Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Friday, March 07, 2008

Gee Thanks, Ya'll

I don't have time for a proper post today, because Diminutive One had his V.I.P. Tea, or, what I affectionally call, "The Million Dollar Project" at school. I've been there most of the day, and now I am playing catch up.

Thankfully, Opening Ceremonies and Pre-Pubescent One's first baseball game have been cancelled due to rain. So, rather than sitting in the bleachers watching 300 kids stand there and look bored while people they don't care about give speeches, I will be sitting in my comfy chair, drinking wine, and watching all the stuff we didn't have time to watch during the week.

Anyway...I did want to take a moment to tell everyone who commented yesterday THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. I don't even know most of you, and yet you took the time say some incredibly kind, supportive, encouraging and flattering things. And you shared your own stories of delayed matriculation, which really helped. I do sort of feel like I will be the only person in my classes with stretch marks.

A few questions were asked. I will answer.

The writing group. You'll be glad to know that I was finally accepted into "Sassy Southern Writers". I know, I was stoked.

Unfortunately, for reasons unbeknownst to me, the very first meeting I was to attend, was cancelled. I assume this is due to the fact that only two members RSVP'd. That does not bode well for the future of said group.

The other group is affiliated with the University I will be attending. It turns out that they have a very extensive and comprehensive writing program, and supports a thriving community of writing professionals. That excites me beyond belief.

The reason I have not yet attended, to be quite honest, is that I am intimidated. I couldn't think of anything to validate my presence there, other than, "I like to write." I know that's silly. But it's how I feel. I guess it stems from all those years in school when I was made to feel stupid and unworthy.

But now, I have an entree, you see. I can say, loftily, "I will be attending KSU in the fall. My major? English, of course. And then I plan to persue my Master of Arts in Professional Writing."

That makes me feel good. Is that so wrong?

I don't know if they take notes on that archaic thing called paper anymore, or if I'll have to bring my laptop. I have one, but no case. Where the hell do I need to take it? The grocery store? Well, that might be handy, come to think of it. But no. It has never left my house.

I'll have to add "hip carrying case for laptop" to my list, along with 5 pairs of non-Mom jeans, 5 ridiculously tight fitting t-shirts that say things like "Juicy" on them, and a pair of fabulously cute but completely impractical shoes. I draw the line at flannel pajama bottoms though.

Also, I forgot to mention yesterday, that I have been much inspired by my friend Nina, who recently went back to school. A special thanks to her for showing me such courage and determination. Love ya babe.

9 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    You SHOULD feel good.

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger Crazed Nitwit said…

    A mom wearing a tight tshirt with Juicy on it becomes a MILF. Just thought you oughta know. Snerk. No matter what you wear you're gonna rick their socks off!!!

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger Crazed Nitwit said…

    or perhaps I mean rock their socks off....der

     
  • At 10:00 PM, Blogger Alison said…

    You don't need to feel insecure. I was in a graduate writing program and believe me, most of the students had never had as many people read their writing as you do every week. They may have had academic credentials, but trust me, they had no idea how to appeal to their readers.

     
  • At 2:03 AM, Blogger Notes and letters to myself.... said…

    Outstanding:) You are going to simply love being part of a writers group:) Good job!

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    Oh how cool is this??? I'm so excited for you. And jealous too. Can I come?

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can think of no better reason to pursue a degree in any subject than "I like to [insert subject]."

    Besides, you have just as much reason to get a higher education as anyone else.

     
  • At 2:09 AM, Blogger merinz said…

    I went to my daughters graduation some time ago and a 'middle aged' lady (younger than me!)went up on the stage to collect her degree.

    All the students clapped her madly and some shouted - 'go granny'! She laughed and waved to them all.

    It was quite touching really as they obviously loved her and she was a popular member of their year.

    The 'older' student has much to offer the younger ones!

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    Any reason to ditch the mom jeans is a good reason!

    Yee haw, I think you are going to have a blast at this whole school thing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home