Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Face It

I've written a couple times about the evils of Social Media. And I meant everything I said.  But I find that being employed full time seriously infringes upon my freedom to waste time, as I simply have no time to waste. I find that blogging is a time suck that I just don't have time to indulge the way I used to; reading or writing.

And I miss everyone, yannow? I feel disconnected and out of the loop.

So I'm forced to admit that it's easier and quicker to jot a quick little status update on the much maligned Facebook, than to sit down and write something meaningful here. I hate eating crow man. I really, really do. But I can choke it down when I have to.

So here goes:

I understand now why Facebook and Twitter have become indispensable to many people. I still think it's evil, mind you, but I'm obliged to concede that it has its uses.

I'm still not interested in having every Tom, Dick and Harry privvy to the particulars of my private life, or having 600 people on my friend list. I couldn't keep up with that many friends in real life any more than I can online. And I don't want to wade through pages of inanity from people I barely know to get to the meaningful stuff from people I actually do know and want to hear about. I roll my eyes any time I see a friend list longer than 100 people or so.

No offense if you have one. I just don't need my kids' dental hygeinist to know that I had a terrible bout of gas yesterday from the drastically increased amount of fiber I am now taking in and accidentally and completely involuntarily cut the cheese while I was working out.

I wouldn't really post anything like that anyway, but you get my point.

So anyway...I get it now. I still don't love it, but I get it.



                  

11 Comments:

  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger All Things BD said…

    It's so funny that now you're using that periodically as opposed to blogging. I have yet to set up a Twitter or Facebook account, but my reason was that I thought it would be MORE of a time suck for me than blogging. I think your logic makes a hell of a lot more sense than mine.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Miz Q said…

    You have a facebook page? and we don't KNOW about it? (gasp!)

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    I think FB is much more time-consuming than blogging. It's pretty compelling too, although I do much prefer blogging, where I can tell the whole story, vent or ramble. I hate the idea of twitter though; so many of my friends are totally addicted to it. Blech.

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said…

    Yeah, I hear ya.

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Amie Adams said…

    Yeah, I'm one of those folks. I don't take it personally. Not like I followed everyone. Grateful for tools that help me separate things out so I can pay attention to those near and dear to me.

    My blog almost went away b/c of twitter, but I missed the deeper conversations of blogs. So I'm back.

     
  • At 4:33 AM, Anonymous gurukarm (@ said…

    I've often thought when I stop by here (and even said on Twitter!) that I wish you were on it too. I understand your feelings about it, but it hasn't stopped me from hoping you'd change your mind sometime.

    If/when you do, you could set it to private, and just let us, your friendly readers, know you're there, m'kay? ;-)

     
  • At 4:35 AM, Anonymous gurukarm (@karma_musings) said…

    Hmmph. Stupid iTouch, too early in the morning. Hit the wrong key too fast.

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Lara said…

    It's all in how you choose to use them, right? For me, I spend a TON of time on Facebook, but that's because I'm nosy and everyone's always updating stuff and I can be privy to all the insides of their lives. That's my hang-up and it means FB is a HUGE time suck. But blogging? Less so.

    For you, I'm glad you've found something you feel is a quick and easy way to stay connected to those you care about. :)

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    um... yes.

    ~tracy~

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger OhTheJoys said…

    Amen. Word. I am right there too.

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger mamatulip said…

    I enjoy Facebook, although quite honestly, I am itching to do a huge friend purge but am too afraid of hurting people's feelings - yes, I am a huge pansy ass. I know, I know. And I do have a Twitter account, although I just can't get on the Twitter bandwagon. I tried - I really did - but I don't get the appeal. I'm fine with Facebook; Twitter I can pass on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home