Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Peace On Earth, Can It Be

Last night, Husband and I attended a fancy schmancy holiday party at a swanky restaurant in an affluent suburb.

Businessmen, bankers, brokers and surgeons pulled up in luxury vehicles that disgorged well preserved women in designer bodies. Diamonds dangled from lobes and wrists, and danced in the tanned hollows of slender laughing throats.

The staff at this establishment was excellent; solicitious without fawning, respectful but not obsequious. It very obvious that years in the service industry had given them an impeccable sense of the well to do.

They like to tell themselves that they are just like everyone else, but they want to be treated just a little bit better.

I felt a little foolish as we pulled up to the valet in our aging mini van. I opened the door before the valet had a chance, and he smiled as if he knew that I was unaccostomed to such amenities. But it was a kind smile; one of solidarity. He was not contemptuous of my counterfeit finery.

When I left the house dressed in a shimmering blouse and floaty skirt with satin pumps that were the exact same shade of bronze as my blouse and that I had actually capered upon finding after a weeks long search, I had felt very sophisticated indeed.

As we entered the restaurant and I was confronted by the effortless glamour of the truly refined, I began to feel like a cheap immitation; so much paste and glass in a setting that was undeniably glittering, but one that would ultimately dull and flake, revealing the true nature of what lies beneath.

But in our cozy little private room, the company was good, the food was delicious and the wine was flowing freely, thanks to the generosity of Husband's boss, our benefactor for the evening.

Soon enough, I forgot about my discomfort and began to enjoy myself. And as I looked around the room I realized that there were many different segments of humanity represented there. There was Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Catholic, Jewish, Agnostic, Atheist, and probably several others of which I was unaware.

People hugged each other in greeting, they asked about children and loved ones. They laughed and talked and genuinely enjoyed one another's company away from the chaos and stress of the work environment.

And tonight as throughout the year, they are kind and respectful of one another and the very different beliefs held by these people with whom they spend so much time, day in and day out, year after year after year.

Some of these people are fabulously rich. Some are firmly middle class. Some struggle.

And yet, they manage to live in peace with one another. In a small little company, one that is largely insignificant in the larger scope of world affairs, diversity has brought people together instead of driving them apart.

Hmmm.

It's a salient reminder that all that other crap just doesn't matter...the have and the have nots, the believe and the believe nots. Especially this time of year. What matters is Peace. Harmony. Kindness. Love. Fellowship. Humanity.

That sounds sappy, I suppose. But I really believe that.

Maybe that's why this has always been one of my very favorite holiday carols:

19 Comments:

  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said…

    If only our entire world could live with such acceptance of each other. Your evening sounds lovely.

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Blogger painted maypole said…

    David Bowie!?!? Awesome.

    sounds like a good night.

     
  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger Liv said…

    you nailed it, sister. and the other thing? jewelry is marvelous armor against insecurity. but, imagine how you'd feel if you were strapping on 50k in diamonds to bolster yourself before leaving the house. it's not fun.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    i am betting you were the hottest chick there, diamonds or not.

    and yes, i agree with that sentiment...now if we can only get folks to believe it, and nay, better...ACT on it when it's not convenient or easy or when others are suffering.

    God, BA, sorry. i am turning this lovely post into a societal rant.

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow. I was wondering how your night went. Very cool.

    And that video - I've heard it, but never seen it. Beautiful. Thanks.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That anonymous post was me - my computer is acting up and I didn't click the right identity - sorry!

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger thailandchani said…

    Primping.. like a bunch of peacocks. :) I can't help but think though.. for all that surface diversity, it probably seemed rather hollow to those who do struggle.

    Sorry. I don't mean to put a wet blanket on your otherwise lovely post.. but it's my honest reaction.

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger SUEB0B said…

    It's wonderful when you can see the bonds of love that hold us together in the simplest of ways.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Gidge Uriza said…

    You know what is interesting to me, is that I firmly remember watching that video with my grandparents when it was first shown. And they were horrified with that "ugly young man" up there singing with Bing Crosby. Didn't understand the point of it.
    I remember sitting there, thinking about how beautiful his voice was, wondering who he was etc.
    Everytime I see it, I'm a little girl, sitting on my grandparents floor coloring - thinking what a beautiful song.

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Rositta said…

    Diversity doesn't always work as well as you described, too bad though. I enjoyed the video, it made me sad. I am having a problem getting any kind of Christmas spirit this year. Maybe it will still come. I'm certain that you were beautiful...ciao:)

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Avalon said…

    That is my ALL TIME favorite Christmas carol, half because Bowie is my husband-to-be-when-Iman-croaks, and half because it is just beautiful. When he sings " I pray my dreams will come true for my child and your child too", it makes me cry every time.

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger Ms. Skywalker said…

    I've had diamonds, my friend, that meant nothing, absolutely nothing.

    I'd take a seen-better-moments minivan occupied by people that love each other and the world around them anyday, without a moment of hesitation.

    Your soul is by far your greatest accessory.

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    It sounds like an extremely successful evening in more ways than one.

    And now I will have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger anne said…

    I just attended my hubby's company Christmas party as well. I found myself sitting next to a woman - long-distance girlfriend of one of the higher ups - who is the national head for a company that caters to some very exclusive clients. At one moment I had to check in our daughter who was in charge of watching the goat-in-waiting. I almost considered lying about why I had to excuse myself but I thought "Well, this is what I am."

    As it turns out, she was actually interested in the whole farm thing. We hit it off nicely and had great time talking to each other. As it turns out, we have more in common than I ever would have thought.

    Except for the penthouse.

    And the goats.

    Great post, by the way.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said…

    That's my favorite carol too!

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    I remember when that was on TV...I watched it with my mom; we are both Bowie fans. Now we have it on CD, and play it for our kids.

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger Brook Ann ( the Great ) said…

    What a breath of fresh air you always are. Thanks for that.

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger Chanda (aka Bea) said…

    You perfectly captured the spirit of the season.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Mad said…

    I am old enough to remember watching that Christmas special the year it came out on our old console television. It remains a key holiday memory for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home