Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Vindication

We watched "Charlie Wilson's War" this past weekend.

If you haven't seen it, do. It was an excellent movie. But then, I love Tom Hanks.

And I love Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I have a thing for quirky, intelligent, brash and ballsy men. I found him oddly sexy in Charlie Wilson's War, but I would totally have sex with him on given day, in any characterization.

Well, with the possible exception of Truman Capote. The man was brilliant, but unabashedly homosexual. And really, really short.

Here is Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Charlie Wilson's War" as Gust Avrokotos.




I know, that's a little disconcerting, but as I said, I have thing for quirky men. I would totally have sex with Tim Curry too. But only dressed as Frank.




Julie Roberts as an actress is just "meh" for me, and I have trouble listening to her atrocious Southern accent.

But here, she proves herself useful.

Watch what she does at :38.



Did you see? Did you?

Joanne Herring is obviously a woman of class, intelligence, principle and resourcefulness. She is someone we can all admire. So I find myself in fine company; that of otherwise intelligent women who do hopelessly stupid things in the name of vanity.

Ha.

26 Comments:

  • At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bahahaha!

    That's fantastic!

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger Pgoodness said…

    LOL. That's great!! I, too, love Tom Hanks and will certainly have to check this movie out.

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hahahaha, that's funny! I'd never even thought of that before you wrote that the other day.
    Lisbeth

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger Kathryn in NZ said…

    Tom Hanks is cool - along with Kevin Bacon. And dare I say it, Richard Dean Anderson...

    I'm a sad sad lady, I know

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger S said…

    thanks for your review! i like hoffman, too -- but you're right, he's not so sexy as capote, LOL!

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger S said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    I loved this movie. PSH was totally hot. that whole scene in the office? brilliant.

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Mama Smurf said…

    Hoffman????!!!! EEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

    I wonder if Julia poked her eyeball during shooting the takes.

    I'll have to go check this movie out...haven't seen it yet. But I'm a huge Tom Hanks fan.

    and again...Hoffman???!! EEEEWWWWW!!

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    Holy Moly! Had I not read your blog, I'd NEVER believe people did this! LOL.

    I dig that Tim Curry too.

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger All Things BD said…

    That is so awesome. I'd never heard of doing that until you posted your trauma and now to see it in a movie.

    I rented this flick just yesterday and have it queued up for the hubs and I to watch tonight.

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    how about me loving christopher walken? hmmm hmmmmm?!?!?!

    I used to do that with my lashes, too. Notice I said used to.

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Blogger Tania said…

    I knew I'd seen that trick somewhere before. I didn't see her poke her eye out though ;)

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    When I read that you do this, and the subsequent eye poke, I kinda rolled my own eyes and though "well, she's a idjit for putting a safety pin near her eyes." And then yesterday I poked myself in the eye with my fingernail and it still hurts. So who is the idjit now?

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Blogger jean said…

    Ouch. I still can't believe it. Proof that others do it too. My eyes are tearing at just the thought of poking my eyeball out.

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger SUEB0B said…

    It makes me cringe just to think of it...but I am abnormally clumsy.

     
  • At 11:36 PM, Blogger Notes and letters to myself.... said…

    I use a safety pin to separate my eye lashes after I apply mine:)

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger ninjapoodles said…

    You mean everyone doesn't do that?

     
  • At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just goes to show - intelligence and common sense are two very different things! ;-))

    I have to admit now that I am curious - I've just always used an eyelash comb - wonder if the pin works better?!?!

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    Love your movie reviews!!

    I, too, would definitely not balk at finding myself in an intimate situation with Phillip. I especially loved him in Boogie Nights :) I haven't seen Charlie Wilson's War but have been wanting to!

    I'm glad to know it won't be a waste of my time...

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Maddy said…

    I thought nappy pins use was restricted to another part of the anatomy!
    Cheers

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger sltbee69 said…

    Tim Curry I can understand but PSH?!?! Really? Well, I guess you'd probably say the same for me thinking Jack Black is hot. I think everyone has a secret shameful crush.LOL!

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger chesley said…

    I saw her on Oprah promoting the movie some time ago, and apparently that wasn't even in the script. It's something she actually used to do and her makeup artist or someone had the idea for her to do it in the movie when they were shooting.

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Momster said…

    I want to see that movie! I hope I get to see it before it comes out on DVD. It isn't out on DVD yet is it? Anyway, this was a great post and I was just thinking about Frank yesterday. Funny, huh?

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said…

    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

    I was going to watch it anyway, now I'll enjoy it all the more.


    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ouch.

     
  • At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    >gasp!< - I cringed, imagining that, when I read it in your earlier post (what she does at 0:38), but actually SEEING it? Uck!

    (sorry!) :-)

     
  • At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, ok, so I sat there watching Julia, watching her, thinking what could BA be so excited about? Is is some sort of clever head nod, some eyebrow voodoo? I was looking for any minute clue of what she would do at :38. Then - the whole mascara thing! By all things holy if she didn't pick up a pin - but not any old pin. A HUGE diaper pin. I almost shat myself. I guess it's what all the glamourpusses do!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home