Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Holy #&%*

I got the job.

In a hugely ironic twist of fate, I will be working for the Marketing Department of an IT Services Company as the, ummmm, hmmmmm. I don't seem to have a title.

Basically, this company wants to expand their reach into the blogosphere (more specifically, they want to target Moms and Mom bloggers) and the various social media venues.

That's where I come in.

I will create a blog for their site/product, as well as establishing a presence for their company in the vast social media network.

Then, I will update content and maintain these various platforms as well as developing other avenues to promote the product.

This is a very diverse company and right now I am dedicated to this particular project, but the owner says he has about a billion things he can use me on.

The coolest part? They have just hired an honest to goodness journalist who used to work for a very well known television media GIANT, and I will be working closely with him to get this project off the ground.

He is cool. And I am kind of like...revering him. But maybe that will wear off and I will be able to talk to him without sounding like a complete moron.

As I said in my earlier post...this all happened incredibly fast. A friend of mine works for this company. She thought that I was the perfect person for the position as soon as her boss mentioned he was thinking of hiring someone. She hadn't wanted to tell me about it until he had fully committed to the idea and was ready to go forward, because he had been waffling about it for several months. She didn't want to get my hopes up.

So last week, she emailed me and filled me in. She warned me that she really had no idea when he would actually hire someone. It could be year from now, it could be tomorrow. I said that was fine, since my calendar was free and clear and I certainly had no hard and fast prospects for employment in the near future.

She asked me to send my resume (snort. Resume?) and some writing samples so that when he was ready, she could pounce. So I did, not really expecting anything to come of it.

Yesterday morning she called me at 10:00 am and said her boss had reviewed my stuff, and was ready to talk to me and could I come in today at 3:00?

Commence panicking...in 3...2...1.

So I allowed myself a moment to freak the flock out, but then I pulled my shit together, dug something out of my closet to wear (no panythose this time) and went to the interview.

And it was awesome. I am not well educated, I am not business savvy, I am not experienced. But I can come off as polished and poised and articulate in an interview situation. At least, I could, many years ago. I hoped I still had it, and it turned out, I did.

And it was kind of awesome to be sitting in an office with grownups talking about grownup stuff.

After meeting with the Marketing Director (my friend) and the honest to goodness journalist, they left the office and I knew it was time to talk turkey. He offered me the job and then asked me if I wanted to think about it.

"Um, honestly, I'm ready to jump in. I don't need to think about it. Do you need to think about it?"

"Nope." he said.

And so, I am now, gainfully employed.

And it's not even at Wal-Mart.

WOW.

42 Comments:

  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger merinz said…

    Congratulations! You will enjoy it.

    I went back to work at age 44 after 19 years at home with children. It opened up a whole new life for me. Its busy, but I soon became organised.

    I wish you all the very best!

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Anonymous a Chris said…

    Hey, congratulations! That's how it's supposed to go. Clearly quality shone across the career break. Yeah, I'm a bit of a stream-of-consciousness writer. You know what I mean.

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That's wonderful news. Congratulations!

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger Susan Hasbrouck said…

    Awesome. You give the rest of us hope.

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Bea said…

    Wow, that is amazing news! Congratulations!!!

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Kathryn in NZ said…

    Woohoo!!!! go you! And go your new boss for recognising what your friend already knew: that you are one fantabulous lady.


    yaaaaaaay for BA

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    That's wonderful. It sounds interesting and appropriate for a blogger who is a mom! Congratulations.

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Miz Q said…

    I am as happy and proud for you as if I knew you in real life! ;o)

    I know you will do great! I know this because yours is my very favorite blog design EVER!

    Good luck and Have FUN!

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your job title: Account Executive of Social Media Marketing ;) Congrats!!

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said…

    Cheers x 3!!!

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hot damn!

    Way to go gal!

    Mary in Texas

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger Just Words On A Page said…

    #1 Congrats. In this job market not only were you hired for a great job, hopefully with benefits, but in a job you are probably going to love.

    #2. Do not, I repeat do not write a single morsle about your job here. Please please. I cannot tell you how many people I know, and how many people I have personally terminated for writing about work place stuff on the interent. The two just don't go together.

    #3 - Have fun:) I am really proud of you!

    xoxo

     
  • At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Ellieranc said…

    Congratulations!

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Pgoodness said…

    Wow, congrats!!!!

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger Lara said…

    CONGRATULATIONS!

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm SO proud of you. Your writing is so excellent, I can't imagine who wouldn't hire you. I can't wait to hear about how that paycheck is easing your anxiety. woot!

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    rock the house

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger Lady M said…

    Congratulations!

    You are always articulate and show sound reasoning when you write here, so it follows that you will be able to wow your bosses on this new job. I love reading your work and I'm so glad for you!

     
  • At 12:19 AM, Blogger Carol said…

    You rock! The company rocks for hiring you!

    Have FUN!

    Carol

     
  • At 12:51 AM, Blogger Kathy said…

    De-luring to say: Congratulations! What exciting news!

     
  • At 1:01 AM, Blogger flutter said…

    You. Rock.

     
  • At 7:01 AM, Blogger Avalon said…

    CONGRATS!!!!!!! What a terrific time to be entering a fledgling project. They were very wise to hire you!

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger heidig said…

    Good for you, congratulations!

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations! Wonderful news!

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Reesie said…

    Wahhhhooooo!!! Good for you!

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger NatzG said…

    That is AWESOME! You are the second person (one a personal friend) who has got a job directly because of their personal blogging and social media activities.
    Someone higher up the comment chain mentioned not blogging here about work. I second that. It's one I'm still struggling with...how to define my personal online persona and my professional online persona and how and where they should meet.

    Congratulations!

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger Kim said…

    Congratulations! If you need us to come to the new blog and puff you up (not that you need it) let us know! I assume you won't have the time to write much here, so we will take what we can get.

    Congrats again!

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Anonymous gurukarm (@karma_musings) said…

    Wow indeed! GO YOU!! This is awesome and frightful (I'm sure) all at once - PO and DO are going to have a whole new way to look at you. Cool, huh?

    On Twitter I just ran across this resource you might find useful(or might not - I'm just throwing it out there) in your new job. Caveat - I haven't actually gone to each and every post, but the titles look helpful.

    I'm glad for you and for your family; I'm sure this will ease the lost-job pressure on your hubs a bit.

    And, did I say? GO YOU!! :-)

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Anonymous gurukarm (@karma_musings) said…

    Oh, and duh! Here's the afore-mentioned resource: http://businessandsocialmediaresources.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    Congratulations!!! That's awesome.

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Lisa said…

    Congrats and yay!

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Sarah said…

    Congrats, congrats, congrats!

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Congratulations. That job sounds perfect for you. You go girl.

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Lisa63 said…

    Congratulations! May it be the start of bigger and better things.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger SUEB0B said…

    It was meant to be! Right person, right place, right time.

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Tania said…

    I've got a big smile for you right now. That's great news!

     
  • At 6:02 AM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    SO happy for you!

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's the ultimate in irony: A blogger with a blog named Blogs are Stupid gets a job in the blogging world, lol!

    You are going to be fantastic. You've got what it takes so let your star shine!

    Here's to much success!

     
  • At 7:42 AM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    I am so proud of you. CONGRATULATIONS!

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Sarahviz said…

    Huge congrats! Today of all days, my work computer let me on to your blog - finally! So glad to hear your exciting news.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Anonymous KB said…

    YAY!!! Have fun!

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger The Women's Colony said…

    Congrats on sticking the triple salchow!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home