Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Home At Last

By now, most of you probably know about my deep and abiding love for a woman named June.

Sadly, she has been in a box for over a year. Every once in a while, I slide her out from between the cardboard and bubble wrap, and just look at her. It makes me happy. And oddly, looking at her imparts a serenity that is very pure and organic. The chemicals in my brain react somehow to the juicy hues and the languid pose.

This past week, we have finally begun redecorating our ugly, ugly, ugly master bedroom.

For thirteen years we have lived in this house. And for thirteen years, I have lived with sickly mint green walls, garish brass fixtures, and a vomit colored electric blanket tacked over the window in lieu of draperies.

Needles to say, it has not been a space that inspires. I don't know what it says about me as a person or as a possible headcase, but I need beautiful and tranquil surroundings to maintain my peace of mind. I consider it a form of Spiritual Lipstick.

We are hoping to move back to my hometown sometime soon, but of course, the economy and the housing clusterfuck that currently exists make that a remote possibility at present. So, while the powers that be labor to fix the problem, we are laboring to make our ugly little fixer upper as attractive as possible to faciliate a sale, if and when the economy recovers.

We have made much progress. And finally, the master bedroom is getting a makeover.

I love color. I don't care what is current or trendy or fashionable. I don't care that, according to real estate experts, I should really paint everything beige.

So I have agonized over what colors to choose for my new bedroom. Orange was a given. It's my favorite color in the whole world. But what accent colors? What metals on the fixtures? How to coordinate the attached bath without being too matchy matchy?

I chose colors I loved, but I worried that they were too bold and too deep for the space. I worried that they were not conventional.

My Mom, who, along with my Dad, has spent 30 years renovating their 100 year old Craftsman style home, convinced me that sometimes, you just have to take a risk. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. But the only thing that is lost is some time and effort, and a little bit of paint.

So I did it. I took a risk.

My color pallette:

Walls: Faded Clay (deep, earthy terracotta)
Ceiling, doors, window insets: Canyon (warm orange based tan)
Trim: Rustic Earth (deep rich brown)

We painted this past weekend, and from the moment the first stroke went on the ceiling, I was concerned. The colors are gorgeous. But I just didn't know if they were going to work.

And I have been inordinately concerned about lamps.

Long, long ago, Husband worked for a well known furniture company and we were able to buy home furnishings at deeply discounted prices. One thing we bought was a pair of ridiculously expensive green Carerra marble lamps that we could never have afforded otherwise.a They are not the kind of thing one discards. So we've had them for almost 20 years. Would they go with the new furnishings, or would there be too many conflicting hues?

And what about June, my beloved June?? Would she fit in with the color scheme and the bedding, which is beautiful, but busy? Perhaps it would be too much, the color of June's gown against the riot of color in the bedspread and the green marble lamps.

Would it all work?????

We aren't finished yet. The crown molding hasn't been hung and I haven't painted the insets on the doors and windows. But yesterday, I put everthing together to eyeball it.

Here is what I saw:



Here's a picture of the wall color and trim together. I'm still not sold on the brown, but I'm committed now, since I've done more coats of trim paint than I ever thought to or want to again. And I did it freehand. No tape. I think it would take an act of God to cover it now anyway. The crown molding will be the same brown as the baseboards.



And here is a picture of the ridiculously expensive outlet and light switch covers I had to have. Originally, I had planned just to paint the cheap plastic ones to save money. But I happened across these and decided it was fate. They were $8!!! I don't know about you, but that's strikes me as extravagant for an outlet cover. But, in my own defense, I only put them on the switches outlets that show. I still ended up spending a stupid amount of money on a relatively insignificant detail.

Eh well. Sometimes you just have to.



Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. I think it's so warm and inviting.

You might find it busy and garish, and that's okay. I find neutrals bland and uninspiring. To each his own.

But personally? I think June has found a home.

22 Comments:

  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger All Things BD said…

    June is going to look fabulous on that wall. Love that color.

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Anonymous OmegaMom said…

    Yum! Nice colors! June will look great, and you will feel warm & embraced.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Amy Sue Nathan said…

    I saw the top photo and got the chills!! Gosh that's going to be one gorgeous room. As for the light switch covers, my only word for that purchase is DUH. How could you not???

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love it. Great color scheme that looks a lot like Tuscany. I don't know if that's what you meant, but you hit it!

     
  • At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The backround on your blog looks like a repeated pattern from the printed material seen in the photo under your lamp.

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said…

    I could never live there (as I have a thing about orange, goes waaaay back, trying to overcome, buuuut . . . anyway, it does look grand. And fits so very nicely with the lovely June.

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    I took a risk with our bedroom, too. I wanted a deep gold and wound up with a honey mustard instead - it went on the walls completely differently than I had anticipated. I painted the entire room by myself and I had these little panic attacks while I was painting, especially when my father came in during the second coat and told me it looked awful and what had I done?

    But in the end, it worked. Really well. I love the colour, and the way our furniture - and our art - goes against it. Two of our most favourite and beloved paintings are in our room and it's nice to see them looking good, KWIM?

    June will look great against those walls. Orange is my favourite colour in the world, too.

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Rob said…

    I recently repainted our bedroom with a very similar terra cotta orange. We have espresso brown leather headboard and furnishings and natural (tan-colored) curtains. It's a very sharp color combo!

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Ruby said…

    Gorgeous.

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    really lovely, BA

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your bedroom colors are fantastic.

    Flaming June has long been my favorite painting. She will be very comfortable slumbering in your bedroom.

    b

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You seem like the kind of person who enjoys antagonism. Well I think you're absolutely insufferable. Stick to the goddamn pen and paper.

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Ruth Dynamite said…

    It's earthy and sensual and rich. Love it!

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Anonymous baronessvonb said…

    I could not help but noticing, right from first glance as I hurried down the page of this post to get to the visuals, how perfect the wall color is for June's complexion. And that light plate? Gorgeous.

    Beautifully done!

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love your bedroom. You have a great eye. June will be very happy in her new surroundings. Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous gurukarm (@karma_musings) said…

    Wow. Lovely! It's clear that in the back of your mind was making a complementary home for June :-) She will look so lovely on one of those walls.

    Go you!

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger Lara said…

    oh, i think it's so beautiful! i would have splurged on those switch covers too - they're excellent. :)

     
  • At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No one gives a shit about you redecorating your stupid room, asshole. Blogs ARE stupid, so why do you have one detailing every aspect of your inane life?

     
  • At 8:39 PM, Anonymous AA said…

    HAHAHAHA! Nothing is funnier than someone telling you how stupid your blog is, yet they are reading it, and taking the time to comment. And leave stupid comments at that! Apparently they do give a shit!

     
  • At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Beth C said…

    That room is going to be so beautiful! Those colors are awesome and everything looks so good together!

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger Kiy said…

    I'm a bit late to this, as I am playing blog-reading catch-up. However, I wanted to say when I was reading your color choices I was a tad, um, concerned. I understand color (right there with ya babe!) but oh my, I just couldn't picture those choices. But then, your photo! I stand SO corrected. Wow and a half! In fact, can you come and do our master bedroom, the formal living room (for unformal type folks) and the eat-in kitchen? And well, I'd love to do something really amazing in the master bath too, if you have the time! :)

    Seriously. What a leap of faith that I really really think worked. Wow.

    Kiy

    P.S. Love the switch plates. I totally understand why you needed them. Swoon.

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    I can't wait to see the entire finished room. I am quite sure it will be stunning, cozy, and romantic for sure.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home