Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Sound Of Music

Well, my last two posts have been kind of deep and philosophical, so enough of that crap.

I need help.

I am in desperate need of some new music, you see.

I have an addictive personality; it's just part of my genetic make-up. So when I find a thing that I like, I indulge my penchant for that thing wholeheartedly.

With certain things, this can be quite beneficial. Being addicted to books is a good thing. Caramel Machiatos? Not so much. It's just a crying shame that I have not been able to foster an addiction to exercise or sex or housework.

The problem is, that after a prolonged period of complete and total saturation, that thing becomes so tedious and tiresome that I have to abandon it altogether.

Such is the case with my current iTunes playlist. Once, I played it so often that my offspring would roll their eyes and plead with me to play something, anything different. Now, it makes me want to clap my hands over my ears. I literally cannot stand to listen to it one more time.

Alas, even my beloved Mika has become wearisome. I wish he would come out with his new album (do we still call them that, even though albums are obsolete?) already.

So I've been browsing. But damned if I can find anything that really moves me. All the toplists seem to be full of hip hop garbage, R&B, and teenyboppers. I don't mind bubblegum, but I absolutely cannot abide rap. And it is dominating the top 40.

Even Madonna has succumbed to this cacophonous musical trend. Frankly, "4 minutes" is about three minutes and 58 seconds too long.

Who the hell is Timbaland and why does he think he belongs on the Billboard Top 100? Why does anybody? And Justin Timberlake? Puh-leez. WHY is he so popular? He's not awful, but he is lamentably mediocre.

I don't know...it just all seems so....done. Nothing new, nothing original, nothing inspiring.

After nearly a week of prowling iTunes, Yahoo, Billboard, and Amazon for ideas, I have found a grand total of 5 songs:

Bleeding Love, by Leona Lewis
When You Were Young, by the Killers
Hey There Delilah, by the Plain White T's
Pocketful of Sunshine, by Natasha Bedingfield
I Don't Wanna Be, by Gaving DeGraw (not new, but I like it and didn't have it)

So. I need suggestions. My taste is fairly eclectic, so don't judge by the above selections. Those are just a couple things that caught my ear. I generally prefer more upbeat stuff, but that's not a hard and fast rule.

Basically, if you like it, I want to hear about it. Unless you're a hip hop/rap fan, in which case, we need to strap you down and subject you to a steady stream of Neil Diamond music until you are sufficiently deprogrammed.

On a related note...my oldest son is cracking me up with his latest musical "finds". The other day he came to me, iPod in hand, and exhorted me to listen to his newest downloads.

"These songs are so COOL." he enthused.

I put the earphones in, prepared to underwhelmed. Often I enjoy his musical discoveries, (he did turn me onto The Killers) but lately his tastes have become much heavier, and sometimes a little too "Shout At The Devil" for my aging ears.

To my surprise, this is what he had downloaded:

Cherry Pie, by Warrant
Cult of Personality, by Living Color
One, by Metallica
Sweet Child of Mine, Guns N' Roses

I laughed.

"Dude...Cherry Pie is so 1987! ALL of that stuff is! I listened to every one of these songs in high school."

"What??" he said indignantly, "You did not!"

"Did so. Google 'em."

He was aghast. But that's what happens when one get one's music selections from Guitar Hero. He took my advice and turned to Monsieur Google, only to find that almost all of his new favorites were 20-25 years old.

"That just means they're classics." said Husband. "They will always rock because they can stand the test of time."

Speaking of classics, did I happen to mention that in 9 days, we will be going to see the Eagles in concert? Yes. THE Eagles.

Husband got a nice bonus not long ago, and dutifully put a substantial portion into one of several investment vehicles we have. But then he spent a ridiculous amount of money on a 50 inch flat screen plasma television. And, then he decided to fulfill his nearly lifelong dream of seeing the Eagles in concert.

All that was fine with me. The man never buys himself anything. I have to be stealth personified if I want to dispose of his holey underwear.

