Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Cuddle Up A Little Closer

Today, at 7:30 a.m., my Pre-Pubescent One turned 13. I find myself completely befuddled as to how thirteen years flew by so quickly.

I'm not going to write one of those sappy posts about how my little boy is turning into a man. Not to spare you from the treacle of my sentiments, but to prevent myself from turning into a weepy Wilma. I find that I am ridiculously emotional today.

Birthdays don't usually affect me this way, but this birthday is a big milestone. He's a teenager now. And once, his adulthood seemed so very far in the future. But suddenly, it is just a few short years away.

In three years he will be driving.

In five years, he will graduate high school.

And from there, the leaving begins.

He will leave for college. He will leave home to move into his first apartment. He will leave me for another woman. He may leave the town, the state, or even the country of his birth. He will leave behind the identity that we have helped him build and become a new person away from our watchful eyes. He will leave the protective cover of my outstretched wing, and venture out into the world.

I don't want to think about it.

I want to think about him snuggled up in the rocker with his head on my shoulder. I want to think about the squick squick sounds as he sucked his thumb, and the way he used to hum around it while I sang to him.

Cuddle up a little closer, lovey mine. Cuddle up and be my little clinging vine. Those are the words I sang once upon a time. But it doesn't take long for the little clinging vine to grow into a creeping one. And then what?

I don't know. I'm all out of metaphors, botanical or otherwise. What I do know is that it happened way too fast. And the next five years are going to go by faster still.

SIGH. So much for not getting sappy and emotional.



Happy Birthday....Pubescent One

21 Comments:

  • At 7:19 AM, Blogger Avalon said…

    Oh, such a day to be sentimental. Happiest of birthdays Pubescent One. You are a lucky young man indeed!

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now you're making me sentimental!

    Happy Birthday Pubescent One.

    That's going to take some getting used to...

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are rapidly approaching the graduating HS for my son. Scary, scary stuff. The process of getting into college these days has turned to marketing.....

    - Networking with schools and alumni
    - Visits, visits and more visits
    - Having the right "other" activities that makes you a well rounded person
    - Good grades and test scores
    - Applications that are about 30 pages long
    - 18 bazillion financial aid and scholarship forms

    It's enough to say forget kid, I will support you the rest of my life so I don't have to endure this crap.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can so relate. My oldest will be graduating from COLLEGE in a few weeks, has his first full-time job in the real world, and is moving to ANOTHER STATE! His dad also told me that he was thinking of asking her girlfriend to get MARRIED! This is too much too fast for my momma heart!

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    Oh, the dropping of the "Pre".

    *sigh*

    Happy Birthday to Pubescent One.

    And Happy Birth Day to you.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Alison said…

    When people used to tell me "they grow up so fast," I thought they meant in hindsight. Then I found out it happens fast while it's happening.

    Happy birthday to Pubescent One.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy birthday!

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said…

    Ahhh teenage hood, what a glorious, glorious time. ;) Seriously, frustrations with certain processes and melancholy aside, witnessing the marvelous transformations he will undergo in the next few years will rank among your most favorite times.

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    A fellow Taurus. A good man-child.

    Happy birthday, all.

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger Day Dreamer said…

    Dangit. Now I'm weepywilma.

    I knew when he was a baby that he'd grow fast, that those moments were fleeting... But he didn't have to go and prove me right and even faster than I imagined. (Hes still under ten, but he was in diapers two days ago!)

    I have two babies born in this month. It's a great stubborn month! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! (And happy birthday to you too!)

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Mental P Mama said…

    My twins are about to finish their junior year...and all the college search activity has kept me busy enough to keep from constant weeping. This post brings it all home. It is a true blessing to know how to enjoy what we have when we have it. You are blessed! Happy Birthday to the mama.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Amie Adams said…

    I'm already having this problem of missing their baby ways and my youngest is still four. I'm going to be no good as they turn into teenagers.

     
  • At 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sniff. I think you know I understand exactly where you're coming from. Sigh.

    Happy birthday Pre-Pubescent One. Erm...Pubescent One.

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Blogger Terri said…

    My oldest will be ten on her next birthday and I'm bemoaning her step into the double digit years. I'm not even going to think about the teen years shortly to follow.

    By the way, as a former English teacher, I thought the word "squick" was excellent use of onomatopoeia.

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    Happy birthday to the birthday boy!!

    Or is it young man?

    He'll always be your baby, BA.

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Ok, Where Was I? said…

    I'm teary! What a great post.

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Laura is 11 and already it feels as if I am digging my heels in and finding myself dragged toward her adulthood. It's so much more difficult to deal with than I thought it would be.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    13... WOW.
    I can't imagine imagine what this feels like for you... I know PPO is probably tickled pink ~ er, blue. :) I couldn't wait to be a teenager...

    Hope you all enjoyed the birthday/parent~versary!

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Woman in a Window said…

    What reserves must you have to think up links like this. Brilliant. Only if our pin-up girls were still like this innocent beauty...Oh, this crazy ride we're on as parents.

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger kevin black said…

    I hate to be the one to break it to you, but he likely is no longer pre-pubescent.

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    Ooch, my heart hurts for you. Happy Birthday to your little man.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home