Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Nostalgia

A person can get lost in nostalgia on YouTube. A lot of you are probably too young to remember this, but it was one of my most favorite Sesame Street vignettes.

How I longed for a dollhouse like that, and dollies having tea on teeny tiny cups and plates, in a kitchen with teeny tiny pots and pans. How I would have loved to tuck them into teeny tiny beds with teeny tiny blankets.



And let's not forget the hipper, more happenin' Electric Compnay. I think, after Shaun Cassidy, Easy Reader was my earliest crush. He was one cool cat. I think even a seven year old can recognize sex-ay when she sees it. I would still do Morgan sideways.



Did I ever tell you I had an imaginary friend named Luis? I did. And it doesn't take much to figure out where that came from. Thank God he and Maria didn't get married until I was in high school. I don't think I could have survived the heartache.

Anyway...there's some nostalgia for you. Don't go down the rabbit hole that is YouTube. You'll never escape.

13 Comments:

  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    what, did someone mention shawn cassidy? and he's on youtube?

    must go now and find him.

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OH my! Thanks for that! I loved the dollhouse too. My husband got me the entire Electric Company on DVD, and the sad part is that some of my young Mom friends had never heard of the show!
    I, too have been hitting youtube for nostalgia...after trying to explain to my 9 year old who Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans were.
    Amy in WI

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Shelley Jaffe said…

    Ooh, Mamma! That Easy Reader was a stone cold FOX! I used to groove on the EC, but I was more of a dyed-in-the-wool Streetist. My favorite was the baker who used to do the numbers (7 pecan pies...) (and then trip down the stairs). In retrospect, I'm sorry he tripped - but it was so-o-o-o funny! Thanks for the flashback. You rock the party.

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I haven't even read your post yet - but I LOVED that doll house. It was my favorite thing to see on Sesame Street. I just listened to it and I knew all the words.

    Ah, now back to the post.

     
  • At 7:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I admit Electric Company was before my time, so I'd never really seen it before.

    BUT I do remember that Sesame Street clip - they would reuse many of those types of things over the years (we just rented the pilot & I saw cartoons I recognized). I did love that dollhouse!

     
  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    I vaguely remember that Sesame Street clip.

    WOAH.

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Tania said…

    Sadly, I am not too young to remember that clip. Fortunately, seeing it again gave me a great, big smile, especially hearing the song. I wasn't one for playing with dolls, but I loved when the cats came crashing in.

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    I knew what clip you were talking about before I even saw it. "One, Two". Gosh, I l-o-v-e-d that little song and the kittens running through the doll house.

    Thank goodness stuff like that is still on the internet. There is a lot of garbage out there, but plenty of gems as well.

     
  • At 3:06 AM, Blogger Kathryn in NZ said…

    We had Sesame St down here but never saw that segment. Have four cats here that would do exactly that to the dollshouse though...
    I always loved when they painted on the glass, oh and the Count, and Oscar and and
    LOL

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    I remember that SS clip! My little one loves her dolly house, too. I always wanted one when I was little, so I had to indulge her in that.

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Sensitiva McFeelingsly said…

    It is a rabbit hole. You are totally right. I spent an ENTIRE DAY once just looking up old shows from Nickelodeon I remembered from my childhood. AN ENTIRE DAY. It was pathetic.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG!!! Not only am I not too young, I'm obviously way too OLD - that EZ reader guy (after me but before my kids) - that's MORGAN FREEMAN?????!!!

    Love it!

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger PunditMom said…

    Groovin' on the Electric Company, baby. As for Sean Cassidy? No way -- David Cassidy all the way!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home