The day, nay, the second, that the tickets went on sale, he was at his computer, credit card in hand. It was touch and go for a while. Those seats were going FAST and every time he pushed submit, his request timed out due to the heavy traffic. But, by sheer luck, just seconds before he processed what he declared to be his very last attempt, they opened a second show, and he scored us some sa-WEET seats.

They were ridiculously expensive and Husband suffered a pretty good case of buyer's remorse afterwards, thinking about all the other things we could have and should have done with the money.

BUT....you see, we are taking the boys, and what we have bought are not merely concert tickets, but memories. Diminutive One will someday be able to say that the first concert he ever saw was The Eagles.

How cool is that??

My first concert was the Violent Femmes. Cool music no doubt, but not legendary.

Anyway, enough rambling. Help a musically bereft sister out here. Pretty please?

41 Comments:

  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Tania said…

    I'm looking forward to seeing the advice that you get here. I'm in musical limbo myself.

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Alison said…

    I'm afraid I'm not much help either. Most of the music on my iPod is either big band, chilled-out (like Coldplay or John Mayer), or 80s rock that I work out to (like your son's "new" discoveries.) I like the songs you downloaded, though.

    Maybe Alicia Keyes' latest or Sara Bareilles would appeal to you?

    Too bad David Cook's album isn't out yet!

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you haven't already, you could sign up for a service like Last.FM or Pandora. With Pandora, basically, you type in a few songs you like and it streams recommendations based on those.

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Cathy Burke said…

    Love the Eagles!! Good for you. And the Violent Femmes!! That so takes me back to college-I have got to find that cassette tape!!

    My Ipod is filled with music from the seventies till about five years ago and when I am walking and have it on alphabetical it is like a time warp. Sometimes the best new music is old music-like "classic' rock. Can't go wrong with Tom Petty or U2 or The Police. Or stuff from the eighties that was "new age". I still think of stuff like The English Beat or Crowded House or Squeeze as "cool" music.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Momster said…

    Theory of a Deadman's Scars and Souvenirs is my current fav. Before that is was Velvet Revolver, formerly known as Stone Temple Pilots, currently reuniting. Some of the 80's stuff is also a current fav of mine. Remember Missing Persons? Words is on my blog from last Wednesday. I just bought their Best of Album (CD). I wonder too if they are still called that?? My kids are shocked when I say "I have that tape." That's from the EIGHTIES!! They roll their eyes at me a lot. Sorry I wasn't much help. Good luck in your search for what makes you want to tap your toes!

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's certainly not new, but check out The Soft Bulletin by the Flaming Lips. Their other albums are hit or miss, but this one is great. Another suggestion - There's Nothing Wrong With Love by Built to Spill.

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Mitzi Green said…

    my first concert? inxs. and my idea of "buying new music" is "downloading really old shit i used to have on cassette."

    i think every generation finds novelty in their parents' generation of music. i remember how pissed my parents got when i stole all their janis, beatles and jefferson airplane lp's and claimed them as my own...

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    When I get in a rut I always turn to the oldies but goodies. And podcasts, I'm addicted to those.

    My favorite album from last year was the "Once" soundtrack. I play that to death. And I love the most recent Foo Fighters album. Other than that, my taste tends to run pretty mellow. Amos Lee? He's got a nice mellow southern groove.

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger All Things BD said…

    Here are my recent downloads, for what it's worth:

    "Falling or Flying" Grace Potter
    iTunes Originals 3 Doors Down
    "Never Too Late" Three Days Grace
    "One Sweet Love" Sara Bareilles
    "Battle" Colbie Caillat
    "Burgundy Shoes" Patty Griffin
    "The Fear You Won't Fall" Joshua Radin
    Mute Math the entire CD is great
    "One Year, Six Months" Yellowcard

    A lot of that isn't uptempo, but there it is. Happy listening!

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    electric- tristan prettyman
    anything by bell x1
    massive attack
    rob thomas
    bebel gilberto

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm all about finding artists that no one has ever heard of, and I love turning folks on to new stuff. Here's one of my favs:

    http://cdbaby.com/cd/imnotsally

    :-D Love your blog!

