Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Random Thoughts

WHEW. That was tough. I'm finally starting to feel human again, but it was touch and go for a while. I actually considered going to the doctor. Yeah. It was that bad. You laugh, but when a chronic doctor avoider such as myself even considers involving a health care professional, believe me, it's bad.

A couple years back, I got terribly, terribly sick. I was so sick I was practically comatose. I didn't want to move. I didn't want to open my eyes. I kept telling my husband that if he would just leave me alone I would be fine in a day or two. He believed me for a while, but when I started speaking in tongues, he took the initiative to call the Dr.. Then he dressed me, half carried, half dragged me to the car and drove me to the office. It turned out I really was very sick. I got even sicker when I had a bad reaction to one of the meds that had been prescribed, but again, I insisted I would be just fine. Hubby once again came to the rescue. He called the doctor, explained that now, in addition to the laundry list of symptoms I had when I went in, I was puking my guts up in alarming quantities as well. Anoter medication was prescribed and I got better.

You'd think I would learn, right?

So anyway, I'm feeling better now.

Some random thoughts from me, since I still can't really conjure up any brilliance or insight....

I'm reading Stephen King's new book "Lisey's Story" and I'm not digging it. It's a little disjointed, a little cryptic. The voice just doesn't seem right. It's a little contrived. And though he has successfully and convincingly written from a woman's perspective before, this time, it sounds like a man trying to write from a woman's perspective. I had high hopes for this book because I've always thought that he did such an incredible job of getting down to the bare bones of relationships and emotional baggage and the raw neediness that people have for one another. I'm disappointed. Maybe I just need to read a little further.

Why do politicians send pre-recorded phone messages? People HATE telemarketers. People HATE spam. Political pontification via my telephone really PISSES ME OFF and I can't imagine I'm the only one. What marketing genius told these people telephone campaiging was a good idea? You know what works? Those little signs that people put in their yard. The couple who just moved in next door have a sign in their yard in support of a candidate for Insurance Commisioner. Because they are a gay couple, I was curious about what kind of issues this candidate was supporting. I went to his website, I did some research. I will be voting for him. Voila.

My cat is eating his ass. He hasn't been outside for six months. Six long months. He has no fleas. He is not eating anything new. But all of a sudden, he seems pretty intent on eating all of the flesh off of his posterior and tail. It's nasty. I put the collar that he wore after his surgery back on him so he couldn't gnaw on himself anymore. He is not amused.

We consulted a psychologist about Diminutive One this week. His behaviors have been escalating to an alarming degree and he is not doing well socially or academically. He is not a bad kid, and I don't want him to think that he is inherently bad. But when he is constantly being told he is bad, that is exactly what is going to happen. I've got to help him find a way to navigate through life without pissing people off so much. When asked if he would be willing to talk to a special kind of doctor about his feelings, he immediately and surprisingly responded in the affirmative. I feel a little relieved because the responsibility is no longer resting on my shoulders alone. Maybe someone who knows what the hell they are doing can help us.

I have been watching the new show "Jericho". I have never been much of an alarmist or a doomsayer. In fact, I usually practice the Ostrich defense when it comes to large scale crisis. When 9/11 happened, I didn't turn on the tv if I could help it. It was a bone of contention between Husband and me, because he was compelled to be tuned in every waking moment, whereas I couldn't deal with the constant onslaught of horrifying sounds and images. When people were stockpiling food and water for Y2K, I scoffed. But this show man...it's freaking me out. It's making me want to put together an emergency preparedness plan and start squirrelling away tampons and toilet paper. In this show, many major cities have been decimated by nuclear explosions, Atlanta being one of them. The fact is, I live on the outskirts of a city that is an International hub. It's not beyond the scope of believability that it could be targeted by terrorists some day. I wonder how much it would cost to build a fallout shelter.

I am also watching "Heroes". The guy that plays Mohinder? SSSSSSSSSMOKING.

Tomorrow I go in for Lasik. It's going to be somewhat surreal to see without glasses. I wonder how long it will take me to stop trying to push them back up on my nose, or reaching for them in the night. I have been monumentally selfish in pursuing the surgery. It's going to make things tight for a while. I could have saved us a lot of money if I had waited until after the first of the year and used the flexible spending plan, which takes pre-tax money from Husband's paycheck and deposits it in a medical savings account. But if I hesitate, I will lose my nerve. It's as simple as that. So I am going forward, selfish though it undoubtedly may be.

