dammit.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Part of apartment living that kills me is the lack of color."

    Oh, me too. Here in my country most people paint their walls white, for that very reason. When I was in Edinburgh I went to the coffeeshop where Harry Potter was written, The Elephant House, and it's got glorious walls, a very warm, rich, deep, dark red. The tables were bare, no tablecloths, and they were made of a dark wood that looked well used. There was an (unused) fireplace and there were books and outside the window you could see the dark roofs of Edinburgh and towering above it all the Castle. ...sigh.

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger Sensitiva McFeelingsly said…

    Husband and I just painted our living room a beautiful and deep sage green, and our kitchen (the next room over) a rich squash orange... it's intense (particularly where the walls meet) but we are so so happy with the results.

    I'm definitely with ya - color is WAY better!

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Mitzi Green said…

    i just told my husband yesterday, "we're homeOWNERS now. we no longer have to be surrounded by navajo white."

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger Random Thinker said…

    Have you observed that as you move away from the equator towards the North the colors people live with every day become more subdued? Most of the tropical countries celebrate primary colors and the notherners go for more earth tones. I suppose the climate and environment has something to do with that.

    You must have been born in a tropical country in your previous birth!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home