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger KT said…

    You can't beat the Barenaked Ladies. And they are just flipping funning in concert.

    For a new BNL fan you should try "One Week", "If I had a Million Dollars", "Jane"...

    Some of my faves are "Alternative Girlfriend," "get in line", "king of bedside manor", "Enid"

    Well..shoot, I am going to list all their stuff. Check it out. I promise, you will not be disappointed.

    My first concert was The Cure..back in "the day". Then INXS. What about INXS? Download some.

    Good luck.

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Notes and letters to myself.... said…

    I am totally all over the map -- so here we go: (and yes you can go ewwwwww)

    This is what's on my newest rotation:

    Anything by Steve Miller
    Walk This Way AC/DC
    Per Averti Adriano Celentano
    Lago Rosso Adriano Celentano
    Big Ten Inch Record Aerosmith
    Underneath - Alanis Morissette
    Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
    Rehab - Amy Winehouse ( I can listen to her as long as I don't think about what she looks like.)
    Love Shack - B-52's
    One Week - Barenaked Ladies
    The Luckiest - Ben Folds
    My Humps - Black Eyed Peas
    Break Anotha - Blake Lewis
    You Give Love A Bad Name - Blake Lewis
    Her Strut - Bog Segar
    Piece of Me - B. Spears
    Wanted Dead or Alive - Chris Daughtry
    Billy Jean - David Cook
    Don't Fade Away - Dead Can Dance
    Life's Been Good -- Joe Walsh
    Change the World - Clapton
    Cocaine - Clapton
    I Want Your Sex - George (Jerkmeoffinpublic) Michaels
    I Just Wanna Be With You -Hootie and the Blowfish
    Power of Two - Indigo Girls
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwoo'le
    Breakdown - Jack Johnson
    Bubble Toes - Jack Johnson
    Sexy Back - Justin Timberlake
    My Boogie Shoes - KC and the Sunshine Band
    Black Dog - Zepplin
    Everything - Michael Buble
    Anything By Queen:):)
    The soundtrack of Rocky Horror Picture Show:)
    Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
    Runnin With The Devil - Van Halen

    That's just scratching my surface:)

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Lara said…

    recent favorites for me include "realize" by colbie caillat, "say" by john mayer, and "hollywood's not america" by ferras. none of those are really "upbeat" though, so take them with that in mind. :)

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Heh...I didn't even know Mute Math until I went to a Matchbox 20 concert, and they were the opening act. They were just ok, in my opinion.

    I love Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20. Rob Thomas's "Streetcorner Symphony" is a great boppy upbeat tune, and I love Matchbox 20's new album, especially the song "Let's See How Far We've Come".

    Some others that I like:

    Paralyzer by Finger Eleven
    Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol
    Accidentally in Love by Counting Crows
    Walking on the Sun by Smashmouth
    I Only Wanna Be With You by Samantha Fox
    Paradise by the Dashboard Light, Meatloaf! Also 2 Out Of Three Ain't Bad.

    I love most of what West Coast Diva has up there, and love the Eagles too.

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    I would not usually be one for giving suggestions for new music as I am typically way out of the loop.
    But a group I discovered not long ago was a Canadian group called The Be Good Tanyas. Wikipedia classifies them as "alt-country" or "new grass." I'm not a big fan of traditional bluegrass or country music, but I love The Be Good Tanyas' folksy/bluegrassy/bluesy sound.

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger Woman in a Window said…

    Try: Snow Patrol, Dave Matthews, Cat Power, REGINA SPECTOR for real flavour, Patrick Watson and ya, I hate to admit it 'cause I don't really want to share it but "The Luckiest" by Ben's Fold is what I consider the newest best love song. Try it! Everybody's doing it! You'll like it!

