Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Earworm

I am particularly susceptible to earworms.

I don't know why. So is Diminutive One. For me, and him, it seems, the only thing to be done about it is just indulge it to the fullest until the spell is broken and the brain resets itself back to the default position.

For me that would be litanizing all the things that need to be done every day in the life of a wife and mother.

Recently, Diminutive One had a particularly insidious earworm. For three days, he had "Livin' On a Prayer" on constant rotation. He downloaded every single version available on iTunes, including the version by Alvin and the Chipmunks and tormented us all by playing them over and over and over, until we too had been afflicted by the beastly worm.

Now it's me.

The song that is currently on continuous replay in my head is one that I heard only once on an episode of Medium. All I could recall were the opening strains; a catchy string arrangement that I just couldn't shake from my consciousness.

Doot doot doodoodoo doot doot do

Doot doot doodoodoo doot doot do

Doot doot doodoodoo doot doot do

Doot doot doodoodoo doot doot do

Doot doot doodoodoo doot doot do


Absolutely Maddening.

I knew what to do. But I didn't know the name of the song or the artist, and for several days, I simply could not recall where I had heard it. It took some doing, but I was finally able to drag it up from the depths of my memory and then do the necessary research.

The reason I hadn't recognized the song is because I've never really listened to any of this band's music. I think I might, now. Catchy stuff, that.

Anyway, enlightened and duly saturated, I am free.

So of course, I feel beholden to infect pass it on to you my dear readers.

Behold the earworm.



Don't fight it.

Embrace the madness.

15 Comments:

  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger TZT said…

    My 3 yo likes started singing the Jeopardy theme song regularly recently. And I thought the new Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme was bad...

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger Lara said…

    i fully understand how that song could get stuck in your head for 3 days straight. VERY catching.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said…

    Last weekend we went over to his parent's house. I went out in the back yard to watch the last of the sun setting and he went back inside. I sang the refrain, "All by myself..." ala Celine Dion, and finished the chorus.

    The rest of the night, anytime one of the eight adults there went somewhere by themself (like the bathroom, say), one could hear the sad refrain lifting and echoing from that person.

    I am a terrible person to have started such a thing.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We hear this song all the time on the Sirius station we listen to in the truck.

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Blogger Notes and letters to myself.... said…

    it's a world of laughter, a world or tears
    its a world of hopes, its a world of fear
    theres so much that we share
    that its time we're aware
    its a small world after all


    its a small world after all
    its a small world after all
    its a small world after all
    its a small, small world


    You can hit me later.

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love Coldplay!! so it's an awesome song to be infected with :o)

     
  • At 12:37 AM, Blogger flutter said…

    I uuusssed to ruuuuuuuule the wooooorld seas would rise when I gave the word....

     
  • At 2:13 AM, Blogger Christine said…

    I don't watch Medium, but my husband does. When catching this tune, I thought it was an 80's tune.

    BA, I can't tell you enough how much I admire that you've stayed true to your original blogging platform. I didn't think that the little tweaks I made *here* and *there* would matter...but they did.

    You are amazing. I'm forever a fan.

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger Avalon said…

    When I was first reading, I got all excited thinking you were quoting "Doot Doot" by Freuer. Alas, just Coldplay.

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger Ruth Dynamite said…

    At first I was like, "Earworm? Good god! Sounds awful!" But then...oh. Got it. I now have an earworm too - thanks for sharing!

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Shelley Jaffe said…

    Ooh, me lovee this song!

    I run the risk of saying this out loud, as every time I say I like a song from a band my sons like, they get all freaky on me. Like they invented music or something.

    Younger son and I were also suffering from earworm yesterday with "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz. So happy, so uplifting. So insidious.

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Infect yourself all over again -- check out "Heartless" by Kanye West. So good!

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hah! Heard this the other day on my favorite Blip.fm dj's blipstream (http://blip.fm/adbert), knew I'd heard it somewhere (couldn't remember where - now I know - and am infected all over again!

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    I have never heard of "earworm" and when I read that I took it literally... and couldn't believe that you admitted to the whole world (or bloggy world) that you have worms in your ears.

    I'm glad I misinterpreted that! :)

     
  • At 1:18 AM, Blogger Rob said…

    I'm with Ruth & Amy - apparently I've been living under a rock somewhere because I'd never heard the term "earworm" before. But I so do have this same affliction! My wife discovered the AT&T MusicID Service that's helped my condition - when I hear a song that I simply must identify, I call the number #43 & hold the phone next to a speaker. After about 30 seconds, they text me back the song info & charge me a buck. If they can't ID the tune, I don't get charged. However, you've gotta be an AT&T subscriber for this to work.

    Now, I was severely afflicted with Coldplay's "Vida La Vida" when it first came out. And I found out something very interesting...

    Not one, but two other artists are claiming that Coldplay's song copies their original songs. And the thing is, it's hard to hear these and not find yourself agreeing! Listen for yourself:

    Joe Satriani - "If I Could Fly"

    Creaky Boards - "The Songs I Didn’t Write"

    Andrew Wasson of the Creative Guitar Studio put together a painstakingly detailed 2-part music theory analysis that's a bit dense & dry but still interesting:

    Did Coldplay Copy Satriani? (Part 1)

    Did Coldplay Copy Satriani? (Part 2)

    If you had managed to get that earworm dislodged, this is sure to reinfect ya!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home