Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Seriously?

I know I'm a day late, but I had bigger fish to fry. Now that I've had time to consume all the post-Oscar snarkiness being bandied about the blogosphere (the bow really wasn't *that* bad) and turn everything over in my mind, I'm really quite convinced that the Academy has lost their collective mind.

"It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp"?? Seriously?

I guess I have been laboring under the false assumption that good music... particularly music good enough to win an Academny award... is that which inspires, touches, uplifts, and speaks to its listeners. Its music that puts a lump in your throat, a song in your heart, or a spring in your step. It makes you want to jump to your feet and move your body, it makes you want to sing at the top of your lungs. It's mustic that is so amazingly, perfectly, universally MOVING that people are compelled to listen to it over and over again.

I could have gone my whole life without hearing this song and been none the worse for it. Further, having heard it, I am in fact, the worse for it, as anyone who has the misfortune to be subjected to violent, misogynistic rantings shouted discordantly at bone jarring decibels in time to a ridiculously rudimentary and bombastic "melody", is sure to be.

One cannot even argue for its merit based on important social commentary, unless one considers illuninating the plight of the modern day pimp "important"; poor misunderstood parasite that he is. There is simply nothing of value or relevance in this song. It is merely a vehicle for spreading hatred and scorn, and a clumsy one at that. There is nothing uplifting or inspiring about and individual who rises above by subjugating and exploiting those weaker than him. Its revolting and wrong, and the Academy should be ashamed.

But you know...maybe I just don't get the whole genre. Maybe I don't understand the beauty inherent to a culture of violence. Maybe I don't appreciate the raw poetry of pimp life. That's entirely possible, considering that I'm a white, middle class female who has never turned tricks. (That one time in college doesn't count..that was a gratuity, not a fee.) So maybe it's just me.

Nevertheless...I will not worry about my lack of social conscience in ignoring the plight of the modern day pimp. I'll play my Carpenters with unabashed enthusiasm, and I will happily Sing Sing a Song.

Now there's a tune, dammit.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I could have gone my whole life without hearing this song and been none the worse for it."

    AMEN...I couldn't agree more - Music worthy of winning 'Best Song' should be a bit more uplifting and/or inspiring than "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" - are you kidding me? What was the Academy smoking...and can i have some?? wtf?

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger Mom101 said…

    While I agree with most of this, I will confess I was rooting for "Blame Canada" from the South Park movie a few years back. But only because "Uncle Fucka' wasn't nominated.

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    HAHA!!!! This post has me in stiches!!

    But how happy were those rappers to win the Oscar huh? They couldn't believe how brain dead the Academy has become either!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home