Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

It's All About Meme

Antique Mommy who is one of my favorite bloggers ever, tagged me for a Meme, and thank God she did, because I'm having a little bit of bloggers remorse for my Sexy Back post. I need to get that thing off the top of my blog, but I don't really have anything profound to say because my brain is clouded by lust. Now I know how adolescent boys feel.

So, I'm supposed to list 6 unimportant things about myself. Piece O'Cake. But...one of them is not true. You guess, leave your guess in my comments.

I'll reveal the correct answer on Monday.

I'm going to follow in Antique Mommy's footsteps and offer a prize to the winner, whom I will choose randomly from those who guessed correctly. The prize will be a copy of "Running With Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs.

So, here we go:

BTW, yes, there are only five. I had six, but deleted one to reword it and then forgot to reword it. So, we'll stick with five. I never was very good at following the rules.

1. I have 3 cats.

They are a matched set. They are all orange tabbies, they are all male, and they all have human names rather than typical pet names: Chester, Leo, and Bo.

2. My middle name is Wilhelmina.

My maternal great grandmother's name was Wilhelmina Ernestina Steinberg. My mother wanted to give me a family name, but didn't want to burden me with such an unusual first name since I would be saddled with a last name that would lend itself to grievous teasing, as it was disoncertingly similar to a certain male appendage. She thought that Wilhelmina sounded good with the name she did choose as my first name. No, I'm not going to tell you what my first name is. A very few of you know...don't spill the beans.

3. Before I had Lasik surgery, I was legally blind.

The vision in my "bad" eye was 20/1100. The left was marginally better at 20/900. This is just a guesstimate, as it's difficult to quantify when eyesight is as bad as mine. I had to put my glasses on simply to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. After Lasik, my vision is 20/25 in the bad eye, 20/20 in the good eye. I could have the "bad" eye corrected at no additional cost, but I have decided not to.

4. My wedding dress has never been worn.

Because of a snafu on the part of the seamstress, the wrong dress was delivered to the church. The seamstress went to visit her family in Columbia leaving my dress safely locked in her home. I had to wear a store demo dress down the aisle. I did get my own dress, along with a full refund.

5. All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth.

In third grade, I had my front two teeth knocked out by a schoolyard bully. They were my adult teeth, and as a result, my two front teeth are bonded. Since they were put in when I was 15, they are very worn and badly need to be replaced. I am very self-conscious about the way they look.

I'm supposed to tag six other bloggers. I'm going to choose six that I think are really great bloggers, but are relatively unknown. You don't have to do the prize thing if you don't want to. I just happened to have something on hand to offer and it's not really all that generous of me since I didn't like the book anyway.

So I tag:

Drowning Pisces - She is a great writer and a really sweet person. She's a lesbian, and just happens to be dating one of my dearest friends. She has been incredibly open and honest both with me and the blogging community about her sexuality.

Baronness VonBloggenschtern - She recently got a luke-warm review from a blog review site, which chastised her for her sense of humor. But I think she's wonderfully quirky and I love her wit.

Reality Testing - Angela is a teacher and has a lot of terriffic insight into the education system, as well as perspective for those of us who don't know what it's like to be in the trenches everyday.

Almost Quintessence - Anne is just a good egg, and I'm totally jealous of her life, although I wouldn't be good at it all since I am way too lazy and I don't like to get dirty. I love reading about her exploits on the farm.

Cocktails With Kevin - He is so dry he makes me pucker. I love his sarcasm. The first post I ever read of his was "Search for Interesting Blogs Yields Few Results". I was hooked immediately.

Middle Girl - I actually met her in person before I read her blog. She is a friend of my friend Nina, and she had dinner with us in Chicago last summer, where a group of us met for a girls' weekend. She was a wonderful conversationalist and I thoroughly enjoyed her company.

So there you go. Let the guessing begin!

20 Comments:

  • At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was going to vote number one, but then I remembered something. So I vote for number two instead.

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Tela said…

    OK, so it says you are supposed to list six things, but I only see five, so is this a trick and the untrue thing is number six, because it doesn't exsist?

    With this comment and the one about DO or PPO pitching, I'm starting to feel like your blog police. I'm really not that picky.

    Don't hate me! You probably do, it's OK.

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger S said…

    number two.

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger merinz said…

    number two also.

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would guess #6 since it's missing, but I'll go with #3 simply because it sounds so true. There's logic for ya!

     
  • At 2:53 AM, Blogger flutter said…

    I love knowing more about you. I will say #5

     
  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Number 2. You explained yourself far too much there. (That's my logic anyhow!)

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know you from Adam but I say number 5. :-)

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    BTW, I don't think you should feel self conscious about your Sexy post. I thought it was great! Very honest and definitely food for thought! I enjoyed it very much!

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger anne said…

    Hmmmmm..... I'm going to guess #4.

    And thanks for the tag (I need a kick in the pants to get a post up) and the nice comment. By the way, I am sitting here covered in dirt and goat poop - shearing day, you know - and just wanted a quick fix of a good read on my way to the shower.

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    I'm going with number two also.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    BA - thanks for the tag, and for the kind words.

    If you didn't like Running w/Scissors - have you tried Sellovision? It's Hilarious! And I just finished reading a book/memoir by Augusten's older brother John Elder Robinson called "Look Me In The Eye" - he's an amazing fellow; discovered relatively late in life that he's got Aspberger's Syndrome. It was fascinating to read about how he coped with an undiagnosed condition all through his childhood, and what it was like for him. V. illuminating!

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger Forever In Blue Jeans said…

    Egads...I'll go with door #2! ... and thanks for the tag, the mention.. and the very sweet words.

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    Going with #2. . .

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger Avalon said…

    I'm going with the wedding dress. Just seems right.

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    #2. You've told some of those other stories and I remember all of them except hearing your middle name. Process of elimination.

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm guessing that you are not a cat person. And that your real name is Jane Wilhelmina Weenis.

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've no idea which ones are true, but did you know that ginger tabbies are pretty much always male? Genetics, ya know...

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Antique Mommy said…

    Veronic cracks me up. I'm kinda thinking you're not a cat person, are you Betty Wilhelmina Schwetty?

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said…

    First, thanks ever so for the -shout out! Yay for you!

    Second, hmmm..which is not true? They all sound so...oddly doable. I would pick (2) but that is a very popular pick, I shun popular. So I will choose (3). I don't recall if anyone chose 3 and it's probably true, but thar ya go...(3).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home