Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Time Passages



Can someone please explain to me, how this sweet little baby could possibly be old enough to have had his first date Saturday night?

A lot of you have babies, toddlers, even grade schoolers. And I know, you think you have so much time.

You don't.

You think you'll cherish every moment, remember every first, relish every milestone.

You won't.

You think that you will never again have a second to yourself, your life will never be your own, and you'll never enjoy the luxury of sleeping through the night ever again.

You will.

The years go by like quicksilver. Trite but true; time flies on wings so swift and stealthy one scarcely has time to realize that life is passing with diconcerting relentlessness.

Yesterday. It was only yesterday.

I remember this photo session. He couldn't even sit up and I was crouched behind him with his bum cradled in one hand, and the other in the small of his back. He smelled of powder and breastmilk, sweetly mingled to create that special, heady baby perfume.

The photographer had a hard time getting his attention because he was so intrigued and puzzled by my presence on the floor behind him. The bear clutched in his dimpled hands was meant to divert his attention, and it worked. He was tickled pink by the fuzzy little critter. His open mouthed baby smile was really a shriek of delight. It still rings in my ears.

Despite the clarity with which I can recall these moments, my son has, nevertheless, become a boy on the brink of manhood.

His hands are larger than mine. They are no longer chubby little starfish. They have taken on that grown up look of strength and competence. Those impossibly large hands will one day cradle the head of his own newborn child. They will hold another small hand as they cross a busy street. They will steady a heavy bat, or balance a wobbly ballerina.

His shoulders are broad and bony and will be weighted with adult burdens soon. His legs are impossibly long, feet ridiculously large. Now they make him clumsy and awkward. Someday, they will make him seem like an invinceable giant as a little neck cranes upward.

His date's parents (and chaperones for the evening) came to the door when they picked him up. As we talked, he and his lady love blushed and grinned at each other. The air between them hung heavy and electric.

And when they left, I felt my lower lip tremble...just a little.

"Baby...." said husband.

"Well I can't help it!" I said defensively.

He hugged me then, and held me a smidge longer than usual. And then we drank wine and slipped into the new and uncomfortable skin of parents waiting for their offspring to return home safe and whole.

Yesterday. It was only yesterday.

23 Comments:

  • At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what a post to read while holding my newborn

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't DO that.

    (wipes tears)

    Sigh.

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger A Bite of Country Cupcakes said…

    Oh My THE ralisiation that life moves too quickley is approachng as my Eldest starts school next year!
    And to read that post and think of him in Some years well I too can't help myself...I shed a tear or two too.

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    I'm going to second what Wheelsonthebus said. But anytime you want to nibble on some baby cheeks, you just let me know. It's the least I can do for all the pretty words.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Crap! I now want to rush home and cuddle my offspring before POOF! they're too big.

    And the baby's only 11 months old!

    You write so well, it makes me want to hug you, too. Hopefully he came back safe and sound and it gets easier. Because otherwise, I'm going to start collecting wine bottles to get me through those days.

    Oy.

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    oh dammit.

    i can't fathom it yet. or better said, i won't.

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger All Things BD said…

    We recently came across a short love note my 8 year old wrote about a classmate. She's EIGHT YEARS OLD. I'm not ready for that, and now you're talking about DATING. Sigh.

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Blogger Notes and letters to myself.... said…

    oh hugs. I am crying.

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Blogger Notes and letters to myself.... said…

    oh hugs. I am crying.

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger Carol said…

    Truer words were never spoken! Letting THREE go this summer, within a month's time, was excruciating!

    Carol

     
  • At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ahhhh. Oh, man. He's old enough now?! I shrink at the thought of the dotter being old enough to go out on a date.

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger TZT said…

    Oh my.

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Avalon said…

    What a yummy baby he was!

    It all goes by so quickly------and it used to irritate the heck out of me when older people would say that to me as a young, frazzled mother.

    They were so right. I wish i had listened.

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    A lovely and so true story. My "baby" is 29 and I feel the same way. Life flies by, it really does.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Sarahviz said…

    Thanks, yet again, for the reminder.
    *wiping tears away*

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    Oh, I know. Time, it's so fleeting.

    *sniff, sniff*

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Amy Y said…

    Oh he was so cute!
    Thanks for this post and as always a good reminder to enjoy this time and not while it away... It was just lovely.
    I hope he had the best time on his date!

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful post. My girls are two and four and I already feel this way. I try to soak up every minute I am with them because I know soon they will be grown. I am anxious to see them grow but man, I wish I cold keep them this age forever.

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Shelley said…

    So very, very true. I know how uneasy I feel when my two teens are out of the house with friends (in two different directions), and how relieved I am when everyone is home safe. And when they start driving, you need a lot of faith. And yes, lots of wine.

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Once again, I'm moved to tears by your words...

     
  • At 6:50 AM, Blogger crazymumma said…

    It is not even 7 am and yoyu have me all choked up.

    We have them for such a short time huh?

    I was looking at some toddler pyjamas the other day, a specific pair that I had kept as a memory. And I started to cry.

    damn they have us by the short and curlies.

     
  • At 11:32 PM, Blogger Magpie said…

    Sigh. Mine just turned five. It seems like just yesterday that she was born, and tomorrow she'll be going on a date.

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful. My kids are now 22, 20 and 15. You wrote exactly how I feel.

    Thank you. I hang on your every word....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home