Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It's Almost Like A Message, Or Something

Proverbs 25:11:

"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."


Lately, a lot of Bible-y stuff seems to be resonating to me. Huh.

I suppose that shouldn't surprise me so much, because taken from a purely literary standpoint, the Bible is a hell of a read. But I struggle with faith and Christianity, and the whole dogmatic ball of wax, because to me, taking the Bible as a literal interpretation of historical events is a little like using Wuthering Heights as a how-to guide to Romance.

Eh, I dunno. Just consider it another wtf? moment from a doubting Thomasina. They seem to be happending with alarming frequency lately, prompting me to wonder if the Apocalypse is incipient or something. Because I always kind of thought that it would take looking Jesus and the Devil in the face and having to choose between them to really solidify my faith.

Meaning, I tend to put off important decisions until the very end and then hope like hell that my spur of the moment decision is the right one.

But yeah...weird how all this stuff is just coming at me lately.

Although, not really. I was raised in a Christian home. My in-laws are very, very devout Southern Baptists. I do live in the Bible Belt. I am proselytized to everwhere from the grocery store to the ballpark. Just last night at an actual ball game in fact, I was having a discussion with two other Moms about having babies after forty, (which had just happened to one of them) and was forced to listen to the other preach about how we all just have to "surrender" to God's will in that respect. Gack.

I'm rambling, aren't I? Well, that's because I have all kinds of stuff to say. Too much. Sometimes I get caught up in a glut of thought and I can't really extricate the smaller pieces and put them together in a cohesive manner. So this is what you get today.

I know, I stink lately. But tomorrow, I promise a nice juicy story about how I wrangled with the school social worker over an attendance issue. I'm on the radar, you see. Because obviously, I am keeping my kid home from school to allow the bruises to heal.

Or, he could have had bronchitis and then the freaking flu for two weeks. And certainly sending me intimidating letters will help, by causing me to panic and send my child back to school before he is fully well, further exacerbating the already nearly pandemic nature of this amazingly hale and hardy virus.

Anybody got a bible verse for that?

12 Comments:

  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    The entire Song of Solomon

     
  • At 11:39 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    Jesus Wept.

    (what IS going on with all the bible verses? i wish i could come over and find out.

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When you have a chance to breathe...read The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs...

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My sister once got upset that she was so carefully vetted when she wanted to adopt. This seemed odd to me, because we came from such an abusive home, so you would think she would appreciate the carefulness.

    Try not to feel under attack and instead remember they are just following protocol so all the evil parents out there cannot get away with it. They have no way of knowing you are a good parent until they investigate.

    Does that make sense?

     
  • At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I always enjoy reading the way you write your reaction to "bible-y stuff" because you always say it in a way that I wish I could. I tip toe around my own strong opinions about it for fear of offending.

    Sorry about the social worker ... not fun.

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Several courses of action for the social worker (next time).

    Save a bag of barf
    Ask her to come babysit
    Send her a tape of a nasty bronchitis cough and ask her if she thinks Simon will like it.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Polgara said…

    Hi,
    I read your blog all the time and always feel i should leave a comment as i always really enjoy it but i never do as i can never think of anything lol
    Anyway i found this blog

    http://bloggerfiction-toots.blogspot.com/

    and thought you might be interested, it sayas about itself...

    Exercise the mind. Here you will find writing exercises designed to get you going. Post your draft for constructive criticism. No one will bite. The rules: Say at least three good things and three bad things about the story. Periodically we'll have a free form and contributors will post other original work for display. If you'd like to join the site, please e-mail

    Thought it might be right up your street!

    Pol x

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Am I the only Christian that reads your blog? LOL

    My dear husband said, "Why do you read that?" I do because then in my mind I respond to what you are saying, and it's an exercise to see if I KNOW what I believe. Plus sometimes you are funny. I enjoy laughing.

    BUT -- today I wanted to post what I thought... you know why the bibley stuff comes to mind don't you?

    Because -- God said it would. Learn it as a child, and it will pile up like snow, only to melt later on. It will come to you later -- just as God has planned. Just try running from it... Ha ha haa... Ü (That's more of a giggle... not a sarcastic bitter evil ha ha ha).

    Keep on thinking -- then eventually you'll realize... Oh.. God's word is true. He never fails.

    I pray God blesses you today.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I live in Georgia and got that letter, too. I even submitted a doctor's bill with one of the notes I sent in. Guess I should just send my daughter to school, let her vomit on the premises, and then go pick her up.

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Probably something from JOB would work here.

    I do believe in God. I just don't believe he controls or manipulates things down here. He neither rewards nor punishes omn earth. I think we don't know and are not meant to know until a later time.

    "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."
    1 Corinthians 13.1

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Momster said…

    I don't know you but I love your blog. I am confused about religion but the same things keep happening to me. I can't believe that I got up the nerve to comment on your post today. I was Baptized Presbyterian. My parents were Deacons. All the adult parties included alcohol. I was an alcoholic at 14 and after my dad divorced our family I used drugs at home with my mom. This left me very confused religiously. I try to be a good person but I've had many, many obsticles to overcome. I have been clean for 10 years but I don't feel the need to go to Church. Is your son's social worker religious? Just wondering.... Thanks for your posts. You always give me something to think about!

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    Nina has missed so much school this year that I've been waiting for a call myself. It's nice to be on the radar....at least you know they care.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home