Forgive my inattentiveness and lack of commenting this week and thanks to all who stopped by and left comments even though I have not been able to reciprocate. I will be back to my regular blogging self by Monday, I think. I have a few ideas swirling around in my head and I will try to coalesce them into some riveting reading. If I'm able to read after surgery, I will make the rounds and try to catch up.

Wish me luck. GULP.

12 Comments:

  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Foofa said…

    Love Heroes. Extra love Mohinder.

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad to find that you are starting to feel better. Good luck with your Lasix. I've worm glasses for 41 years and am so jealous. If I was 20 years younger I'd find a way to have it done too.

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear you are feeling better. Good luck with the lasik, and don't forget to tell us all about it ASAP!

    Good news about taking D.O. to talk to someone. I am a firm believer in therapy, and not just when things seem bad. I am sure you will have a positive experience and results.

    Too bad about the Stephen King novel. I love him and was looking forward to a new read. Let us know if it starts to turn around!

     
  • At 4:43 PM, Blogger Bea said…

    Yeah. I think maybe Indian men are the hottest. Sayid from Lost too. Mmmm...

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    Mohinder, oh gawd yes.

    Jericho, also freaking me out.

    Thanks for the tip on the new Stephen King book.

    Good luck on your procedure! Awfully glad to hear that you're feeling better ('cause, like you, I need to be missing a limb before I go to the doctor).

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're going to be just fine and asking yourself what took you so long to have Lasik surgery. Suerte!

     
  • At 10:17 PM, Blogger kevin black said…

    I want to hear about the Lasik, including where you went to get it done. Also, glad to hear your cat is enjoying autoerotic analingus. Thirdly, some delightful soul left a comment on my blog responding to something you wrote. You'll have to check it out sometime, and I invite you give her the what-for when you do.

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Namito said…

    Hey there.

    Strong work you're doing with the D.O.
    He sounds like he's having a tough time of it. Therapy is a great idea, and I hope it works out for you all.

    Good luck with everything. You've got a lot on your plate right now, don't you?

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've been watching both of those shows, too, and I agree with you on both points. Hope you feel better soon.

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm dying to know how Lasik went. Kyle's boss just had it done too. I'm really scared to screw around with my eyesight, but damn - it would be so good to be able to SEE.

    And I look forward to an update on the psych visit. I'm glad that Diminutive One was receptive. You guys are such caring parents.

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger ewe are here said…

    Delurking to say I'm really glad you are looking for some help with Diminutive One. I know firsthand that it's incredibly important that a child not feel that s/he is 'bad' and to hear this all the time.

    I was a hyper, very-active, no sleep, go-go-go child, and I often drove people bonkers with my behavior. Finally, when I was just four years old, there was a substitute teacher at the nursery program I attended who wasn't 'warned' about my over-abundance of energy and how to handle me. She decided I was 'bad', told me so repeatedly, and finally locked me in a closet to punish me for being 'bad'. (Yes, a teacher did this! She was later fired.) So I believed her. I was 'bad'. When my mom came for me, she said I was so somber it was scary, and when we got home, I went into the house and shut myself into the back of another closet and wouldn't come out. They had to finally drag me out, wrap me in a blanket and take me to the doctor because I was completely uncommunicative. Total breakdown at the age of four. It took a lot of talking for the doctor to get me through that....

    Sigh. Anyways, again, I'm glad you're looking to the professionals before someone says something really stupid to your Diminutive One and he takes it to heart.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Jaelithe said…

    I agree with you on Mohinder. H-O-T. And he doesn't even have superpowers! (That we know of. Yet.)

    However I must confess that Mohinder competes with Hiro for my affections. Hiro is not hot (though Future Hiro looked pretty badass). But I'm attracted to his personality. I find his geekiness and determination adorable.

    Good luck with Diminuitive One. He sounds a lot like my little brother (who began struggling with a serious impulse control problem, among other behavioral issues, from about the minute he could walk). I am happy to report that my brother is doing much better integrating with others now as a teenager than he did as a young boy. He is actually quite responsible and polite now, I would wager moreso than many other kids his age. It just took him some time. I am sure you will help Diminuitive One get where he needs to be before long.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home