Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sorta Kinda Almost The Same

Remember how thrilling back to school used to be? Well, admittedly, its still thrilling as an adult, but for entirely different reasons.

But back then, what I really looked forward to was picking out all new school supplies. It was consolation for the fact that our glorious freedom had come to an end and that the next nine months would find us ensconsed inside a classroom being force fed a steady diet of facts and figures.

I remember almost every lunchbox I ever had, but three really stand out in my memory as the coolest of the cool; Holly Hobby (1st grade), Six Million Dollar Man (2nd grade) and Charlie's Angels (4th grade).

I remember stiff new clogs and thick knee socks and a new vest with rainbow stripes on it, just like Mork from Ork. I remember Ten-O-Six and Love's Baby Soft and Bonne Belle lip smacker in the little tin with the slide off top. I remember cowl neck sweaters with stick pins and glasses with a silver initial sticker in the corner of one lense.

Scented markers that made you woozy, folders with sparkly unicorn graphics, notebooks with crisp clean pages, and then one year, a true miracle of modern stationary...pens that erased.

I developed a deep abiding love of school supplies that has stayed with me. Each year, I have looked forward to purchasing school supplies for my boys, and have always been a little puzzled by their lack of enthusiasm. But it's not the same these days. The kids all get hot lunch, so the thrill of buying a new lunchbox is unknown to them. And they're just so used to getting new things any old time, that the magical retail abandon of back to school shopping has been lost.

SIGH.

So...anyway...going back to work is kind of like going back to school.

I realized I had no way to transport my laptop. I have no case because the stupid thing has never left my house. I needed a refill for my day planner, which I haven't used since 2004; that ill-fated year that I volunteered to be a PTSA chair. I thought I should have a few new things to wear, since most of my wardrobe is most definitely not suitable for the office. A few pens, a couple legal pads...a gal has to take notes during meetings afterall.

So yesterday I went out and bought myself a gorgeous faux alligator work tote with laptop sleeve and lots of room for essential working woman type stuff. I bought three new tops to go with the black and khaki dress pants that have been languishing in the back of my closet. I bought some sleek pens with ergonomic grips. I bought all manner of note taking paraphanalia. I bought a business card case, cause I was informed in a rather blase manner, as if it were the most mundane detail in the world, that my business cards would probably take two weeks. Business cards??? Be still my heart.

Ohhhh, it was a special special day. And as I stood there admiring the stylish insulated lunch bags that didn't look at all like lunch bags, I was reminded of that day so long ago, when the thing I looked forward to most, was the opportunity to unscrew the cap on my Holly Hobby thermos to enjoy some lukewarm Hi-C.

I think my first day of work is going to be almost as exciting as that day.

Almost.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    I remember all those things too--Love's baby soft brought back all sorts of memories; is it even still around? It sounds like you're all ready to go. Good luck!!

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said…

    How excited I am for you and the brand new adventure you're about to encounter.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My glasses had a gold initial in the corner - I had forgotten about that :-)
    Best of luck on your new adventure!

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    Good luck! Hope you love your job!!

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Amy Sue Nathan said…

    I have such a smile on my face reading about your foray down the working mom aisle of the office supply store.

    I'm glad you treated yourself to some new stuff - and new clothes. You deserve it!

     
  • At 1:00 AM, Blogger Lara said…

    I'm so nervous about the first day of school next week. What am I going to wear?!

    I'm glad you're excited, and I can't wait to hear more!

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so delighted for you - congratulations! It almost sounds as though all of this were meant to be.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home