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Kathryn in NZ said…

    There's a new Neil Diamond album out I think.....

    and you could always try some music from down my way:
    Split Enz
    Crowded House
    Th'Dudes
    Hello Sailor
    Dragon
    Icehouse
    Midnight Oil
    Cold Chisel/ Jimmy Barnes

    and how about something really out there??
    Bjork - I love her "sssh" and "all is love"
    My girls have been brought up to love:
    Queen
    Pink Floyd
    Jean Michel Jarre
    The Who
    Red Hot Chillie Peppers
    White Stripes
    Byrd
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood
    George Thorogood
    Tallis
    Mozart

    Have fun!!
    Bach

     
  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said…

    Ahhh...music.My daughter is all about top 40 so I hear that (not listen mind you) but hear it The girlfriend is all about the 80s, always quizzing me about groups and titles. Me? I can usually be found hanging out in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Though I've heard and enjoyed tunes from most every era and many genres that have appealed. Some greatly.

    It is very cool that the boys will see the Eagles. Very cool.

     
  • At 11:51 PM, Blogger Avalon said…

    Obscure but fantastic: The Getaway People. If you don't love them, I'll fall over dead.

     
  • At 12:00 AM, Blogger Stefanie said…

    I completely agree with The Getaway People suggestion. Also, check out James Morrison. I can't pick just one song because everything I've heard by him, I love.

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    Hmmm. My musical tastes are all over the map, but here are a few names I really like -

    Pete Yorn
    Sam Roberts
    The Strokes
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (specifically Stadium Arcadium; it's a double album and it's really great)
    Lily Allen
    Arcade Fire
    Queens of the Stone Age

     
  • At 7:07 AM, Blogger Mental P Mama said…

    Radiohead. Some is out there, but I am addicted.

    Also,
    The Hank Dogs
    Emmylou Harris
    Lucinda Williams
    Alexi Murdoch
    Ben Harper
    Gomez
    Ray La Montagne

    All are great. Give them a try.

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger The Woman Formerly Known as Jenn said…

    I second the suggestion of Pandora.com. Super easy to use; just type in some of the bands you like and it streams similar music which you can then give a thumbs up or down. I've been listening to it for a few days now and have discovered bands I had never heard of but really love :-). Have fun!

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Green-Eyed Momster said…

    Three Doors Down-It's Not My Time and Alterbridge, Maroon 5, Evanescence, Flyleaf and Nickleback. Best of luck!

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    You've gotten tons of good suggestions and as always I'm behind. ;)

    I thought just in case you're still looking, I'd throw some ideas at you.

    Some of my favorite artists, the ones I can listen to ANYthing they sing over and over and not get sick of it (which is rare and unusual) are:
    Ingrid Michaelson (specifically "The Way I Am")
    Snow Patrol (specifically "Set Fire to the Third Bar")
    Josh Radin (everything!)
    Brett Dennen (I forget my favorite)
    Death Cab for Cutie (crappy name but great musicians, IMO!)

    I also like Zach Braff's soundtrack compliations. It introduces me to new bands that I might not otherwise have heard of. His best one is the Garden State soundtrack.

    If you like Beatles remakes (?) check out the Across the Universe soundtrack.

    I'm big on soundtracks because of the boredom I experience listening to the same singer over and over (with the exception of the ones I listed above!)

    Hope you find some great stuff! I am anxious to hear what you like of all your suggestions... should you care to share. :)

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Vampire Weekend
    Counting Crows have a new CD
    Groove Armada
    Phantom Planet
    Liam Finn
    Mat Kearney
    Matt Nathanson
    Voxtrot
    Matt Pond PA
    Belle and Sebastian
    Phoenix
    Eric Hutchinson
    John Legend

    I have children in college and they keep me informed.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger josetteplank.com said…

    Try these
    (Artist, Song)

    Kate Nash, Pumpkin Soup
    MGMT, Kids
    David White, Crash Into The Sun
    Tami Tappan Damiano, Hit Me With A Hot Note
    The Wiseguys, Start The Commotion
    Curtis Mayfield, Move On Up
    Lamb, All In Your Hands
    Jet, Are You Gonna Be My Girl
    Badly Drawn Boy, The Shining, Born Again

    That mix should get you started on a personality crisis, lol.

