Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Gobsmacked

Today, I went to school to class-sit while the teachers all enjoyed an appreciation luncheon prepared by the PTSA. It was an hour and a half. No biggie. Right?

Holy Insanity Batman.

I honestly don't know what they pay fourth grade elementary school teachers these days, but whatever it is...it isn't nearly enough.

I's absolutely LUDICROUS that actresses and athletes and models are being paid millions of dollars, but those who teach our nation's youth make next to nothing. It's shameful, really.

Teaching is incredibly demanding work. I put it right up there with neurosurgery, astrophyics and stripmining. Seriously. I was there an hour and a half and I need a vacation.

But that's really beside the point.

What I really want to tell you about is the apology I got from the little girl that I wrote about in the "Religious Conundrum" post from a few days ago.

Now, what I didn't say in that post was that she is really a very nice little girl. She has a very big personality. She is effusive and energetic and outgoing and really just larger than life.

She has a flair for the dramatic and I always tease her that she should be in drama class with Diminutive One because she has a way of taking center stage no matter where she is or who else is in the room.

She is not particularly pretty, but she always manages to upstage her more attractive peers. Strangely, they don't seem to resent her for it, maybe because she is just difficult to dislike.

And she seems to genuinely like Diminutive One. The desks are situated in groups, and theirs are together. She often asks him to draw pictures for her and she always takes up for him when there is a dispute or conflict.

So this behavior that she displayed the other day was really out of character for her. It was mean, and she is not a mean spirited child.

Anyway...most of my time was spent trying to keep the chaos at a minimum. I didn't really spend much time interacting with any one child in a manner that could be considered meaningful.

I was more like a drill sergeant in a room full of cadets, especially with the boys, who thought, mistakenly, that they could run rough shod over me. HA. Little did they know I am a battle weary veteran of the testosterone wars. They found out soon enough, the little....darlings.

At one point I saw Diminutive One smirking as I meted out justice to a pair who were being particularly problematic. He knows. But he enjoyed watching the others find out.

But I digress. Imagine that.

So anyway. During the fracas, I suddenly found a pair of slender arms that were encased in something pink and bedazzled wrapped around my waist. I felt a thin, soft cheek pressed against my back. Something was mumbled against my spine.

"Who is that?" I asked.

"It's me, DramaQueen."

"Well hello DramaQueen. What did you say?"

I pulled her around in front of me, and saw that she was crying just a little bit.

"I said, I'm sorry I was mean to Diminutive One."

"Oh. Did you tell him that?"

She nodded.

"I don't really think he's bad. I think he's nice."

"I'm very glad to hear that. He thinks you're nice too."

"But I didn't act nice."

"That's true. But nobody can be nice all the time, right?"

"Yeah."

"Thank you for saying you're sorry. I know it made him feel a lot better."

She sniffled.

"Mrs. Antagonist? My Mom says we can pray for you and Diminutive One, even if you don't believe in God. Would that be okay?"

"Yes, that would be fine. In fact, I think that's very thoughtful of you."

Then she hugged me again, and scampered off.

I stood there, completely gobsmacked. I have no idea what, if anything was said to DramaQueen or by whom. After my email to the teacher, nothing further was said to me other than a brief assurance that the matter would be looked into and taken care of.

I did find out that DramaQueen's mother is a half day teacher at the school, and later that day, I met her when she popped into the classroom to give me money for the teacher's gift from the class. Perhaps it was my imagination, but I thought she had some difficulty looking me in the eye, though she was friendly enough.

Perhaps nothing was said. Perhaps it was the child's own conscience that did the talking. Even if that was the case, I'm satisfied.

I think everyone learned something, maybe not least of all, the adults involved.

One can hope.

16 Comments:

  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Maddy said…

    Gob smacked indeedy! Sometimes things things are so difficult to unravel [after the event] at least for me anyway, but by hook or by crook we keep learning [we old grown up people that is to say]
    Cheers

    This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger we_be_toys said…

    I'm so glad it worked out, so you don't have to move to Alaska to find religious freedom (I'm kidding!!!)
    I hear you in regards to the 4th graders, girl. I volunteer in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade classes every week, and the 3rd graders are savages! Especially with a sub. I had to give my Evil Teacher Eye to a bunch of the 3rd graders today - they were astonished that their favorite Fun Mom could be so tough - HAH!
    PS, don't you just love the way the Boy Wonder talks? "Holy Pile of Fecal Matter Batman!" - Where is he now, I wonder? Probably teaching English to college freshmen, but feel free to speculate - its one of our favorite games!

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    Wow. I'm really impressed by that little girl's apology. There is hope for mankind after all.

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    Oh she is a sweet little thing.

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger anne said…

    What a sweet little girl.

    And I COMPLETELY agree with you on the teacher vs. sportstar/actor/etc. thing. Whenever I hear people complaining about their taxes going up and teachers having it so easy and waa, waa, waa, all I can say is "Try it. Just for 1 day and see if you can make it."

    It is criminal who we glorify in this country.

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    As I read this, I was so glad for you that the little girl apologized. And I've taught school so I agree with you that it isn't as easy as some think. I've actually had people tell me that teachers had it made what with all the vacation time, etc. Of course, this was coming from someone who'd never actually taught school.

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    wow. sometimes it's these small moments that stop us in our tracks. and with that, a bridge was forged.

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's great, BA. I'm glad everything was resolved peacefully.

    Andrea

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    Wow.

    Just...wow.

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger Maureen Fitzgerald said…

    That is awesome - seems like she might actually be getting the IDEA behind all the religion and not just all the regurgitated crap.

    And thanks for the fourth grade teacher acknowledgement. Before having a child, I would have said teaching was the toughest job in the world, now I'd take a room full of 9 year olds for a school day over a cranky non-napping toddler for a whole day. Being a mom is definitely the toughest job ever (and the most rewarding - don't get me wrong!).

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    Thank you for the update... I'd been wondering. Glad she's not a bad kid afterall and I hope D.O. feels better now too!

     
  • At 2:30 AM, Blogger JCK said…

    Great for her learning curve that she apologized.

    Just wanted to say that your new design looks great. And...I ADORE Diana Gabaldon. And her books!

     
  • At 2:30 AM, Blogger JCK said…

    Great for her learning curve that she apologized.

    Just wanted to say that your new design looks great. And...I ADORE Diana Gabaldon. And her books!

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said…

    Handled with real grace, my friend.

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    Let me say that I only have to teach a bunch of 6 & 7 year olds 45minutes a week in our UU church school, and that is enough for me to wish teachers made a million dollars a year. Holy smokes!

    And, that apology from the little girl is precious. I love the fact that she hugged you twice.

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger AA said…

    My guess is that the incredibly young, but vary caring teacher of D.O. and Little Girl took her aside and pointed out that she hurt D.O's feelings. Sometimes kids take things that they have heard and go with them in a direction that is not entirely accurate. This little girl's parents might be really nice and just the right kind of Christians. It sounds like they are raising a thoughtful, sweet child. My own child has said things at school that make me cringe. And he is the one that has told me- no telling what I don't know about.

    Kudos to that little girl, the teacher and you for handling it well. I hope D.O. feels better now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home