Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I Feel Old

I actually got the day off from jury waiting today.

I took my boys to the pool, but did not swim. Instead I sat in a lounge chair and listened to the various conversations happening around me. One hears interesting things when other people are speaking in an ungaurded fashion.

I wasn't eavesdropping...I was obviously close enough to hear anything being said and no particular pains were being taken to be discreet. Sometimes when people are deep in conversation, they forget that others are in earshot.

Anyway...

I was sitting in a patch of shade near the baby pool, where two young mothers were talking about George Carlin having died.

Mother #1: "Hey, did you hear George Carlin died?"

Mother #2: "Oh no! Not Mr. Conductor!"

Mother #1: "I know...there will never be another narrator like him. I never liked any of the other Mr. Conductors."

GAK.

She only knew him as Mr. Conductor. She had no idea he was a brilliant comedian and social satirist with a penetrating insight and excoriating wit.

And I suddenly felt much, much older than any 39 year old person should.

R.I.P George Carlin.

Many will remember you for your seven words, your ridiculous arrest, your fight against censorship, and your amazing comedic ability. But the fact that you are also remembered as the beloved Mr. Conductor on an iconic children's television program, just shows that you had style, depth, character and versatility beyond measure.

You will be missed.

13 Comments:

  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger Foofa said…

    Wow. I had forgotten him as Mr. Conductor

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Gross|Photo said…

    Amen!!! I'm certainly going to miss him and I'm far, far past 39. He was my favorite comedian for many years.

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger Green-Eyed Momster said…

    I'm going to cry. :(

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger Woman in a Window said…

    His ablility to push down walls...and then kick every last brick the clear outta there! Brilliant man and funny, too!

     
  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love him as mr conductor but he was a great comedian

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Blogger Pgoodness said…

    Really? Mr. Conductor? THAT is what they thought of? Man, I feel old, too. He was amazing...whatever he did was good in its own way.

    One of my favorites? Bill & Ted. He was Excellent.

    :-)

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger PunditMom said…

    Going to bang my old head against the wall now.

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger SUEB0B said…

    I had never heard of Mr. Conductor

     
  • At 10:17 PM, Blogger crazymumma said…

    I dont remember him as mr C. I show my age i suppose when I only remember him as George Carlin.

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger josetteplank.com said…

    Me too! I had completely forgotten that he was Mr. Conductor!

    I remember once talking about the Beatles with my husband, and my eldest daughter said, "My favorite Beatle is Ringo. He's Mr. Conductor!" John and Paul never had a chance.

    RIP Mr. Conductor Carlin. Long live Ringo Starr.

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger sltbee69 said…

    If you are old, then I am too. I didn't know him as Mr. Conductor either.

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger kevin black said…

    No cynic's library is complete without at least one copy of something he wrote. His books are hilarious.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Notes and letters to myself.... said…

    Oh gads ladies -- I remember listening to 7 words you can never say on television on a real record:) Now that's old:)

    George Carlin -- amazing human:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home