    And yes, Eagles as a first concert? Classic!

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger josetteplank.com said…

    And I second Lily Allen and Belle and Sebastian

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kat Edmonson - Be The Change

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Artist: Duffy
    Song: mercy

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Foofa said…

    Here are some artists/albums that I think are the epitome of happy, singable, bopable, wonderful glory.

    of Montreal- If the Beatles met Madonna you would have of Montreal. CHeck out "The Sunlandic Twins" and "Hissing Fauna Are You The Destroyer"

    Jamie Lidell- What happens when you take a nice English Boy and inject him with a love of disco/techno/soul and give him the voice of an Al Green/Sam Cooke love child? You get an absolutely wonderful musician. He has a old school soul sound but mixes in modern beats and gives things a very current funky flavor. I have turned MANY people on to him and they have all loved me for it.

    Someone mentioned Belle and Sebastian and I can't suggest them enough I am particularly in love with "The Boy With The Arab Strap" and "If You're Feeling Sinister" but you can't go wrong with them. Another suggestion I totally applaud is Badly Drawn Boy and throw The Beta Band in there too.

    The Apples In Stereo- Sadly I can't remember the album that I love but the first song on it is "Go" I don't know what to say but WONDERFUL.

    Man Man- Gypsy music mixed with a gravely voice and insane wonderful beats chased by a shot of whimsy. They are a little different but tons of fun.

    Iron and Wine- BEautiful melodious voice, folkish sound, hauntingly beautiful lyrics. My favorite album is "Our Endless Numbered Days" What a title.

    Ok, I could go on forever but this comment is quite long. My best friend is a music reviewer so I get a lot of random stuff sent my way. I have certainly tried to take the bands you have listed into consideration as well as your general good sense. I also agree that Pandora may be a good option for you. Also check the artists out on myspace music (you don't have to register to listen to samples) and freenapster (it is free and legal you can listen but not download). I hope you find what you are looking for.

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger Creative-Type Dad said…

    I'm laughing here, you sounds like me. I just don't get the "top 40" stuff - it's all just plain generic to me and it all sounds the same.

    Eagles - how cool is that?

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't know if you know but Gavin DeGraw has a new one called "In Love With a Girl" that you might like.

    Also Jon Mayer (or maybe it's Jason Mraz) has a new one, too, that delights my ear, but I don't know what it's called.

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Based on a couple of the songs you like, you might check out the soundtrack for Dan In Real Life - great music!!!

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Sensitiva McFeelingsly said…

    Andrew Bird.

    He's truly an artist, and his music is wonderful. My favorite albums are "Armchair Apocrypha" and "The Mysterious Production of Eggs."

    I have also been totally into Vampire Weekend. They are totally upbeat and fun - I think from your list in the post that you would really dig their style. :) Your boys would probably like it too!!

    Good luck! Adding music to your life is one of the most rewarding things!

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    Some stuff that's been on heavy rotation with me lately:

    New Soul - Yael Naim
    Girls In Their Summer Clothes - Bruce Springsteen
    1,2,3,4 - Feist
    The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson
    Ponyboy - Springsteen
    Don't You Evah - Spoon
    Love Song - Sara Barielles

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You might give Josh Ritter a shot if you haven't. Historical Conquests of... is excellent. NPR is all, "Woo, next Bob Dylan, next Bob Dylan," but it's just a good and accessible record.

    I'd also recommend Eilen Jewell, Boundary County or Letters From Sinners and Strangers (her latest).

    Nina Nastasia's The Blackened Air isn't new but damn it holds up.

    And Neko Case's Blacklisted.

    OH! And Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings! 100 Days, 100 Nights. Give that one a shot too.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    Right now, I can't get enough of The Fratellis. And, I third(?) Lily Allen and her potty mouth.

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anything by Kristin Hersh is a winner for me - check her out at throwingmusic.com

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger anne said…

    I am going to second the Be Good Tanyas. I have not heard anything from them that I didn't love to death.

    Also, Po' Girl. They are IT!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home